newbie here in need of advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mburtch1
State: Michigan
Pet name: Hachi
My name: Mark

newbie here in need of advice

Post by mburtch1 » 18 Jan 2024, 20:24

my name is mark and my fur buddie is a pomeranian , my vet has no idea whats wrong with him , he said it was beyond his skills , the systems Hachi has is 1. smelly diarrhea sometimes watery 2. throwing up 3 smelly farts 4 dry skin 5 stomach gurgles 6 dull color hair and not growing . he was 13 pounds and in 5 or 6 weeks he is now 8.4 pounds , it is breaking my heart seen him like this , after reading on this site i had the vet give Hachi the LT1 and Blood work i will post that , also he is low on his protein , can you tell me anything from the test , also had some xrays done and the one i am posting vet said that his small intestines have a very thick wall

Thank You , Mark
PS if you need more information i will post it
Attachments
xray.jpg
xray.jpg (914.51 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Hachi 1 14 2024.jpg
Hachi 1 14 2024.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Hachi.jpg
Hachi.jpg (471.71 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: newbie here in need of advice

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Jan 2024, 21:42

From the results his B12 level is low and the Tli result is NOT Epi. >50 is more indicative of pancreatitis. Has regular blood work been done recently?
Does Hachi appear to have a gut ache?
What food are you feeding?

This is from vetinfo:
"high TLI level is associated with an increase in trypsin in blood and also with acute pancreatitis. Normal TLI values in dogs range between 5-35mg/L. Values lower than 3mg/L indicate EPI, while values higher than 35 µg/L indicate severe pancreatis."

Does Hachi appear dehydrated at all?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 18 Jan 2024, 22:47

hi jill
yes blood work was just done , he does sometimes have a gut ache , he ate steak new york strip and chicken legs boiled and some white potato but he cant anymore also i just tried ground turkey with brown rice , egg, and broccoli , nope cant do that also , so he is eatting Cesar ham and egg and potato soft dog food still has diarrhea thick not watery , dehydrated , no he has been drinking alot of water alot , i will send blood work imagie also i sent a pic of the food
Attachments
food.jpg
food.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 1997 times
blood 2.jpg
blood 2.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 1997 times
blood 1.jpg
blood 1.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 1997 times

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 19 Jan 2024, 08:33

goodmorning jill

today the Pancreatin 6x - Single Order - SAMPLE is coming in the usps around 8pm and the b12 will arrive on monday . i will start hachi on the Pancreatin 6x saturday in the morning 3x a day 1/8 teaspoon , oh he did get a b12 shot last week when he had gotten his blood work because i seen on here that if it was low things would not work , the vet is puzzled over this , he said he never seen this before , and he was thinking of cancer , i told him about this site but i think he was a little skeptical , i told him i will keep him inform threw Hachi"s journey , plus Hachi does need to go back to him for blood works to see how things are doing , oh when the b12 tads come in on monday i"ll will give him once a day

oh i did order the thefarmersdog food for him the beef , chicken , and turkey going to see which on will work out for him , and get him staple , this website is a god sent , ,,,,,,,,,, Mark

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Jan 2024, 09:45

Good morning Mark, from the blood work sure does NOT look like pancreatitis.
The low Cholesterol plus some of the other low blood values indicate possible PLE(Protein Losing Enteropathy) to me but I anm not a vet.
I will notify our founder Olesia who had a pup with PLE.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... le-in-dogs

Hypocholesterolemia(low cholesterol)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... c%20shunts)%2C%20or%20hypoadrenocorticism.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Jan 2024, 12:25

thanks for asking,

ANytime i see lab results with (1) low albumin in a dog that displays EPI signs/symptoms, the first thing that comes to mind is PLE.
The fact that this is the case along with (2) low cholesterol and (3) low globulin even further strengthens the possibility that this might be PLE (protein losing enteropathy).

If you'd like to read a detailed article about PLE..... we have a good article on this site
https://epi4dogs.com/ple/

However, usually with PLE (depending on the severity, the main course of action is dietary ... feed an Ultra-low fat diet and feed very small portions, like 4 to 5 mini meals a day.

Next sometimes drugs (antibiotics) are needed and/or steroids (prednisone)... but if or when this is necessary, this is something that your vet will have to determine what might be best for your pup.

Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 19 Jan 2024, 12:38

hi jiii

your right vet did say hachi wasnt absorbing Protein that it mt because off the wall thicking of his small intestines ,,,, i will not give him the pancreatin . i will wait for more PLE ,,, info , thank you so much , Mark & Hachi

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Jan 2024, 12:53

Mark,
i just saw the pictures of your pup Hachi... OMG... what a cutie!!!! Did you name him after the Akita "Hachikō’s" in Japan who waited at the train station for his master.... every day for like 10 years? Such an amazing story of the love and loyalty of a dog...............

ANyway... i do hope you find some resolution for your Hachi...... maybe start with white chicken or white turkey meat and rice...... for a few days... and see if that helps... and if so, then ask your vet for guidance as to what low fat food he/she might recommend...............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 19 Jan 2024, 16:01

I do not have a lot of experience with PLE. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
From what I understand, PLE is a symptom not a condition. My pup Emma had PLE before we got her diagnosed with congested heart failure. It lead to severe dehydration. Once we got her on medication everything else worked itself out.
The severe dehydration could be leading to the increased water intake but it isn't being absorbed correctly. If there isn't fluid around any of the organs, it might just be idiopathic IBD.
As Olesia said, dietary changes and (if needed) medication should help clear this up. In the meantime, an IV might help flush out the kidneys to get the BUN/creatine ratio down. It should help with dehydration as well.

mburtch1

Post by mburtch1 » 19 Jan 2024, 17:43

Olesia711 wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:53 Mark,
i just saw the pictures of your pup Hachi... OMG... what a cutie!!!! Did you name him after the Akita "Hachikō’s" in Japan who waited at the train station for his master.... every day for like 10 years? Such an amazing story of the love and loyalty of a dog...............

ANyway... i do hope you find some resolution for your Hachi...... maybe start with white chicken or white turkey meat and rice...... for a few days... and see if that helps... and if so, then ask your vet for guidance as to what low fat food he/she might recommend...............
yes , thats excatly where his name came from , great movie but a tear jurker , that was like a week ago he went to the groomers , they didnt cut him because they said his hair didnt grow , the hair you see on him is his under coat the long hair hasnt grown .and when he had the long hair he look like a fox.

Hachi ate chicken and beef for years , but i think the chicken now makes him itch so bad that we took him to the vets and they gave him itch pills , but it made him diarrhea and throw up , so we went back to the vets and they gave him an itch shot , guess what it was worse , he diarrhea and threw up for a month , so 5 weeks goes by started to itch again to him back to the vets and told him about the side effects , he said he has to get the shot every month to get use to it , so he got another shot again he did the same thing now going on 6 / 7 weeks but this time he lost alot of weight , so i dont know whats going on , but what i do know all this didnt happen till the itch shots , which might of set something off i dont know but i is breaking my heart , i do have a vet app at VCA Animal Hosp monday and i ask if they had a vet there that was experience in PLE they said yes , so lets see what happens ,,,, and thank you ,,,,,,, mark