New Vet approved Home-made diets

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

New Vet approved Home-made diets

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2024, 15:52

Hi everyone, with all the ebb and flow of dog food re-calls....

Epi4Dogs did some investigating to find some good and qualified home-made dog food recipes to add to our already existing list of suggestions.... and we found a few that we were impressed with and that are vet approved. These additional recipes are now located a little ways down on our https://epi4dogs.com/diet-raw-home-prepared-recipes/ page " 2024 Vet approved Home-made recipes for dogs:".

However, i will also post these multiple recipes here in this forum thread for your convenience and perusal:

2024 Vet approved Home-made recipes for dogs:
The first two PupLoaf’s (by Vet Dr. Judy Morgan) these recipes are made with detailed but available ingredients so that extra supplements (vitamins/mineral/bone) need not be added in PupLoaf recipes #1 & #2. What i also like about these is that they are lightly baked at low temperatures :)
https://drjudymorgan.com/blogs/recipes/ ... de-puploaf

#1 HOMEMADE PUP LOAF
Ingredients:
• 3 pounds beef (90% lean)
• 8 ounces beef heart
• 5 ounces beef liver
• 20 ounces chicken gizzards
• 3 cans sardines in water, minus the juice (no salt)
• 6 ounces mussels (3 teaspoons kelp could replace the mussels for trace minerals)
• 2 teaspoons ground fresh ginger
• 5 eggs with shell
• 3 ounces red bell pepper
• 5 ounces mixed dark leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach)
• 4 ounces broccoli
• 6 ounces butternut squash
• 3 tablespoons flax seed oil (or coconut oil)
• 4 ounces cranberries
• 4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms

#2 HOMEMADE PUP LOAF
Ingredients:
• 3 pounds ground beef (90% lean)
• 10 ounces beef liver
• 10 ounces chicken gizzards
• 2 cans sardines in water (no salt)
• 3 tablespoons sea kelp powder
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 5 large eggs with shell
• 3 ounces red bell pepper
• 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
• 4 ounces broccoli
• 6 ounces pumpkin
• 3 tablespoons flax seed oil (or coconut oil)
• 4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms

Instructions:
1. Grind and mix all ingredients together.
2. Pour into loaf, casserole, or muffin pans.
3. Bake at 325 for 30 to 60 minutes depending on size of pan; should be lightly done, not overcooked (juicy in the center). If your pet has a beef or chicken allergy, turkey can be substituted.
4. Use within 3-5 days, freeze extra portions.
5. Feed warmed to room temperature.
6. In general feed 20 to 30 calories per pound of body weight…Or stated another way, feed 2% to 3% of your dog’s weight. Puppies require double or feed 5% to 6% of their body weight. EPI dogs tend to need to be fed 4% of their body weight.

Portions will vary depending on the dog/age/activity/weight….. the following are the feeding guidelines. (taken from TONYA WILHELM’s website/Facebook page with regards to the nutritional calculations for Dr. Judy Morgan’s “Homemade PupLoaf” recipe).
Smaller dogs tend to eat amounts closer to the higher end of their weight range, while larger dogs tend to eat amount closer to the lower end of their weight range.

If your dog is active – lean towards the higher amount.
If your dog is a couch potato or overweight – lean towards the lower amount.

