EPI & Diabetes?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bowers
State: Ohio
Pet name: Gryphon
My name: Michele

EPI & Diabetes?

Post by Bowers » 11 Dec 2023, 21:05

Hello!

Gryphon has had several stable months after his EPI diagnose and for this I say thank you to this group!! His poops are near perfect daily!

Alas, I find I am a little lost now. This weekend, my kiddo mentioned to me that Gryphon's breath smelled like syrup. This is something I have noticed since he was a pup but it was never an "all the time" thing. It came and went so I just sort of forgot about it.

I noticed that he seemed really, really, more hungry than his normal this weekend as well.

This morning, he could not hold his urine in while he waited for me to open the door to send him out. As I checked the house, I found that he was up last night, and peed in the living room as well as this morning. It was that "boy dog" drizzle while he paced sort of thing! Normally he snoozes all night and I checked a camera and did him that he paced for bit before finally giving in as we were all asleep.

Today, he has seemed better. No signs of leaking urine.

Is it true that EPI dogs can become diabetic? It might be a one time thing but I would like to be proactive without sounding crazy at the vet! LOL!

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: EPI & Diabetes?

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Dec 2023, 11:23

Thanks for writing in about this.... and yes..... EPI dogs can develop Diabetes, although it does not happen as often as you think it would... but it does happen.

However, i would first check for possible UTI.

My Izzy, tested positive for EPI at 1+1/2 yrs old. At 7 years old she developed Diabetes (along with a diagnosis of IMHA). .... my Izzy went on to live with EPI + Diabetes (and other health conditions!!!) for 8 more years. SHe passed away at 15.

Just sharing this in case your dog is developing Diabetes......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: EPI & Diabetes?

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 12 Dec 2023, 12:57

Hello,
Of course dogs with EPI can develop diabetes, any and all dogs can. The syrup smell can be a sign of diabetes, but what is more common is increased drinking. If they aren't drinking a lot more water than is might not be full blown diabetes.
It could be they are pre diabetic, which would explain why it comes and goes. A food change might help here. Your vet should be able to recommend an option. Even if it isn't grain free, you can compensate for that with increased enzymes.
Another option is muscle atrophy. This is somewhat common with EPI pups depending on how much damage was done before diagnosis. Or, if they aren't getting all the nutrients they need. My Eddie is going through this, he has put on a lot of weight, but muscle is coming a little slower. Increased food and exercise will help but it might be slow. If it gets really bad you can try an incontinence medication.
Sadly, I don't have one final answer as it can be many different things and on different sides of the spectrum.