Enzyme Product question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Enzyme Product question

Post by PipersMom » 16 Sep 2023, 05:45

Jody our Nutritionist wanted me to ask the following:
Hi Shawn, I was curious if anyone in your EPI group has tried this product? Raw pancreas isn't always easy to find so this seems a lot easier for people. I wondered if anyone tried it before using vet prescribed enzymes as I have some clients whose dogs aren't diagnosed with EPI, but I think could benefit from enzymes and since most are pork based, these are beef.
https://bigcountryraw.ca/product/thrive-beef-pancreas/

Any input I can forward?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Enzyme Product question

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Sep 2023, 08:45

Hi Shawn, you might call enzymediane and ask her if she has bovine enzymes in stock. She usually carries them as an option to porcine.

Put Big Country Thrive in the search glass and 1 post came up mentioning it.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 16 Sep 2023, 15:06

The first thing that jumps out to me is the strength;
Lipase 700 USP/g
Protease 250,000 USP/g
Amylase 250,000 USP/g

This is low compared to Enzyme Diane.

Protease: 630,000 USP/2.8 grams,
Amylase: 670,400 USP/2.8 grams,
Lipase: 104,120 USP/2.8 grams

That is not to say it won't work for EPI, I just feel like it might be a whole lot more expensive, if you are having to get a couple teaspoons per meal. Every dog is different though.
Opinion time, EPI dogs- no. Non EPI Dogs who struggle with certain diseases - yee
Last edited by Eddiespaghetti on 16 Sep 2023, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 19 Sep 2023, 05:01

Thank you all.

I use PancreVed Powder and plan to stick with that. Our Nutritionist wanted me to see what others here thought.

😊
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.