Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Re: Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Post by HunnysMom » 22 Jan 2024, 19:10

The photo I sent was the one I bought and I noticed it has less than the one on Amazon you suggested. I wanted to be sure I had something so I’ll be doubling up as needed.

I emailed Diane this morning but did not hear back.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 22 Jan 2024, 19:15

https://a.co/d/4o4xYrF
This is the one I use of USPS is terrible. My last order sat in a warehouse for 4 days before moving. I have Amazon prime and it can usually get to my house in a day. I did use these ones before switching to enzyme Diane.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 19:21

Jen the one you have is fine.... just double up....

I also (just now) included the Vital one on our emergency enzyme page for future reference.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 19:23

thanks Jeremy.... Pantenex and Enzyme Diane are both full strength enzymes for EPI dogs... it jsut depends on which product you prefer..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 22 Jan 2024, 19:29

I was just showing other options. I live in a small town and there isn't any type of store that you can get emergency enzymes. So, Amazon prime is a godsend for people like me.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 20:56

i hear ya!!!! I have moved a lot and some of the places i lived have been in remote areas and i too don't know what i would have done without Amazon!

HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Post by HunnysMom » 06 Mar 2024, 11:39

Update: Hunny is doing great and I have upped her enzymes which changed eveueyhing.

However, I’m so angry right now.

She was laying next to me on the floor chewing on something I give her once in awhile. She was balky and cute and then decided to jump on the couch with the toy.

The second she jumped up she spit up all of the food she had eaten about 25-30 mins earlier and the worst part is it was all completely formed.

She had not chewed anyyy of it.

She eats out of a maze bowl but it’s not helping.

I also split her 2 cups of food into anywhere from 6-8 feedings so it is smaller portions.

But tbh this spitting up whole pieces of food happens way more than it should.

She has destroyed my couch and I mean destroyed.

Help?

Are there any really really good slow feeders out there?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Mar 2024, 12:25

It is possible that the upchuck was cause by excessive chewing (fairy soon after eating and not chewing anything) and then jumping u on the couch... or ... this could simply be a SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis and/or secondary bile action malfunction coming to light that most EPI dogs have whether or not we see any indication of this or not.

Sorry your couch got ruined........ UGH!
Since you are already using a "slow-down-to eat" bowl... and feeding many multiple meals so giving smaller portions........i am at a loss at what else to suggest :(.

The ONLY other possibilities i can think of,
1. hide tiny portions of food.... so she has to "find" her meal.
2. hand feed/hand lick one bite at a time... BUT make her sit or give you her paw prior to every bite

Of course neither of these sound like easy solutions, so...hopefully / maybe someone else will come up with something........................

Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Post by Greyden » 06 Mar 2024, 12:43

Sorry to hear about Hunny’s barfing. You mentioned it happens more than it should. If you think it is from eating too fast and you are feeding dry food, snuffle mats work VERY well and are easy to find in all shapes and sizes.

If Hunny has been tolerating enzyme powder ‘forever’ and this just started - maybe she is now not tolerating the powder as well. Our Dot does not tolerate the powdered enzymes at all so we have had to go to enteric coated minimicrospheres in capsule (CREON10) Just a thought …..
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....