Poop soft again after being normal for a few years

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Poop soft again after being normal for a few years

Post by mkazin » 13 Nov 2023, 14:25

My 4 year old EPI girl Scottie (GSD Mix) has had almost completely normal poos for a few years now. Over the past few days, it's been quite soft again. Not quite diarrhea but the next closest thing. Orange and very soft.

All food has been kept the exact same (Hillz ZD wet food and treats, and Ultamino dry food).

She recently had an intense ear infection and we had to give her antibiotics. Those ended about 5 days ago. Is it possible she's still feeling the stomach effects of those?

The only other thing I can think of is that we started a new bag of Enzyme Diane recently. Is it possible some batches are just much weaker/don't work as well?

Thank you!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Poop soft again after being normal for a few years

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Nov 2023, 14:52

hmmm..... although this may not be it... the first thing that jumps to my mind is the 4 year mark.... with a lot of these dogs, all goes well, and then for no reason (that we can see)since everything is the same.... all of a sudden the poos go south! What we have observed is that around the 4th or 5th year mark... some of these EPI dogs cross a threshold to where they simply need a pinch more enzymes.... it is almost like their body is not as "efficient" as it used to be. so this is possibility 1. Solution = slightly increase the enzymes by maybe 20-25% per meal... see if this improves things.

Another possibility is that after the antibiotics.... the gut flora has been altered and maybe some pre+probiotics are needed to replenish some bacteria that may have been wiped out. so this is possibility 2. Solution = try a little slippery elm powder
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
... if this improves the poo, then the gut flora got a little out of whack and see if the slippery elm is enough or you need more pre+probiotics

Another possibility is that the formula has been changed in the dog food you are using.... and this might require more enzymes if no longer optimal for your dog's digestive system. so this is possibility3. Solution = call the dog food companies and see if the formula has changed.

Another possibility is that for whatever reason... (and sometimes we just don't know what the trigger is) your dog's gut flora got out of whack... a lot! and might be beyond being fixed with pre+probiotics and you might need a course of Tylan.
so this is possibility 4. Solution = try Tylan if above solutions fail.

Another possibility is, with the orange poo, she may have developed another sensitivity (maybe to the treat??)
possibility 5. Solution = treat the loose stools with Tylan, and then stop the treats and see if this resolves things

Another possibility is something going on with the liver.... (if the orange poo continues for more thana a few days.... this is the first thing i would do, have the vet check her out)
possibility 6. Solution = call the vet and have them check her out

ANother possibility, but highly unlikely.... is that the new batch of enzymes might be dramatically lower in lipase USP units - - but this would not explain the orange poos.
possibility 7 . SOlution... increase the amount of enzymes (check the previous LIpase potency again the current potency and adjust -increase- accordingly... although, as mentioned above, this woul not explain the orange poo..................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 13 Nov 2023, 15:15

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! This is incredibly helpful, I'm so relieved. Her poos have always seemed a bit orange to me whenever they're anything but perfectly normal/hard. So the color isn't quite as alarming to me as the consistency.

We already have her on slippery elm and probiotics daily. We're going to up the dose of powder and see how that goes. If that doesn't help, we'll visit the vet and try some Tylan. Thanks again!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Nov 2023, 15:19

you are very welcome...

ALso... silly me... i just thought of another possibility.... if her poos have always been "slightly" orange or with a little orange tinge..... that could be nothing more than from the food ingredients..... so it is possible that she got into something that made the color much more orange.... and triggered loose stools....... but if so.... i would still go thru the step by step process of trying what you are doing and if that doesn't fix it, try increasing the enzymes and/or then try Tylan.........

PLEASE keep us posted..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Nov 2023, 16:41

interesting.... i just read a blog post put out this afternoon by Dr. Jean Dodds.... regarding antibiotic use in our companion animals.... and with regards to your comment "She recently had an intense ear infection and we had to give her antibiotics. Those ended about 5 days ago. Is it possible she's still feeling the stomach effects of those?"

i know it can, but here is a much better answer then what i gave you regarding your question about this (from Dr. Dodd's post today)...............

"Further, antibiotics enable gastrointestinal dysbiosis due to their so-called “scorched earth” effect on the gut. Study after study from the renowned Texas A&M University’s Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences Gastrointestinal Laboratory have indicated that dysbiosis can continue for a minimum of four weeks after antibiotic administration has been stopped."

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 13 Nov 2023, 18:18

Thank you for sending this!!! That makes sense. I know that can happen in humans too (the scorched earth effect on the stomach) so not surprised that might be whats' going on with Scottie. Will definitely keep you updated :) you're the best!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Nov 2023, 18:24

you are very welcome.

Please do keep us posted!

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 19 Nov 2023, 19:41

Scottie had a recheck with the vet for her ear infection and I asked the vet about her soft stools. He recommended benefiber... I know fiber for the opposite effect, i.e. to fix constipation. Has anyone used benefiber for runny stools for your dogs? Thanks!!

Eddiespaghetti
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 19 Nov 2023, 20:11

I have not used it for diarrhea, but it can be used for that. You just want to give it in a low amount otherwise it will have the opposite effect you mentioned. I would start at roughly 1/2 teaspoon per 20 pounds, or faction thereof, and slowly work up from there. Slippery Elm is also a type of fiber. Since you are already giving SE, maybe try cutting it back a little. You might be crossing the threshold. In a pinch or if its easier, Imodium AD can also be given. It's typically, 1MG per 25 pounds of dog. Imodium should not be given more than 5 days in a row and isn't a long term solution, but it might help get the gut back in order. The choice on what to use is up to you, but one of these three will hopefully work.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2024, 11:45

Slippery Elm does the same as Benefiber... HOWEVER Slippery Elm is not as harsh.

Either do what Jeremy recommended... if giving the Benefiber, either reduce the Slippery Elm or stop the slippery elm all together and then if you want.. try adding back the slippery elm a little at a time. Just give yourself the opportunity to assess if the Benefiber is helping or if it is too much.

And start with the lesser amount of Benefiber too.