Increased allergies after EPI?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cjjames
State: Florida
Pet name: Jade
My name: Christin

Increased allergies after EPI?

Post by cjjames » 05 Nov 2023, 14:29

My girl has had EPI for past four years almost and she's been having increased allergies, lip pyoderma, and other problems since. I'm assuming this is all because of the issues of the stomach but could someone verify this?
I'm wondering if there's anything else I could add into her food that would decrease all these problems for her. Her allergies have gone up tremendously and she chews her legs almost raw sometimes. I put her on cytopoint which is insanely pricey (150$+ per shot) and it only lasts 4-6 weeks which I can't really afford. I also give her the Aller-Immune bites which has probiotic in it, and it has helped in the past but I'm not sure that's helping her anymore with her continued allergic reactions.
Does anyone have any supplement suggestions for such cases?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Increased allergies after EPI?

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Nov 2023, 15:33

I am so sorry you are dealing with this... i had one dog that had allergies (not my EPI dog).... and IMHO.... it was the most challenging thing to deal with.

SO.... in dealing with it for 14 years.... what i learned about allergies is they often get worse over time AND sometimes more allergies develop.

If it helps any... i signed up for 2 vet seminars on Allergies one on NOv 13 and one on Nov 17..... so hopefully i will learn something new and maybe effective .... if so i will post here.

IIn the meantime, what you can try is buy some BOVINE Colostrum. Follow directions, mix in a tsp of water... let dog lap it up about 20 minutes prior to a meal.... i am trying this now with my dog who does not have severe allergies but does chew/bite feet and then developed an ear infection. it has taken 5 days... but he finally stopped chewing. WAHOO!!!!!!!

If you want to try BOVINE COLOSTRUM.... this is a very good product... it has actually helped a handful of other people's dogs dealing with allergies:
https://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter ... 9094648982

However....In the past i tried it with my dog with severe storage mite allergies and it did not work, but with current dog it IS working. So well worth trying.

The other thing i was recently told that helps with allergies is PURINA CALMING CARE:
https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Plan-Vete ... 2618&psc=1
I personally do not have experience with this product, but am passing on what i have been told.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

chaddavidson
Pet name: Moon
My name: Chad Davidson

Post by chaddavidson » 10 Dec 2023, 13:00

My puppy also had allergies a year ago. And yes, I really recommend BOVINE COLORSTRUM because it is truly good. All allergy symptoms decreased after my puppy ate it.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Dec 2023, 14:26

Hi again, just chiming in. i half listened to the 2 allergy seminars.... and they were nothing more than a plug for an allergy product :( ... so disappointing! FYI... they were pushing chlorehexidine products.... you can buy a gallon of this yourself or your vet can sell you the products... this is a little summary on it:
https://www.goodrx.com/pet-health/dog/c ... e-for-dogs
they make wipies, shampoos, etc. with this stuff....the only issue that i found with it is that although it does kill bacteria (from the allergies) it tends to dry the skin out too...

I do hope the bovine colostrum helps if you do try it....

Another tidbit... is to use "PhytoVet PSS Antiseborrheic Shampoo" (by Henry Schein).. and Animal Health product.... it really does work... but the problem is it only calms the skin for so many days and the reality is how many times can you give your dog a bath (.

The other topical trick i learn was when you do give your dog a bath, give them a warm water rinse with baking soda mixed in. The baking soda actually kills some bacteria AND the extra benefit is that it softens and soothes the skin, so the dog doesn't feel so compelled to chew themselves raw. But again.... this only lasts so many days too.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

chaddavidson
Pet name: Moon
My name: Chad Davidson

Post by chaddavidson » 10 Dec 2023, 15:41

Olesia711 wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 14:26 Hi again, just chiming in. i half listened to the 2 allergy seminars.... and they were nothing more than a plug for an allergy product :( ... so disappointing! FYI... they were pushing chlorehexidine products.... you can buy a gallon of this yourself or your vet can sell you the products... this is a little summary on it:
https://www.goodrx.com/pet-health/dog/c ... e-for-dogs gorilla tag
they make wipies, shampoos, etc. with this stuff....the only issue that i found with it is that although it does kill bacteria (from the allergies) it tends to dry the skin out too...

I do hope the bovine colostrum helps if you do try it....

Another tidbit... is to use "PhytoVet PSS Antiseborrheic Shampoo" (by Henry Schein).. and Animal Health product.... it really does work... but the problem is it only calms the skin for so many days and the reality is how many times can you give your dog a bath (.

The other topical trick i learn was when you do give your dog a bath, give them a warm water rinse with baking soda mixed in. The baking soda actually kills some bacteria AND the extra benefit is that it softens and soothes the skin, so the dog doesn't feel so compelled to chew themselves raw. But again.... this only lasts so many days too.
Wow! Great solution! I wish I could know it sooner.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Dec 2023, 16:47

there are lots of little tidbits and tricks to help manage allergies to sme degree... BUT..... sadly nothing really to truly get rid of the allergies.......... maybe someday they will figure it out.