Sneezing after meals

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkay
State: Colorado
Pet name: Pepper
My name: Morgan

Sneezing after meals

Post by mkay » 15 Dec 2023, 20:35

Hi all, I'm a bit of a newbie but this forum has been monumentally helpful for the treatment of my furry friend. Epi4dogs is an amazing information-rich site and I'm eternally grateful for all that you do here.

Pepper is a 7 year old blue heeler mix, and as of now the most expensive dog we've ever had 😅 Several months ago Pepper started having the usual symptoms of fatty diarrhea, coprophagia, gas, stomach gurgling, increased hunger, weight loss, etc. She was diagnosed with EPI and we started her on enzymes a couple months ago. She's done very well and has gained almost all of the weight back, but we're still trying to get some of her other symptoms in check.

In the beginning she was on a plant-based enzyme product, and after discovering this forum I've switched her to porcine enzymes from Enzyme Diane. While the plant-based enzyme did cause significant improvement, she's gotten even better since starting the new enzyme.

I also just started her on slippery elm yesterday (1/2 scoop of the powder from Wonderlabs 20 minutes before breakfast and dinner. She also gets lunch, but without the SE per what I've seen on the forum) as well as a B12 supplement. She was getting a different B12 supplement before, but she's now on the Wonderlabs supplement with intrinsic factor, also started yesterday. Additionally, I was giving her a probiotic which I've now stopped.

For a long time before she started on the SE and new B12 supplement she was very gassy, her stomach still gurgled a lot, and she would occasionally vomit up small amounts of bile or foam, almost like she'd burp and a little would come up. I suspect this was probably due to SID, and seems to have improved since starting the SE and B12. However something strange has started since she started getting enzymes.

She'll have full blown hard sneezing fits immediately after she eats that gradually subside into tiny little continuous snort sneezes, and then after a while it'll almost completely go away aside from the occasional normal-seeming sneeze. She also gets a bit of a runny nose whenever she has fits, but it doesn't last.

Could this be from the enzymes? We always add warm water to her food with the enzymes and let it soak for 15 minutes before she eats (she HATES the wait and gets very demanding lol), and she gets her food in a flat dish. I doubt it's a pork allergy, since she was having the same issue with plant-based enzymes and she's never had a problem with pork before. We tried wiping her nose after eating as I saw someone here suggest and it seemed to help a bit but only minimally.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Sneezing after meals

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 15 Dec 2023, 21:09

I am glad Pepper is doing better. That is always great to hear.
The sneezing could be from many different things. I am going to try and help with what I think is the most common issues. Pepper might be getting some of the food/enzymes/slippery elm in her nose when she is eating. The sneezing is her way of trying to get it out. A slow feeder or a lick pad could help if that is the reason. Dogs don't typically sneeze from allergies unless it goes directly in their nose. Another possible cause could be her teeth. An infection or abscess in their teeth could be causing their sinuses to go into overdrive. With eating causing the infection to get worse at that time. These are some possibilities and I do hope you get it sorted out. Hopefully, someone else will come along with more information.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Dec 2023, 12:42

i don't have anything to add except to say, that i LIKE the slow feeding idea that Jeremy suggested..... especially since it sounds like Pepper is impatient when she has to wait for her food to "incubate".... so maybe she is gobbling it down so fast she is inhaling any remaining powder particles causing her to sneeze..........

I know their are special bowls to slow down fast eaters, but you can also just place large rocks in her bowl to help slow her down............ and see if this helps.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 16 Dec 2023, 16:20

I actually 3d printed a slow feeder for my littlest one. She doesn't have EPI. She would just finish eating then go bother the other two. They make bowls and inserts you can use.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Dec 2023, 12:31

oh wow!!!! you 3d printed a slow feeder???... that is AWESOME... crazy wild but awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 17 Dec 2023, 12:53

PXL_20231217_175101934.jpg
PXL_20231217_175101934.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 28869 times
PXL_20231217_175031402.jpg
PXL_20231217_175031402.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 28869 times
I also printed the medicine holders to help keep track of each medication and to have a top view. The grey bowl warped after being in the dishwasher. I have printed new one since then.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Dec 2023, 13:38

OMG... that is amazing!!!!!!1 and you even printed her name on it.

The leflunomide caught my attention.... they put my Izzy on that when she had IMHA.....

Eddiespaghetti

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 17 Dec 2023, 17:10

Yeah, the leflunomide is the go-to for immune-suppressants for dogs. Along with mycophenalate and cyclosporine.
The bowl actually says Maggie baggie, which is what we call her I just didn't show the other side. They all have custom bowls or bowls holders.