Unlikely Problem

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Unlikely Problem

Post by Montgomery » 18 Jan 2023, 22:46

I can no longer feel Montgomery's ribs and he's getting a bit of a paunch. When he rides on my shoulders, he usually puts his feet in my hood and he's yanking the front of my sweater up and it isn't good! I don't want him gaining any more weight. The trouble is, he's an unpredictable eater. Sometimes he cleans his plate, sometimes he eats just enough, and we were told to feed him six times a day. He's steadily put weight on since we got him off commercial food, and he's healthy as anything, but he's got to be nine pounds now! His diet consists of hard-cooked egg, extra lean ground chicken, freeze-dried chicken liver, lean ground beef, Alnutrin completer and a taruine supplement. He isn't eating anyone else's food; because of him, they're all meal-fed, too. I don't know how to stop him gaining more.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Unlikely Problem

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Jan 2023, 23:12

Do you make his food for one day at a time? I would just cut down a little on each ingredient.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 18 Jan 2023, 23:17

I batch cook his food and freeze it. I batch cook my food, too, or I'll starve. The only thing I do ad hoc is the egg. He's supposed to eat one of those every day. We don't usually get there as he isn't overly fond of egg. I seperate his proteins until mealtime, though, because I want to be able to knock it back to a very bland diet if he has an upset. 1/2 chicken, 1/4 beef, 1/4 egg. Topped with nutritonal yeast or he just turns up his nose. For a cat that doesn't particularly like to eat, its surprising to see him get heavier!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2023, 20:25

got to admit... it's kind of a nice problem to have!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with maybe reducing some of the portions by just a little bit and see if that helps.

Keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 21 Jan 2023, 20:40

Its a wierd problem to have. I just want him healthy. I'll try cutting him back but he really is unpredictable with the amount of food he eats, so it'll be a real experiment.
Do you know he has a thick coat now? And he's shedding a bit, like a normal cat?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2023, 12:03

what do you think contributed to the healthier fur.... the nutritional yeast or folate supplementation????

Also.... i just read in this article that nutritional yeast can trigger weight gain.....

https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-nutrition/nutritional-yeast-for-dogs-benefits-and-uses/

....not sure how factual this is, but it might be something to look into.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 22 Jan 2023, 12:57

My little nooch junkie might just have to cut down on his toppings. He's going to be very unimpressed.
His fur? I think its just that he's healthy. His body is able to use what he eats to do what its supposed to do. His half brother and half sister both have nice coats. His was always thin. Now his is the nicest!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2023, 13:37

Excellent!!!

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 23 Jan 2023, 01:51

That unlikely problem is a good problem to have! (Only an EPI parent can save that)!!

You started Montgomery on folate?? What kind do you use? I started giving "Real Folate" almost 3 weeks ago, after learning his folate was very low. I do think it's been making a difference. He's gained weight since starting (which is a good thing)!

I also started magnesium bisglyconate about a week ago. I started noticing a minor improvement by the 2nd day on that. His appetite and energy levels are improving daily since then!

Does Montgomery need 6 meals per day? If he's getting "tubbier", and changing meal sizes is difficult, perhaps trying 5 meals instead? I make Chance's meals in one big batch as well, so adjusting meal portions in between batches is more of a pain! But I also fear changing meal sizes because it might upset the enzyme vs meal ratio - which is a sensitive issue with Chance!

It's really good that he's gained weight and has such a good coat! EPI can really be a fickle mistress!

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 23 Jan 2023, 18:21

No, I haven't started him on folate.
He eats (cooked) extra lean ground chicken, lean ground beef, we're adding in lean ground pork this week to see how he does, hard-cooked egg, freeze-dried chicken liver, Alnutrin completer, and taruine. Nutritonal yeast on top, or else...Alnutrin makes completers for dogs, too. I was told to keep him on six meals a day, for the sake of his enzymes. I'm going to have to be firm about decreasing the amount of nooch, I think. He's an unpredictable eater. He will sometimes clean his plate, sometimes eat just enough that he knows I won't spoon-feed him.
He just said "WHOOP!" and rocketed past me and down the hallway. He's got a real Merlin engine, and now he flies like a Sptifire, too.