Our New EPI Journey

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Our New EPI Journey

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Apr 2023, 21:38

Can you order the Natural Balance Grain Free Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe on Amazon where you are or at a grange? Pet food stores would also carry it. This food takes out chicken and grain from your equation.. It is a good food.

There is a link to Wonderlabs B12 here
https://epi4dogs.com/b12-in-brief-2/ and yes the B12 needs to be up over 600.

Probiotics don't seem to be just any size fits . The 2 that work for my non EPI dogs are Proviable and Purina Fortiflora. You will have to work that out what works best for your pup.

I am sorry but your pup needs enzymes with all food and snacks. I am not one to not do what my vet says but with a score of 1.4 your pup is not making enzymes to digest food so must be given by you. 1 level teaspoon per 1 cup kibble incubated with room temp water.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

MamaOfGomo
State: Texas
Pet name: Kagome
My name: Cassidy

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 21:58

Hey S,

I'm still in the process of diagnosing my dog with EPI, but after reading your thread...

I'm so glad your vet listens to your opinion and research. Always go with your gut, even if it means looking a little looney to a vet. I've held my ground on a few things with my three fur babies and I never regret it, even if it didn't bring about a result. You pay and consult them to give advice and provide medical knowledge about your pets, but at the end of the day, YOU are the parent. I can tell you really care and are doing the work. The things you're asking for are not harmful to your baby, so why not try what you think is best for now.

I can vouch for Nature's Balance Limited Ingredient Foods. Through all of these previous tests I found out Kagome has food allergies and their Bison and Sweet Potato has slightly helped with the runny poops every now and again, but not with the weight. I also have used FortiFlora in the past and it did briefly help with runny poop back when the symptoms weren't so bad. I'll be putting my dog back on it with or without a positive test. As far as the WonderLabs B12, their reviews are WONDERFUL and I might put her on that as well with or without a positive test, since excess B12 isn't harmful and why not go the extra mile, lol.

Wishing you all of the luck and confidence!
Cassidy
I'm Cassidy and I live in Austin, TX.

My pup is Kagome, a 9-year-old Pittie Mix who I foster failed in 2015.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

slrocky
Pet name: Ryder
My name: Stacie

Post by slrocky » 18 Apr 2023, 00:34

Jill,

I can get the Natural Balance Grain Free Salmon & Sweet Potato at Petco here in Maui. Is dry or wet food better or is it just preference?

I ordered the B12 from Wonderlabs earlier today. I saw it here on the site. Thank goodness for you guys!!

I think I will start with the Proviable probiotics and see how he does with that.

I didn't listen to my vet and gave enzymes with his three meals today. I had to feed his old food of Hill's Science diet senior dry food because I wasn't sure what to try next, but he did okay with it with no retching or nausea. Also, his stool firmed up a bit and turned a little darker color.

Thank you so much for your response and for being such a wonderful advocate for us new EPI pet parents...
Stacie

slrocky

Post by slrocky » 18 Apr 2023, 01:14

Hi Cassidy,

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement!!!

I will definitely follow my gut and the advice from all of the awesome advocates here on epi4dogs. This site has been a much needed lifeline for us. My vet said she's only had one other EPI dog two years ago that did fine once it started enzymes so this is all new for her as well.

I do see online that my local Petco store does carry the Nature's Balance food. I was so worried that they wouldn't. I live in Maui and we don't always have what the other stores offer. I ordered the WonderLabs B12 today so I will be able to start him on that Thursday.

I wish you the best of luck with getting a correct diagnosis for your fur baby. The whole process is scary and mentally taxing.

Thanks again,
Stacie

MamaOfGomo
Pet name: Kagome
My name: Cassidy

Post by MamaOfGomo » 18 Apr 2023, 08:49

Hey Stacie,

Please let us know how the B12 and food works for you! I agree, this process (no matter the outcome) is like running a marathon where they keep changing the finish line. It'll all work out!

C.
I'm Cassidy and I live in Austin, TX.

My pup is Kagome, a 9-year-old Pittie Mix who I foster failed in 2015.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Apr 2023, 10:14

Stacie, I just looked at the canned version of the food and it looks good. It would be a matter of preference for you and your dog. If you use the canned food the enzyme amount goes down to 3/4 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup canned food. No need to add water just mix it together real well and incubate. You can also use a little canned with enzyme on top of the kibble if you ever have a problem getting your pup to eat. I see they also make a shredded wet grain free that looks good. I might add if you use kibble with canned please use the appropriate enzyme for each, stir kibble before serving and add enzymed wet food on top.

When you get the B12 I would use 1 in morning and 1 in evening either open on food(does not need to be incubated with the food) or just pitch the capsule on top. Any excess B12 will be expelled in the urine.

The Bison and Venison are appropriate(thanks Cassidy) also just make sure on any of the grain free kibble that pea protein. Pea fiber, legumes and lentils do not sit too high on the ingredient label. We want protein from meats .

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

slrocky

Post by slrocky » 23 Apr 2023, 03:25

Thank you Cassidy and Jill. All the suggestions are awesome. I will update with his progress.

With much appreciation!!
Stacie

slrocky

Post by slrocky » 23 Apr 2023, 03:46

Hey everyone,

So, I started Ryder on oral B12 and Proviable probiotics on 04/11. His stool has really started smelling bad since starting these. He weighs 13.8 lbs and I'm giving one B12 by pouring the powder onto his incubated meal in the morning and one on his incubated meal in the evening. I'm giving one probiotic daily the same way. Could one of these be the cause of the bad smell?

Also, today I gave him his monthly chewable Heartgard pill and Nexgard pill crushed and sprinkled over one of his other incubated meals as well. Before EPI these medications never gave him diarrhea or anything. This evening his stool was voluminous, yellow, runny and mushy like before being diagnosed with EPI. I know these were a lot of new things to start within a few days apart but I was unsure of what to do. Could the heart and flea pill have caused this?

Thank you guys!!
Stacie

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Apr 2023, 09:48

With one of my dogs, non EPI, I have to start anything new at half dose, including proviable. After a few days I use the full dose. If not he gets gas.
When I used to use monthly flea/tick meds I would give heart worm then 2 weeks later flea spot on.

Did you start the new food yet and if so was the poop good on it?

I am not aware of B12 causing bad smell. I do know the monthly meds can cause problems, even if you have been using monthly.

Jill

slrocky

Post by slrocky » 24 Apr 2023, 19:43

Hi Jill,

Thank you for the suggestions on the probiotics and monthly meds dosing. I will try that.

We are transitioning from Hill's Science Diet to the Natural Balance grain free Salmon & Sweet Potato dry food. I will update after he's only on the new food for a few days.

I really appreciate the quick responses to my inquiries. You guys are the BEST!!!

Thank you,
Stacie