Possible EPI, Vet Waiting to Test due to Steroids?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MamaOfGomo
State: Texas
Pet name: Kagome
My name: Cassidy

Possible EPI, Vet Waiting to Test due to Steroids?

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 13:03

Hey all,

Skip to the underlined part if you just want to hear the question. I just thought I'd give background.

I have a 9 year old Pittie Mix named Kagome who has been losing weight, breaking potty training, having hummus poops, etc. She used to weigh almost 40lbs and is now 26lbs... three weeks ago she was 28lbs... a few weeks before she was 30lbs... you get where I'm going here. It's rapid weight loss. We've done ultrasounds, fecals, etc. Changed her food to grain free, soy free, EVERYTHING FREE... which has helped some. But not the weight. I talked to a new vet who suggested we test for EPI, which I had never heard of before. He did say we needed to wait to test since she's on Prednisone and it could skew the results. Does anyone have advice on this? She's currently at the weaning phase, so one pill every 48 hrs and only has 2 doses left. We scheduled an appt for May 3rd, but I'm getting very anxious about her weight. She can barely get up on the bed or couch now and is always very tired. I want to get her tested NOW but don't want a skewed test.
I'm Cassidy and I live in Austin, TX.

My pup is Kagome, a 9-year-old Pittie Mix who I foster failed in 2015.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

MamaOfGomo

Re: Possible EPI, Vet Waiting to Test due to Steroids?

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 13:05

Side note... thank you EPI4Dogs for providing so much information about this. I'm on a crash course right now thinking EPI has to be what's going on with my girl. I saw the video on the home page and it made me cry a LOT. It really seems like this is the answer I've been waiting so long for.

She was tested for EPI on April 19th, 2023 and it came back negative for the usual markers.

She did however have low B12 and high Folate... so now we are chasing this trail... or tail?

More journey to come.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2023, 13:48

Hi Cassidy,

I don't think so ... that Prednisone can skew the TLI test results.... however, i am waiting to hear back from the TLI research developer to find out if this can be an issue.

In 15 years of dealing with EPI, I personally have never heard of prednisone interfering with the TLI test results..... HOWEVER.... that being said, i am wondering if your vet meant that prednisone may interfere with cortisol testing.... which it can indeed skew cortisol test results... and when trying to determine what is triggering chronic loose stools, in addition to testing for EPI, they often run cortisol tests too, as they should if the TLI test is negative ...... so maybe this is the reasoning
As soon as i have a valid answer for you, i will post here..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

MamaOfGomo

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 14:14

Hi Olesia!

Many thanks for all of your advice, knowledge, and support I've seen on this page.

It could have been about the cortisol because they suspect it may be cushings OR EPI. I could have misinterpreted what they were telling me. Lots of information at once. If it doesn't skew the EPI test, I'll be moving her appointment up ASAP. Seeing her lose so much weight and not being her happy pig self is miserable. I appreciate your effort to find out!

More journey to come.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2023, 15:04

ahhhh... if they are considering possible Cushings,, it could very well be that the vet meant that the prednisone can skew the ACTH (Cushings) test results.

Must say, kudo's to your vet for looking at both EPI and if not, then possibly CUshings..... as sometimes it is not EPI but rather Cushings or even Addisons that is the culprit....

Personal story, my sweetie Izzy was the one diagnosed with EPI.... a couple of years later, my other dog, Rico started having the yellow pudding like stools, losing weight etc. My vet was convinced it was EPI, but still (thankfullly) ran the TLI test... it was not EPI!!!... finally he ran the ACTH test even tough Rico did not have any of the typical Cushings signs... and sure enough, he had A-Typical Cushings. Once they ascertained the right dose of Lysodren... within 1 week i saw improvement and it just got better and better from that point on.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2023, 16:18

Hi Cassidy,
I got an answer for you! Talked to the researcher and he said that Prednisone will NOT skew any TLI test results.

SOOOOOOOOoooooo based on this, might be best to go ahead and schedule the TLI test ASAP.....and do it separately from the ACTH test for Cushings, because if this IS EPI..... then you might not even have to have the Cushings test done..... unless there are more Cushing signs and your vet feels that they still need to test for Cushings too.

Hope this helps!

MamaOfGomo

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 18:41

That's crazy to hear about your pup with A-Typical Cushings! It's one of the harder things to diagnose, so I'm glad you were able to get it figured out. If only our animals could talk and tell us all of the details! Thank you SO much for looking into this. I'm going to call our vet right now and get an appointment set up for the EPI test.

Wish me luck!

More journey to come.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2023, 20:27

Cassidy,

Just make sure that you "food" fast your pup at least 12 prior to the blood being drawn for the TLI test.... this is why they usually schedule the TLI blood test in the mornings.

Keep us posted!

MamaOfGomo

Post by MamaOfGomo » 17 Apr 2023, 21:05

Will do! We are very used to the fasting before appointments lately :P She has her appointment scheduled for Wednesday morning. I'll post the details once we get the results back!

Thanks again for your advice <3

More journey to come.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2023, 23:23

good luck!

Keep us posted!