Struggling, help with GSD please

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Re: Struggling, help with GSD please

Post by Kissy1921 » 30 Dec 2023, 13:57

Olesia711 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 11:06 glad you are taking Molly to the vet.... to me this sounds like EPI in the background with raging SID (small intestinal dysbiosis)... HOWEVER... as Jill mentioned..... EPI symptoms can mimic so many other health conditions, that we can be fooled into thinking it is EPI when it is something else, so best to have the vet check out what is going on now... but.... if you can, maybe find a different vet that will draw blood for a proper EPI test called the TLI test.

Please do keep us posted with what the vet says.......
Ok we are back from the vets, we had a different vet this time, a polish girl, lovely and helpful. She agrees it is SID but hasn't got any Tylan in stock. She has given me a prescription for 100g so as I can order it online but it is the holiday time until Tuesday so is going to be at least a week to get them delivered.

In the meantime she has given me some Noroclav which is penicillin based to tide her over, 7 days worth. Molly has had these before and they worked well. We will then have the Tylan in stock if /when SID rises its ugly head again.
According to her records her last SID episode was January 2023. so we havent done bad at all.

As for the EPI, we are to continue with the enzymes for now, I have Chemeyes ones on order, when they have the stool sample results back and she has recovered from this episode we are going to take her in to be fully sedated, then they will do a TLI test, a full blood count, scan her and give her a full exam without causing any stress.

I couldnt be happier, we have a vet who is happy to investigate further.

Do I carry on with the SE now she is on antibiotics?

Thanks to you all so much for your help.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 30 Dec 2023, 15:16

I would stop with the Slippery elm while giving antibiotics and the Tylan. You don't need to give both. When done with the Tylan regimen, you can start with slippery elm to hopefully stop SID from coming back.
Just make sure to ween once you are getting close to the end of the tylosin.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Dec 2023, 20:09

Ahhhh.... so it is SID/SIBO dysbiosis. I am very pleased to hear that this vet gave you a script for Tylan..... AND that she will work with you, and test Molly for EPI with the TLI blood test. You must be so relieved!!! This is great news :) And this vet sounds like she know what she is doing, like staying on the enzymes for now and re-assess once you get the TLI test results.

And yes, as mentioned earlier, once you start the Tylan.... there is no need to give Slippery Elm at this point.......... however..... be sure to give the Tylan twice a day around a meal for 45 days.........here is the dosage recommendations based on a dog's weight:
https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/
... also.... some dogs hate the taste of Tylan, so best to try giving the Tylan powder camouflaged in something yummy and very strong in flavor.... or..... what i did (cause my dog REALLY hated the taste of Tylan) i used to pour the designated amount of Tylan into empty gel caps, then cover the gel cap with cream cheese and this was how i got my dog to take the tylan powder.

If your dog does well with the above technique... after a few days, then try mixing the Tylan powder in the food (meal) and see if Molly will eat it. if she does then no need to go thru all the trouble above by camouflaging the tylan... but if she refuses to eat, then go back to the above technique.

Also.... when you are about 1/2 way thru the 45 days on Tylan.... then talk to your vet about introducing a pre+probiotic.... always start with less than 1/2 the recommended dose of any probiotic and work your way up to a full dose after a week or two.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 11 Jan 2024, 06:22

An update on Molly and thanks to everybody who helped.

She finished the amoxycillin on Sunday, although no more diarrhea and volumes of cow pat poo, her stools were still soft and light coloured but thankfully normal size with no undigested food in .

I contacted our vet again who advised that we try a soil based probiotic /prebiotic and start with half the dose and increase it daily, but if there was no difference in three days to start the Tylan. We started her on Four Leaf Rover Protect on Tuesday, half the dose, 3/4 of the dose yesterday and this morning we finally had two nicely formed firm poos that were even the right colour!!! Just a tiny squirt of loose at the end, this is a huge difference.

Our vet then called this morning and confirmed that all her stool samples were clear of any infections or parasites and that she is therefore leaning towards EPI or IBD, both of which she says could cause the SID/SIBO and would like to do tests to confirm, the cTLI, the B12 and folate tests, plus a full blood count. They are also going to scan her whilst she is sedated, she is booked in on 23rd January so hopefully we will have some definite answers that week.

I will update when we know more.

Many thanks

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jan 2024, 09:49

Thanks for the update Dawn.
I am almost through my container of Four leaf Rover and am quite impressed with it.
Keep us updated and looking forward to test results.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 11 Jan 2024, 11:25

jilbert57 wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 09:49 Thanks for the update Dawn.
I am almost through my container of Four leaf Rover and am quite impressed with it.
Keep us updated and looking forward to test results.

Jill
Yes, it's brilliant, am really impressed with it, have to say I was worried it may make her worse but so far ............... all ok......... touch wood lol

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jan 2024, 16:31

Mine is the Gut Guard.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.