Coat Staining?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
KarenH
Pet name: Philip
My name: Karen

Coat Staining?

Post by KarenH » 31 Dec 2023, 11:17

Our boy has recently developed brownish staining on the inside of his back legs legs and hocks. It is similar to the permanent staining around his mouth so wondering if this too is a result of enzymes. Has anyone experienced this type of staining with a lighter-coloured EPI dog?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Coat Staining?

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Dec 2023, 12:41

Hi Karen,

Oh wow..... but no... in 15 years of running this forum..... i have never heard of this issue with the enzymes "staining" the fur. But then again, i have also learned never to say never.

However..... i have seen border collies where the white fur running down the back of the legs were "stained" yellowish brown.... and it was from them not angling themselves correctly when peeing.... but.... that doesn't explain the around the mouth staining.... unless your dog is then trying to lick himself clean.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a possible suggestion.................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

KarenH

Post by KarenH » 31 Dec 2023, 12:43

Hi Olesia. Yes I am thinking perhaps he ‘cleans himself’ shortly after meals when there is still enzyme residue in his mouth.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Dec 2023, 12:58

i just never heard of enzymes staining the fur..... i 'll text one of the enzyme companies about this and get back to you if this is a known possibility.................. in the meantime.... i just went on the internet and asked A.I. and this is the response i got

"I could not find any information on whether pancreatic enzymes can stain fur. However, according to the American Kennel Club, the most common reason for pink, red, orange, or brown stains on a dog’s fur is porphyrin, which is a chemical breakdown product associated with red blood cells 2. Porphyrins are excreted from tears, saliva, urine, and feces and are high in iron 2.

Of course, this was an A.I. response.... so take it with this understanding...... however.... might be a good thing to talk to your vet about it......................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

alicebobby
Pet name: mia
My name: Alice

Post by alicebobby » 11 Mar 2024, 00:28

Hello Olesia. Indeed, I'm wondering that he might "clean himself" right after eating, while his mouth is still full with enzymes.  retro bowl college 

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Mar 2024, 12:10

ahhh... found out that YES! if he is licking himself with enzyme residue still lingering in his mouth that it can change the color of his fur.

However,,,not sure by how much it can alter the color... i guess that would depend on how much licking he is doing with how much enzyme residue ...................

never would have guessed this. glad i checked and thanks for asking. It happens with light colored doodles around their mouth and it sounds like your dogs back end too since he licks there! It appears to be an orange -brownish coor

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Mar 2024, 12:14

oh... but it was also suggested that it could be a yeast issue... so you might want to have the vet check that too.... just in case.

KarenH

Post by KarenH » 12 Mar 2024, 12:22

Vet appointment this week to discuss. Probably not yeast as the discoloration has not resolved after a month of serial bathing with medicated shampoo. I do believe the staining is due to repetitive licking shortly after meals and need to figure out if there is an underlying issue (like pain). Thank you for your replies and will keep you posted!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Mar 2024, 12:37

Please do keep me posted on Phillip.. This was a first for me.. and i am very interested.... but i am sure it is also very frustrating for you.

Just curious if you have tried
1. wiping down the legs and around the mouth with hydrogen peroxide (or making a paste of baking soda and water) and see if that would lighten the stains?

2. or wiping down with 1/2 & 1/2 white vinegar and water? I know vinegar destroys the efficacy of enzymes but not sure if it would lighten the stain....

KarenH

Post by KarenH » 12 Mar 2024, 13:14

Have not tried wiping with peroxide or vinegar. Our breed tends to have sensitive skin and would not want to use anything harsh on a repetitive basis. When initially discussing this with the vet we all agreed the medicated shampoo approach would help eliminate superficial bacteria/yeast/allergens and not be drying or irritating. I am not as much concerned about the appearance of the staining as trying to determine *why* he is licking specific areas… his hocks, inside back legs, underside of tail and more recently his front left shoulder. During the past month he has also been showing intermittent stiffness in his front left leg and rear legs, so now wondering if maybe the licking has been a pain signal all along? This week he will have vet exam, bloodwork (including SNAP test for tick-borne illness) and possibly x-ray his left leg/shoulder. Just trying to consider possible physical reasons for repetitive licking of certain areas… osteoarthritis, Lyme, etc.