How do your dogs react when eating food with enzymes?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
dbartusi
State: Colorado

Re: How do your dogs react when eating food with enzymes?

Post by dbartusi » 05 Oct 2018, 17:22

My girl has no issues with the enzymes. Scarffs it all down as fast as I'll let her, have even been considering using a special bowl to slow her down. I do blend up my food so that it is much smaller and then as it softens with the water and enzymes not much chewing is needed, not sure if that helps. As for the recommendation by Jilbert57 if you go that route I would recommend getting a capsule filler machine off ebay if you plan on filling a bunch of capsules long term. Jasmine hated Tylan powder (super bitter) so I had to fill up two capsules a day and a capsule machine saved me so much time and effort. I personally purchased The Capsule Machine and couldn't be happier.
Jasmine, Rescue Mix, 3 Years Old, Dylan
Onset: 2016 Lowest: 15lbs Current: 40lbs
EPI and IBD diagnosed
PanaKare Plus Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein (1 cup with 1.5 tsp enzyme 2/day)
5mg Prednisone per day / Proviable-DC / Atopica 50mg / 5mg Famotidine per meal

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Oct 2018, 19:53

my gal also hated the taste of Tylan antibiotic powder.... i make a pouch out of cream cheese and pour the designated nasty tasting tylan in the pouch, seal, wash my hands with soap and water to get any tylan powder residue off my fingers and THEN i give my gal the cream cheese camouflaged tylan powder.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

ed33935

Post by ed33935 » 06 Oct 2018, 08:25

Thank you everyone. Rather than make a new thread I'll ask this here. Its been mentioned that people are giving their dogs/cats the enzyme powder in capsules ect rather than on food. I know that it is preferred to have it mixed with the food, but the question is, how do you find the effectiveness of giving the powder like this? If your doing this, could you tell me your process on how you do it and when you give it? When do you give the food, immediately? Thanks

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Oct 2018, 12:56

It all depends on what type of enzymes you are giving as to what technique you use to give it

1. there are powders (best absorbed) = mix in food with a little liquid, best to incubate for 20-34 minutes, then serve

2. there is raw (also best absorbed) = puree, mix in food with a little liquid, best to incubate for 20-34 minutes, then serve

3. enteric coated pellets (not always easily absorbed) to be a= sprinkle on top of food & serve immediately / give capsule whole few minutes prior to serving food

When there is difficulty giving powdered enzymes..... we try a bunch of techniques / some not always the best way to give the powdered enzymes but sometimes lesser appropriate techniques are the best we can do with some of these dogs..........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 29 Oct 2018, 20:19

Sorry it took so long to reply. My veterinarian is able to order capsules for Montgomery and I get his size 4 capsules through her (for his Tylosin). For his enzymes, I get the size 0 capsules through the pharmacy near where I work because the compounding pharmacy in Aurora is unreliable at best and he goes through twelve capsules each day. I get bags of 1,000 capsules for about twenty-seven dollars.
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.

Caroline831

Post by Caroline831 » 18 Nov 2018, 14:14

ed33935 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 08:25 Thank you everyone. Rather than make a new thread I'll ask this here. Its been mentioned that people are giving their dogs/cats the enzyme powder in capsules ect rather than on food. I know that it is preferred to have it mixed with the food, but the question is, how do you find the effectiveness of giving the powder like this? If your doing this, could you tell me your process on how you do it and when you give it? When do you give the food, immediately? Thanks
I'm going to second this question because I'm not sure if I saw the answer: It looks like some of you are suggesting putting the powdered enzymes into a capsule if the animal isn't wanting to eat food with intubated enzymes. This sounds different than purchasing the enteric coated pellets, opening up and putting on food and serving immediately as Olesia711 mentioned.
Does putting powdered enzymes in a capsule work as well as intubating powdered enzymes mixed in the food? What is the process for this? (aka- do you give the pill prior to food?)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Nov 2018, 19:48

i don't put the powder in capsules cause my Izzy doesn't have an aversion to the enzymes and just eats her food.... BUT... over the years, some people have put the powder in capsules and not in the food.... the results from this technique has been varied.

Some dogs seem to do fine with this technique, while others didn't do so good so the owner had to give more enzymes tucked in capsules.

It all depends on the pH in the tract how much and how quickly the now encapsulated powdered enzyme hit the gut with the food like it is supposed to.

If a dog really has a strong aversion to the enzymes powder..and consequently doesn't want to eat.. you've got nothing to lose by trying this technique. It might not be the best in all cases, but it is better than the dog not eating..........................

If this works ... then what you might want to do down the road is talk to your vet about trying CREON. CREON is pancreatic enzymes in enteric coated little spheres tucked in a capsule. go on the ENYZME PAGE scroll down until you hit "CREN" and read about the various ways of how to try giving it and why...... this is another option, the only problem is CREON is very expensive... but it is an option.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 19 Nov 2018, 01:01

For our Pinglu, she never create any problem of eating food mixed with enzyme. Rather she loves to chew the capsules , filled up with enzymes. :D :lol:
Also , sometimes in emergency , she ate raw Tylan powder :lol:
Good girl. ;)
Samir
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2018, 20:40

My goodenss.... Pinglu sure is hearty.... if my Izzy gets even a little scent of Tylan powder on her food, she won't eat for 2 days and acts as if i am trying to poison her.

I always have to camouflage the Tylan in capsules and then tuck the capsules in cream cheese so that she REALLY does not know she is getting Tylan. :lol:

ed33935

Post by ed33935 » 30 Nov 2018, 10:18

Hello all

An update, Lizzie is doing ok, she has been diagnosed with some heart issues and is on medication which seems to be helping. Other than that we are still working with her weight and feeding her as she will eat. Her appetite isnt great which is a struggle. Sometimes she still pulls back when eating food with her enzyme Diane, enzymes on it. Sometimes not. I also have been experimenting with giving her the enzymes in capsules, I'm using the #2 size now which she can take. (shes a very small dog and I dont want her to choke).