brown vomit

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Trish
State: Massachusetts
Pet name: Flurry
My name: Snapperblue

brown vomit

Post by Trish » 30 Aug 2023, 10:49

I joined this forum in February shortly after adopting an EPI dog.

I can't thank you all enough for the information you provided- my vet is behind the times and not willing to update. Thanks to you, Flurry is stabilized on Enzyme Diane, with B12 and probiotics. Happily, she does not have the scary other problems that many of the dogs here have.

However, every 3 or 4 weeks, she urgently has to go out, usually at 3 AM. Once in the yard she frantically eats grass. She does NOT then throw up the grass, as my other dogs would have after this behavior. She will often drink a lot when she's back in the house.

She may throw up an hour to a couple of hours later. The vomit is brown and somewhat thick like thin chocolate milkshake, but smells like vomit. I can't see any grass or other particles, nor any mucus.

The following day, she will be quiet and will not eat until mid to late afternoon.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it related to EPI? Thanks very much for any suggestions!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: brown vomit

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Aug 2023, 11:22

Sounds like possible acid reflux. Have you tried giving Slippery elm? I might try SE for a couple weeks and see if it helps at all. No burps or excess gas in between times?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 30 Aug 2023, 15:11

My Eddie boi started doing something like this. We started giving slippery elm, or famotidine if if gets bad. I am not sure exactly what it is, but the slippery elm and famotidine help

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 31 Aug 2023, 17:48

Nikki had similar issues for years. I wrote about it here: https://www.epi4dogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7808#p7808

We made several visits to Texas A&M and they never really could find out what was wrong. When it was really bad, she wouldn't eat or drink. I would take her for some SubQ fluids and she would be better within an hour, so weird.

I ended up giving her 1-2 tablespoons of Slippery Elm syrup and within two weeks she was much better. Giving the SE in any other form didn't really make a difference.

https://oregonswildharvest.com/products/slippery-elm-bark-organic-powder

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Sep 2023, 15:03

ahhh... what you described happened to my Izzy.. and freaked me out..... i was used to SID/SIBO flare-ups... but this one time Izzy vomited brown stuff that looked like diarrhea and stunk really, really bad.... and she got very quiet for a time (i don't remember if it was for a day or more)..............

I took her to the vet and it turned out to be nothing more than SID... just different than what i normally saw as a SID flare up...the vet said probably a different strain of bad bacteria then what typically happens. .... i gave a short course of Tylan (if i remember correctly it was for something like 3 or 5 days only) and Slippery Elm and that took care of it. Never happened again.... but it did freak me out............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 03 Sep 2023, 09:54

My Mary used to do this. Not the eating grass bit, because she's a house cat, but the brown vomit. Usually in the wee hours of the morning, right in front of the litter box. 1/4 Pepcid tablet sorted it out. Stomach acid.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

TonyAU
Pet name: BB
My name: Tony

Post by TonyAU » 08 Sep 2023, 08:40

My dog Bailey had acid reflux for years and could not get to the bottom of it no matter what we tried. He'd run out morning or midnight and vomit up white bile. He'd be licking and gulping air and burping. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and IBD.

We were giving slippery elm, glutamine, marshmallow, licorice powders although these helped suppress the reflux but not cure the cause.

It wasn't until this forum that Eddie/Jeremy suggested Amoxycillin which we reluctantly did a 21 day course and i believe this is what fixed the acid reflux.

If that was the cause then Bailey may have some serious bad bacteria causing his gut issues. We did note from one biopsy that he helicobactor pyroli.
6yo Cavoodle with pancreatitis, IBD, SIBO, SID and allergic to most meat. Transitioning to Royal Canin Gastrointestinal wet canned food. Working heavilyto repair his microbiome in the hope it will fix his sensitivity to most meat.