Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Dec 2023, 11:02

I haven’t posted in a while as Hunny has been doing well.

However, I’ve noticed about one to two weeks ago her poop started to become soft again not like diarrhea/sludge/patties but just soft, not firm at all.

it looks like she’s lost maybe between one and 3 pounds.

She is not currently on a probiotic and I wonder if this may make a difference. I want to get her the cleanest best one no big brands like Purina, or anything like that. I know there are recommendations on the site but I’d like to know which probiotics you have found the most success with.

Any thoughts as to why she might’ve lost a couple of pounds and her poop is very soft?

She has been on Diane’s enzymes for almost a full year now.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Hunny’s health reverting? Need help.

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 28 Dec 2023, 11:55

I would think the first thing to try is to increase the enzymes by like 1/8th of a teaspoon (~0.5ml depending on where you live)Sometimes dogs need more. You might need to increase it more, depending on how it goes. I am unsure if their body gets used to it or they make less enzymes. Regardless of why, I think this would be a good place to start.
The soft poo could be from SIDs getting out of control either from needing more enzymes, or just a random flare up. Slippery elm or Tylosin should help clear this right up.
As for probiotics, I honestly have no idea of they actually help or not. They don't seem to hurt so I keep giving it to my puppos.
TummyWorks Probiotic Powder for Dogs & Cats. Relieves Diarrhea, Upset Stomach, Gas, Constipation & Bad Breath, Itching, Allergies & Yeast Infections. Added Digestive Enzymes & Prebiotics. Made in USA https://a.co/d/0ud2qA7
That is what is what I am currently giving to all my dogs. I have zero idea if this is the best option, but it's the only one they eat consistently.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Dec 2023, 12:18

Sorry to hear Hunny is having a set-back.... however.... this is pretty typical with EPI.

Most likely what is going on is that SID/SIBO is getting a little out of control. The first thing i would do is to "slightly" increase the enzymes... and see if that helps.

Next.... some of the reasons why this happens are the following:
1. Sometimes as some of these EPI dogs age, they need a pinch more enzymes...
2. Other times they got into something they shouldn't have and this could be triggering a setback
3. What i have noticed from many cases of this on the forum over the past 15 years is that more often than not, the out of control SID/SIBO has something to do with the diet n:
(a) Sometimes they start to develop a sensitivity to something they have always
(b) Sometimes the company changed the formula a bit and this triggers SID/SIBO
(c) Sometimes they just had too much of a particular ingredient and this triggers SID/SIBO
4. Sometimes it is that their B12 is running low and this can trigger loose stools
5. Sometimes it is caused by a new medication the dog is on
6. Sometimes it has nothing to do with EPI and is a symptom of something else that is going on........

My suggestion is to start with what is often the most common cause.....possibly something with the diet is no longer agreeing 100% with Hunny... SO.... try increasing the enzymes and see if this improves the poo.... if it does, then you can assume (at this juncture), it's food related... and then you can either look at changing the food, or adding a pre+probiotic, or leave things as they are and simply increase the enzymes whether the extra enzymes are now needed because Hunny has aged and just needs a pinch more enzymes to properly digest all the food, OR... extra enzymes are needed cause this diet, for whatever reason, is no longer 100% optimal for Hunny.

Some of our probiotic recommendations, although there are no guarantees are:
Proviable
Visbiome
VetriScience Mega Probiotics

If none of the above works, THEN i would run another B12 test to see where the levels are, and if the B12 is normal.... then i would ask the vet to do a check up...........and especially note f there are ANY other signs/symptoms that you are observing.......... just in case this is not EPI related.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Dec 2023, 12:57

What food is Hunny currently on?
I have used Proviable with good results.
I am currently using 4 leaf rover for suspected leaky gut causing allergies in one of my non Epi pups.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Dec 2023, 14:17

Hello All!

So apprecaite the speedy responses.

I am hearing to first try upping her enzyme. I actually did this this morning and gave her a bit more food. Perhaps I do not need to give her more food BUT did it anyway.

Hunny eats Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream. I started her on this about a year ago after hearing from a number of folks hear that use it. After her first feeding of it it was a game changer, like MAGIC.

An issue Hunny has that I have literally no way of preventing is her eating grass, sticks, etc.

No matter where we go she eats grass and plants and sticks. The moment I notice she does it I try to get it out of her mouth but sometimes not possible.

I also notice if she eats something it can cause a setback for weeks and then her poop goes back to normal, however this time I see the weight loss and it is not going back to normal.

I will continue giving her a bit more of the enzyme and see what happens.

She was last tested b12 a little over a year ago and her b12 was fine. But maybe this has changed.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Dec 2023, 14:21

So while upping her food amount did you give the correct dose (1cup food/1 teaspoon enzyme) and then add an additional 1/8 t enzymes?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Dec 2023, 15:26

Oh my...........gotta love the sneaky dog that grabs bites of things that it shouldn't especially if it upsets their tummy...... and THEN refuses to give it up *sigh* :lol:

My only suggestion for this is to get this inexpensive muzzle and just put it on when Hunny goes outside.... it will prevent eating things she shouldn't:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KWYNK4/re ... =UTF8&th=1

Attachments
muzzle.jpg
muzzle.jpg (17.31 KiB) Viewed 22969 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 28 Dec 2023, 17:07

I don't know if this is what is happening with you and Hunny. Before we got Eddie dialed in and again when we found out we had to increase the enzymes; he would eat everything that was in front of him. Once he was getting the nutrients he stopped doing it as much. I don't know if this is a long running issue or not for you. If it is I agree with Olesia to maybe muzzle or leash them when they go outside. At least for a little bit to see if Hunny stops.
Again not sure if this helps, but my partners mom's dog will eat sticks and weird stuff when they aren't getting enough attention. She will find the loudest thing to chew on to let us know she bored.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 28 Dec 2023, 17:35

Jill - i just started today.

So, I have to see how she ends up doing.

I also feel her energy is less now too. As I was walking her today it was clear she has def. lost weight. I am not going into freak out mode but it is so reminiscent of last year and feeling like she was going to die.

Olesia, I dont think I could do the muzzle tbh.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Dec 2023, 18:34

hmmmmmmm.... less energy, and weight loss????? The less energy would be concerning to me enough to warrant a re-check B12 test..... and a visit to the vet to check her over.......

UNless increase enzymes appear to help.

Understand completely if you cannot do the muzzle. NOt everyone is comfortable with using something like this as a training tool.