Upper respiratory infection

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Emma
State: Minnesota
Pet name: Emma
My name: Beth

Upper respiratory infection

Post by Emma » 11 Dec 2023, 18:25

It has probably been at least a year since I have logged in with a question which means this forum is most definitely a life savior for those who have pets with EPI. Now to my question. Emma came down with a cough this weekend. I know about the mysterious virus making the rounds in a lot of states but as far as I know it’s not in MN (yet)and she is not been around other dogs. But Emma came down with something and has a cough and runny nose. The vet put her on Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 7 days. Emma has been so stable for so long that this really kind of scares the heck out of me. A side effect is diarrhea and want to know is there or are there any precautions I need to take to maybe prevent any side effects she might get. Or am I just living on a prayer and hope for the best?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Upper respiratory infection

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Dec 2023, 11:27

sounds like your vet did the right thing. Doxy is the go-to drug now being touted just in case it is that respiratory condition that is going around. And even though it supposedly hasn't hit your area yet.... it's nice to know that your vet is being proactive :)

Regarding what to do if the doxy triggers loose stools.... i wouldn't worry too much about it if it is just caused from the doxy... or... if you want... try giving your dog some slippery elm while on the doxy.... but in this case, i would give the slippery elm in something about 2 hours away from when you give the doxy.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Emma
State: Minnesota
Pet name: Emma
My name: Beth

Post by Emma » 12 Dec 2023, 11:49

Thank you. She is already on Slippery Elm so we are covered!!!!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 12 Dec 2023, 14:30

That virus is spreading quickly. The first chart I read, showed it in only a few states up north, and within a few days it was here in FL. Lots of travel.

Good to know there is a treatment. My dogs only see each other, and our vet comes to the house, so I think we're good. I hope everyone on the forum is able to avoid this illness, too. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.