DOG WEIGHT/ AMOUNT (daily)/ CALORIES OF FOOD

5 lbs 1.5 to 2.5 ounces 100 to 150 calories
10 lbs 3 to 5 ounces 200 to 300 calories
15 lbs 5 to 7 ounces 300 to 450 calories
20 lbs 6 to 10 ounces 400 to 600 calories
25 lbs 8 to 12 ounces 500 to 750 calories
30 lbs 10 to 14 ounces 600 to 900 calories
35 lbs 11 to 17 ounces 700 to 1,050 calories
40 lbs 13 to 19 ounces 800 to 1,200 calories
45 lbs 14 to 22 ounces 900 to 1,350 calories
50 lbs 16 to 24 ounces 1,000 to 1,500 calories
55 lbs 18 to 26 ounces 1,100 to 1,650 calories
60 lbs 19 to 29 ounces 1,200 to 1,800 calories
65 lbs 21 to 31 ounces 1,300 to 1,950 calories
70 lbs 22 to 34 ounces 1,400 to 2,100 calories
75 lbs 24 to 36 ounces 1,500 to 2,250 calories
80 lbs 26 to 38 ounces 1,600 to 2,400 calories
85 lbs 27 to 41 ounces 1,700 to 2,550 calories
90 lbs 29 to 43 ounces 1,800 to 2,700 calories
95 lbs 30 to 46 ounces 1,900 to 2,850 calories
100 lbs 32 to 48 ounces 2,000 to 3,000 calories

Running low on time or having trouble sourcing fancy indigents? No problem! This vet-approved, simplified version is by Clayton Veterinary Associates LLC. and Churchtown Veterinary Associates LLC. https://claytonvetnj.com/written-recipes/ features just four ingredients and its base are easily substituted with “The One” ( https://fotp.com/products/the-one ) or another trusted supplement. Enjoy all of the convenience of the original Dr. Judy pup loaf recipe with this quick, modified twist on it.

#3 HOMEMADE PUP LOAF
Ingredients:
• 1 pound ground beef (85% lean or higher)
• 1 pound ground turkey
• 2 eggs
1 scoop of “The One” supplement
 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and mix the ground beef and ground turkey together in a large bowl. Crack two eggs into the meat mixture and continue mixing until homogenized. Add The One into the meat and egg mixture, stir, and pour into one or two lightly greased loaf pans (olive oil is best). Bake for forty-five minutes to an hour, then remove and let cool before slicing. The loaf is best served warm and should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer until feeding.
The recommended serving size is 4 ounces per 10 pounds of body weight twice daily.

#4 HOMEMADE RAW GRAIN-FREE PUP LOAF
Created by Walkerville Vet, the recipe is designed for pet owners who want to be more discerning about what their dog is eating, either due to allergies or intolerances or simply out of a desire for a more natural, preservative-free meal option.
For more details, please visit their website: https://www.walkervillevet.com.au/blog/ ... SnippetTab
Serves the requirements of an 8kg (17.5 lbs) dog for 3-4 days
• 250g chopped beef or lamb, raw
• 1 cup chopped carrots, raw
• 1 cup chopped apple, raw
• ¼ cup frozen peas, defrosted
• 1½ cups chopped pumpkin or squash
• ⅔ cup brown or basmati rice (will cook to 3 cups)
• 4 teaspoons sunflower oil
• 4g fish oil
• Other ingredients? See below
Method: no need to get fancy.
1. Cook the rice and pumpkin together until soft, and allow to cool
2. Mix in the raw ingredients (dogs mostly also like their peas raw)
3. Feed the required quantity per day, refrigerate the remainder
4. Can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 2 weeks

Other Ingredients
Analysis of almost any homemade meal would show multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies. In practice, this may be tolerated by your dog but I recommend a vitamin and mineral supplement. Balance IT is designed for home-made diets and can be ordered from the USA, or you can use other supplements such as : The One, Balance It, Mercola Meal Mix, It. If not using an added supplement, the following supplements can be ground together and mixed in the recipe after cooling:
• 1 Cenovis® Zinc Tablet (25mg)
• 1 Trace Nutrients or Interclinical Copper Plus tablet (2mg)
• 1 g Iodised salt
• 1 Centrum® Advance Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement
Start by cooking your rice and pumpkin together, heating until soft. Let cool, then mix in your raw ingredients. No need for further baking. This puploaf can be refrigerated for up to three days and leftovers can be safely frozen for up to two weeks.
All the ingredients used in PupLoaf recipes are completely safe for dogs to eat. However, it is still best to consult with your veterinarian before using any of these recipes. Speaking with them can help ensure all of your dog’s nutritional needs are being met.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Re: New Vet approved Home-made diets

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jan 2024, 15:56

A personal tidbit....

