5 Month Old Puppy with low TLI - questions!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
patty_on
Pet name: Bonnie

Re: 5 Month Old Puppy with low TLI - questions!

Post by patty_on » 29 Jan 2024, 09:06

Thank you so much Olesia and Jeremy—you are both incredibly helpful!! I'm heartened to know her levels may improve.

I have discovered that Thrive also makes a powdered pork pancreas product. Do you think this would be better than the bovine? https://bigcountryraw.ca/product/thrive-pork-pancreas/

I'm intrigued by the royal icing for treats and am wondering two things:

- The amount of enzyme powder seems low. Should I increase it to match the amount of treats I'm making? (e.g., one tsp enzymes for one cup of treats)
- Would it be reasonable to spread the enzyme powder on commercially prepared treats (e.g., dehydrated beef liver)?

I'm definitely going to do the squeeze bottle for puppy school though. That seems easiest for times when I know I will have to "deliver" a LOT of treats haha.

Thank you again!!

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 29 Jan 2024, 10:04

The pork pancreas is stronger. The lipase went from 700 to about 27,000. It still might not be strong enough for EPI. Enzyme Diane, the lipase is about 78,000 usp/2.8g.
https://enzymediane.com/product/pancrea ... e-product/
Though, if something is working for you and your pup there is no need to change it. I like to use stronger enzymes and give less with each meal. This is to make sure it mixes well.
With the royal icing I used milkbone minis. The royal icing covered 36 treats and Eddie had zero problems. You might have to adjust the ingredients based off what treats you give your pup and how well they handle it.
https://www.chewy.com/milk-bone-minis-f ... u4QAvD_BwE
Link to show you what treats I am talking about. Eddie is small hence the small treats. He weighs 18 pounds.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Jan 2024, 10:21

hahahaha..... if you compare the posts... i think i win the prize for rambling..... i know i go on and on and on...... but EPI is a very convoluted condition... so i like to offer "well-rounded" possibilities and explanations...... although sometimes it probably is too much information :roll:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 29 Jan 2024, 11:46

You are both amazing!! Thank you so much for all this incredible information.

I'll keep you posted on how things go. :)

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 29 Jan 2024, 12:21

I do have one more question I forgot to ask!

I'm planning to order the B12 from Wonderlabs, but in the meantime is it okay to give human B12 capsules opened and sprinkled onto incubated food? Something like this? Not sure if the dosage is appropriate. https://www.amazon.ca/Pure-Encapsulatio ... 95&sr=8-12

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Jan 2024, 13:20

yes, i just checked it out..... yes... it is perfectly fine..... the only difference between this and Wonderlab's Pet Factor B12 is that it does not include the Intrinsic factor and Folate like the Wonderlabs product does which both greatly aid in the absorption of oral B12. The intrinsic factor, although not species specific, appears to make a big difference with EPI dogs absorbing oral B12.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 29 Jan 2024, 17:07

Since your pup's B12 was 552. You can probably give half a pill once a day. We want EPI dogs B12 around 600. While it doesn't HAVE to be that high for them to be healthy. It really helps to give us a cushion if something goes wrong. It also removes that from the list of troubleshooting, if something goes wrong. I give Eddie 2-3 pills a week, of course he little and old.

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 29 Jan 2024, 21:41

Great info, as always. I'll start with half a capsule per day. Thank you both again!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2024, 15:33

you are very welcome!

patty_on

Post by patty_on » 06 Feb 2024, 21:20

An update that Bonnie had been doing very well for the past week, off the Tylosin as of seven days ago and onto slippery elm + Fortiflora + B12 alongside the bovine pancreas (powdered pork pancreas arrived today, and we will be receiving EnzymeDiane when a family member brings it back from the US at the end of the month). 1 & 1/2 tsp on 1 & 1/2 cups food twice daily.

Unfortunately tonight she went from a normal poop at 4:30pm, to a very soft poop that turned into diarrhea at 7:30pm, to liquid diarrhea at 8:30pm.

Would you recommend increasing the slippery elm? She is currently getting 1/4tsp twice daily. She weighs about 30lbs right now.

We have been giving her tiny pieces of freeze dried green tripe as treats and maybe overdid it the past couple of days. I also gave her a touch more enzymed food today as she seems so hungry. Not sure if that contributed, or if she maybe picked up something on a walk, or if SID is flaring. It looks/smells like SID diarrhea to me.

Any advice on flareups/setbacks would be very appreciated! Many thanks.