newbie here in need of advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mburtch1
State: Michigan
Pet name: Hachi
My name: Mark

Re: newbie here in need of advice

Post by mburtch1 » 19 Jan 2024, 17:45

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 16:01 I do not have a lot of experience with PLE. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
From what I understand, PLE is a symptom not a condition. My pup Emma had PLE before we got her diagnosed with congested heart failure. It lead to severe dehydration. Once we got her on medication everything else worked itself out.
The severe dehydration could be leading to the increased water intake but it isn't being absorbed correctly. If there isn't fluid around any of the organs, it might just be idiopathic IBD.
As Olesia said, dietary changes and (if needed) medication should help clear this up. In the meantime, an IV might help flush out the kidneys to get the BUN/creatine ratio down. It should help with dehydration as well.
Thank you for that info ,,,,,, mark

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 19 Jan 2024, 17:50

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 16:01 I do not have a lot of experience with PLE. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
From what I understand, PLE is a symptom not a condition. My pup Emma had PLE before we got her diagnosed with congested heart failure. It lead to severe dehydration. Once we got her on medication everything else worked itself out.
The severe dehydration could be leading to the increased water intake but it isn't being absorbed correctly. If there isn't fluid around any of the organs, it might just be idiopathic IBD.
As Olesia said, dietary changes and (if needed) medication should help clear this up. In the meantime, an IV might help flush out the kidneys to get the BUN/creatine ratio down. It should help with dehydration as well.
Thank you for that info ,,,,,,,,, mark

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Jan 2024, 19:00

Hi Mark,

Since chicken seems to give him lots of itchies..... try a food with low fat/no chicken. Since Hachi is such a small dog, maybe you can skip commercial foods and just make your own food for him until you see the vet...... something like baked turkey breast or white fish with white rice... it will not be fully balanced, but it won't hurt short term until you see the vet and see what kind of diet they recommend.

He is such a cutie... i hope he gets the care that is needed soon! Nice honor to be named after the famous Akita dog.... sure is a heart-breaking true story.......... i watched the movie and cried and cried and cried!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 20 Jan 2024, 19:57

Olesia711 wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:53 Mark,
i just saw the pictures of your pup Hachi... OMG... what a cutie!!!! Did you name him after the Akita "Hachikō’s" in Japan who waited at the train station for his master.... every day for like 10 years? Such an amazing story of the love and loyalty of a dog...............

ANyway... i do hope you find some resolution for your Hachi...... maybe start with white chicken or white turkey meat and rice...... for a few days... and see if that helps... and if so, then ask your vet for guidance as to what low fat food he/she might recommend...............
i am going to start Hachi on white turkey breast , should i boiled the turkey breast instead of baking it ,and for the rice should i use brown or white thank you ,,,, mark & hachi

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Jan 2024, 20:16

always bake the meat.

When meat is boiled... al the fat in the meat gets reabsorbed and you don't want that.

I would suggest white rice.

Actually if you can, boil the rice, and cool in the frig over night before using. Supposedly when cooled for 12 hours ....the starch resistance in the rice is increased and that actually reduces the glycemic action which is beneficial.... which might further benefit Hachi.... or not... but worth trying.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 21 Jan 2024, 10:10

OK I will bake the turkey, and I did make rice last night . With what hachi is eating right now the Cesar ham &eggs with potatoes as of now he has solid poo in the morning and then thick diarrhea after that for the rest of the day , I hope the turkey & rice will fix that

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2024, 11:45

fingers crossed that this works, if it doesn't help please let us know!

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 21 Jan 2024, 12:25

Turkey is in the oven , yes I will keep you informed

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Jan 2024, 12:33

exellent!
Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 21 Jan 2024, 15:44

Well hachi ate all the turkey but not rice , is there something I can pour on the turkey and rice ? I didn't give him alot just a small portion