I made recipe #1 for my dog and OMG... it's like canine crack cocaine. He went crazy for it.... and what a difference in his poo too!

Also... here is a picture of the feeding guideline chart that is easier to read
food amts.png
food amts.png (31.48 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Post by Kissy1921 » 31 Jan 2024, 08:46

Thanks for these, I feed Molly homecooked all the time. My veterinary nutritionist said to feed 75% protein (5% of which must be organ ie liver)and 25% veg. As long as I add a calcium supplement and feed oily fish twice a week, (if not to add a fish oil supplement and vitamin E supplement) and vary the protein and veg it will balance over time, not to add synthetic vitamins.

Molly thrives on it and the house smells lovely whilst its cooking. Today she has turkey and beef, sweet potato, Turkey hearts, Chicken liver, green beans and cabbage!!

She goes mad for it, what dog wouldn't lol .

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Jan 2024, 11:07

Ahhh.... so you do this too. Dogs sure love it, eh?!!!

It's amazing how easy this is to do, once you get the hang of it... .. i too am varying the veggies and meat.
the only thing i am going to change next time (regarding the calcium matter) is instead of throwing 5 whole eggs (with the egg shells) in the mix and grinding...... next time i will crack open 5 eggs add to the mix , but dry the shells in the oven for a few minutes and then grind the dried egg shells in my coffee grinder..... this pulverizes the shells into a powder and can more thoroughly be distributed in the mix .

Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Post by Kissy1921 » 31 Jan 2024, 11:38

Yes, is so easy, I cook all mine in the crockpot and make enough for 3 days at a time, then on the next batch change things up. If I get bored and fancy cooking I make some every day then freeze into batches .
I can't be bothered with the egg shells cos they are supposed to be free range to ensure no chemicals on the shells, so i use Animal Essentials Seaweed calcium supplement as it also has minerals in it.... job done!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Jan 2024, 18:47

UGH.... i used store bought eggs, but did wash each egg before i used them. However i can get free range eggs 1 street away from me, so that is what i will do.

HOWEVER... i did go on line and looked up "Animal Essentials"
https://animalessentials.com/seaweed-calcium/
here in the USA and Chewy's carries the Seaweed product and a lot of others by Animal Essentials
and they look really good... thanks for the suggestion!!

Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Post by Greyden » 07 Feb 2024, 15:51

Do you feed the homemade pup loaf exclusively or with kibble or just every now and again or ?
Thanks.
We are just getting started and still trying to figure out the food….
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Feb 2024, 16:20

i have been feeding it every day/twice a day... GREAT RESULTS!!!!!!!!!

HOWEVER... i do add some sweet potato and whatever cooked veggies i have left over (broccoli, kale, squash, whatever).... for now i've been also including just a few pieces (lie 1/8 of a cup) of kibble simply because i am trying to finish off the bag of kibble that i have... but once completed... i will not include any kibble.... not needed!
Besides, my dog is approx 55 lbs and he has gained weight on this... so i really need to cut back on something :)

Greyden
State: Idaho
Pet name: Dot
My name: Greyden

Post by Greyden » 07 Feb 2024, 17:24

Weight gain would be a good thing for our Dot. She weighed 64 lbs last spring, now weighs 48. We’d like to get her back to 55-60.
I am assuming you are feeding pretty much according to chart above?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the site and the fast responses! This is such a treasure trove.
Dot is our day blind 3 1/2 year old half Idaho Shag half Australian Cattle Dog. She was diagnosed with EPI in late January 2024. We continue to try to figure out her best protocol.....

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Feb 2024, 17:33

i am actually feeding less than what the chart recommends... but then again, my dog is not overly active, only high energy in short bursts.... and he doesn't require a lot of food...........

SO.... use the chart as a guideline ..... BUT tailor it to your dogs actual needs.