Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Re: Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Post by HunnysMom » 30 Dec 2023, 01:31

On hunny’s 3rd walk today she did her 2nd poop. It was formed yet not firm. However, one of the pieces was slightly firm. Slightly.

Today was her first day with the enzymes being upped. Perhaps tomorrow there will be more of a difference.

Will keep monitoring. This has been going on for
About two weeks now.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Dec 2023, 10:41

HI Jen... you are doing a great job..... hopefully you will see more and more improvement every day :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 03 Jan 2024, 08:55

Hi all,

Here is my latest update.

Poop still isn’t perfect. It has shape to it but still on the softer side with about 1 piece that’s firm when she goes. I have seen a difference and I’m attributing it to upping the enzyme. She’s now getting 1/4 teaspoon. I think I will up to 1 teaspoon.

She has def lost weight. I went through some photos of her a few months ago.

I’m also wondering if I need to be feeding her more now. She’s 4 and she gets 2 cups a day. Maybe I should go to 2.5 cups a day?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Jan 2024, 09:21

Hey Jen,
How much food per day does it say to feed Hunny for her desired weight? (On the bag of food)Add 50% more food to that amount and if you can, spread it out over 3 or 4 meals a day. And yes I would use the 1 teaspoon enzymes per 1 cup of food.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 03 Jan 2024, 14:50

What I did with Eddie was; feed him as much food as he would eat. We ended up giving him like 300 percent of his recommended caloric intake. As he put on weight we started to cut it back. He also stopped eating as much, so we knew we could cut it back. Every 4 hours or so, we would give him a cup of food with 1 teaspoon of enzymes. His recommended amount of food is 0.75-1.25 cups a day. You don't want to give them too much food at one time though as this could cause them to vomit. I would definitely try to go to 3 cups at day. 1 cup at breakfast lunch and dinner, if you are able to.
Also, you can try increasing the enzymes at one meal to see if you notice a difference.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 22 Jan 2024, 09:39

Hello all

I am back with another concern.

Hunnys enzymes from enzyme Diane are stuck in transit.

They were meant to arrive on Thursday and as of this
Morning tracking says they are in puerto Rico, ha!

I live in Texas.

I have been rationing her enzymes and I do not have enough to last her past today/tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I can’t even give her a full teaspoon because I don’t have enough and it looks like I’ll have to feed her without any enzymes.

Help.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jan 2024, 10:18

Puerto Rico!
We have a list of Emergency enzymes you can usually get at health food stores. You just need to use more. Hope this helps.

https://epi4dogs.com/emergency-enzymes/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 12:58

Are you kidding me???? Puerto Rico?! WOW... that is just crazy!

are there any pet stores where you can buy off the shelf plant enzymes ? you can always double up on it....and it "may" help to some degree until the real enzymes come in.

Or... order any other "other the counter" enzymes and overnight it or call you local pharmacy and see if they carry this? or even call Diane and buy a small amount to cover you and have her overnight it.

Or... go online and order "Vital Nutrients Pancreatic Enzymes 1000mg (Full Strength) - Digestion Supplement with Protease, Amylase & Lipase - Digestive Enzymes - Gluten Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free - 90 Capsules" and see if you can get these overnight.
Amazon carries these : https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Nutrients- ... B005HXOBFA
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 22 Jan 2024, 18:32

So I was bake to get this. Photo attached here. I know this is a high quality brand as I’ve taken this brand before myself.
IMG_5465.jpeg
IMG_5465.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 17597 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jan 2024, 18:50

the product you posted above will definitely help in an emergency situation.... you will just have to double up on them as a minimum (maybe more depending on how well Hunny does on this) ... but it certainly is a product that you can use to help you until you get EnzymeDiane's enzymes. And if you have this product on hand... definitely use it !!!!

However, if you don't have the above product on hand, The Vital product i posted about has twice as much Lipase in it, so you might want to give it some consideration too, if you are comfortable with trying it. We actually have an EPI dog that is thriving on the Vital product....even though the Lipase level is only 35,000 USP units which is on the very low end for an EPI dog... but your product (is it PURE??... if so i too like their supplements, good quality) also will do as an emergency enzyme!
Vital ingredients.png
Vital ingredients.png (83.53 KiB) Viewed 17583 times
Here are the ingredients for the Vital enzymes: