Pantenex suspends shipping to Canada

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Pantenex suspends shipping to Canada

Post by Chance » 01 Jun 2023, 14:42

Effective today, Pantenex has stopped all Canadian orders. I wouldn't be surprised if the others soon follow. It's the Canadian government who believes anything enzymes should be prescription only.

Thankfully I am not affected by this; but many fellow Canadians are. EPI has always been much more expensive here; but now it's getting more difficult!

Thankfully I made the switch to Creon a while ago! It too is expensive, for a big dog. But at least it's readily available!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Pantenex suspends shipping to Canada

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Jun 2023, 15:15

Yes I see it says temporarily suspended!

Thanks Andrea.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Jun 2023, 15:59

it's so hard for the Canadians to get what they need to manage EPI....i feel so bad for them!!!!!

Thankfully EnzymeDiane has not suspended shipping to Canada, although she too has run into the exact same problem....... however she tries to work around it as best she can to still service EPI patients........ it's a mess!

But yes, at least there is still CREON.... thankgoodness.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Stevandzena
Pet name: Zena
My name: Steven

Post by Stevandzena » 04 Jun 2023, 09:55

Just diagnosed my dog here in Canada 2 months ago and I’ve been working to stabilize her. She is doing well, and slowly recovering.

I just started with Pantenex, after scrambling to find other products (Viokace went on back order).

This news is not good. I truly can’t afford other supplements as they are priced here in Ontario. Viokace was running me 160$ a month. I have not tried other perscription meds, I was really banking on Pantenex.

Hoping enzyme Diane keeps things going, or Pantenex figures something out. Let’s cross our fingers.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Jun 2023, 11:18

hi Steven,

i hear your frustration... it really is a mess and puts our EPI dogs at great risk.

I am sure Pantenex is really trying to find a solution to this and hopefully they will come up with a workable solution...

But if you ever do get stuck, with no enzymes.... tell your vet you want a script for CREON 10,000 (or CREON 12,000) and we will walk you thru how to use it. or... you might be able to get CREON in Canada without a script.... not sure. i know we can order it from Canadian pharmacies without a script.... in any case, just let us know if we ever have to help you with this.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 04 Jun 2023, 13:46

Creon is prescription only.. that is the problem with ordering from the US. Here, enzymes considered prescription only, and controlled. So basically they are reasoning that Pantenex is a controlled substance. They frown on ordering prescription items from outside Canada.

Now, if you want to get high, no problem at all. Walk into any of hundreds of government controlled Marijuana providers, and get whatever you want!

You want to save your EPI dogs life... now that's asking too much!

I do strongly recommend Creon however. Get a prescription from your vet and pop into your local pharmacy. In Canada, there is only 2 strength available... Creon 10,000 units and 25,000 units. (12,000 is not available within Canada).

I don't recommend looking at Canada online pharmacies. Most are based in the US. As such most are not allowed to here. A couple have gotten a warehouse here, and are now licensed in Canada. But their prices are roughly double what you would pay at your own pharmacy. I guess it could be handy for convenience, but to me I simply can't afford to pay hundreds, just to save me a 10 minute trip to the pharmacy!

Ok. I mentioned 2 strengths. Creon 10,000 units is cheaper than the Creon 25,000; even though you use more pills. For a while, I was buying both strengths. I liked it, because it was nice giving fewer pills. But it averaged at least $40 more per month. So with my last prescription, I asked the vet to change the prescription, giving Creon 10,000 only. Now I have to give more pills, but, but it's a little easier on the pocketbook!

I give the pills whole, 5 minutes before a meal. This is intended to minimize risk of mouth sores, and also apparently reduces risk of acid reflux. (Mouth sores are far less likely with Creon than with powdered enzymes. But it can happen. It happened to my dog once - when I was opening capsules and sprinkling on food).

Obie426
Pet name: Chase
My name: Diana

Post by Obie426 » 08 Jun 2023, 15:43

Hi all Canadians. After reading the previous posts about Pantenex shipping issues I became worried about what might happen with Enzyme Diane (I am a regular customer)so I immediately ordered a kilo from them. I received the enzymes in 4 business days with no issues. Phew. Now I have some breathing room. Hopefully any issues suppliers have will get ironed out in the next few months.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2023, 11:20

THanks for sharing... it is EXTREMELY important to stress, especially to Canadians with all the postal issue... order your enzymes way ahead of time!!!!

And yes, thankfully EnzymeDiane's enzymes do get thru... not always, but most of the time... but it is imperative to order way ahead of time as a pre-caution.

GOod news today too.... Enzyme Diane was able to reduce the enzyme price as of today :)

Beatrice
Pet name: Sushi
My name: Beatrice

Post by Beatrice » 10 Jun 2023, 14:31

Obie426 wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 15:43 Hi all Canadians. After reading the previous posts about Pantenex shipping issues I became worried about what might happen with Enzyme Diane (I am a regular customer)so I immediately ordered a kilo from them. I received the enzymes in 4 business days with no issues. Phew. Now I have some breathing room. Hopefully any issues suppliers have will get ironed out in the next few months.
Thanks for the info. I was planning to stock up too. And now, more reasons with the price cut.
TLI 3.1
1 Pet Factor B12, 1 small scoop of aventi GI complete pre/probiotic
Enzyme Diane in EC HPMC delayed release capsule (1 full capsule + 1/2 capsule for each meal)
Nutrience Grain-Free Subzero Prairie Red (up to 2 cups if no other meat given)
AM 1/2 cup of kibble, plain yogourt with 1/2 banana
Noon 1/2 cup of cooked meat + boiled egg
3:30pm 1/2 cooked meat + boiled egg
6pm 3/4 cup of cooked meat
9pm 1/2 of kibble
apple, peanut butter snacks with enzyme capsule

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Jun 2023, 14:46

it is wise to stock up on enzymes even if you live outside of Canada..... ;)

And yes with the recent price cut, it is now a great time to stock up!!!!!