Scooby my Foster with EPI & Lymphangiectasia

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
chattykathy31
State: West Virginia
Pet name: Scooby
My name: Kathy

Scooby my Foster with EPI & Lymphangiectasia

Post by chattykathy31 » 29 Aug 2023, 12:11

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and here for any advice that will help my foster Scooby. Scooby has been recently diagnosed with EPI, Lymphangiectasia and possibly atypical Addison's disease. I pulled Scooby from our kill shelter and he was Lymes +. He's been treated for lymes and has been started on PancrePlus tablets from chewy. He is eating 4 cups 3 x daily and still acting starved. I just recently found out about the incubation of the enzymes so i started doing that yesterday. Unfortunately he's been on the enzymes for 10 days and had another lb weight loss. On intake he was 101 lbs. When i picked him up from animal control he was 92. He is now 85. I'm very worried we time is not on our side. He is a Dane or Mastiff?? We don't really know but he should be Giant and he's a rack of bones. His poops are large and loose. He has NEVER had a formed poop since I've had him. He's now having accidents in the house at night, it just seems to be getting worse. He drinks a TON of water. His kidneys are good. He is on Purina pro plan EN low fat because of the lymphangiectasia. He's also on oral steroids 20 daily and 40mg of Pepcid daily. He's been getting 3 tablets of the enzymes 3 times daily with meals, which I'm finding out with that amount of food isn't enough. He was also placed on Tylin for the diarrhea. I have been giving him 1/4 tsp daily but its doing nothing. I've also been hearing he needs treated for 30 days with the Tylan. I am at a loss with so many issues going on and I feel like I'm watching him slowly die and its killing me. Any help, advise, prayers etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
scooby.jpg
scooby.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Scooby my Foster with EPI & Lymphangiectasia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Aug 2023, 12:50

Oh My Goodness.... thank you SOOOOOOoooo much for adopting him and especially from a kill shelter.
Okay.... the first thing is that the pancreatin that they gave you are pills and pills don't usually work well, especially not when given whole as a pill. WHat you need to do is give more pills (if you are giving 4 cups per meal- -then technically this would most likely require 12 pills er meal... CRAZY, eh?!, so....crush them into a powder, mix in food with some moisture (if giving kibble, add a little room temp water, just enough to moisten the food).

In the meantime.... cause this is ridiculous, i will contact you privately for your home address and get you some donated PancreVet enzyme powder.... to start with.....
What you need to do with the powder is start with 1 level tsp of powder per 1 cup of food (if kibble) moistened, mixed the enzymes in and let sit for 20 minutes, then serve.

Next... considering the condition your pup is in... with EPI, over 80% of these dogs have low B12, and no matter how well your treat the EPI condition, without upper mid level of B12, they can't improve.
Order Pet Factor B12 from WOnderlabs (cut and paste the link in your browser)
https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

I understand the water drinking, it could be from the enzymes, or the prednisone. BUt make sure he doesn't have Diabetes or a UTI going on... if not, then this should pass.

Regarding the food "He is on Purina pro plan EN low fat because of the lymphangiectasia" this "might" be contributing to the loose stools.
With EPI, once on enzymes, many of these dogs cannot handle dog food with grain or too much fiber content in them because the fiber can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes from anywhere between 0% to 50%.... so this is why we strongly recommend starting with a no grain-low fiber content food.... in the beginning. ONce dog is stable THEN try foods with grains in them. This food has low fiber content BUT is loaded with grains. HOWEVER....... because of Lymphangiectasia... stay on this food for now, but see if things improve once you start using the right amount of powdered enzymes ..... sometimes when you have to use a food that is not optimal for EPI... then the way to handle this is to give a pinch more enzymes to compensate for the non-optimal diet for the EPI condition.

However, If you need to give a low fat food, that is do-able and with a low fiber food.
look at Annamaet low fat food: (again, cut and paste the link below in your browser)
https://www.chewy.com/annamaet-grain-free-lean-low-fat/dp/178453

i hope this helps a little... to get you started and PLEASE do keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Aug 2023, 12:59

OH.... and i forgot to mention, the Tylan should be taken for 45 days, twice a day, morning and night around a meal... but make sure the dose is correct... it is given according to weight.

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

because of his dire condition, he is right on the edge of dose parameter... so i would give him 3/8 of tsp of Tylan twice a day for 45 days..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 29 Aug 2023, 13:04

Olesia covered the enzymes.

Tylan powder should be given twice a day for 45 days. 45 days is the current recommended regimen. 1/4th teaspoon twice a day. When Scooby gets back up to 100 pounds it should be 3/8th teaspoon twice a day

The steroids are the bane of EPI. They dilute urine, so there is more of it, while increasing thirst. This is causing the accidents. They also make dogs super hungry, but we can't just give them food. Steroids can also rob nutrients from muscles causing atrophy. Which EPI dogs have a hard enough time getting the nutrients. Once you get the enzymes figured out, try to feed more or more times a day. Oh steroids can also cause diarrhea, because why not.
Last edited by Eddiespaghetti on 29 Aug 2023, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Aug 2023, 13:10

Hi Kathy,
Thank you for rescuing Scooby! He looks like a love.
Only thing I have to add to Olesia's great advice is that sometimes with a lot going on it helps to keep a diary. Here is a link:

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 29 Aug 2023, 13:38

Hi Kathy,

I'm so glad you decided to post about Scooby here, you're in good hands!

Michaela

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 29 Aug 2023, 15:21

Hi Kathy,

I was in tears reading of Scooby's situation and seeing his picture. You are an angel for taking care of him. Olesia has you on the right path. And I heartily endorse the log/journal that Jill suggested. It will help you keep your sanity.

Hugs,

Barb