EPI dog can't gain weight

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Germohawk
State: Virginia
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Maggie

Re: EPI dog can't gain weight

Post by Germohawk » 03 Feb 2024, 20:41

Hello Friends, it seems brown rice is the factor that she does not absorb. I stopped giving her brown rice and went back to her regular commercial dog foods. She seems doing better today. I also keep adding Slippery Elm into her food and daily VB12. I'll keep watching and updating.

Thank you all for the help.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 04 Feb 2024, 00:19

It could be the rice or the increase of enzymes. Either way, I am glad to hear you got it sorted. After a couple weeks, if they are still stable, you can try to drop the enzymes if you want to. I know you are worried about side effects and damage from them.

Germohawk

Post by Germohawk » 04 Feb 2024, 02:10

Thank you very much for your reply Jeremy. Her issue is not sorted, I think. Today she started drinking a lot of water, especially after dinner. She seems like always hungry again, and her belly noise also came back. I actually had to take her out to poop just now. It is 2:00am in the morning. I can’t sleep now.

For her food, I give her 3 meals today, for each meal, one cup chicken breast/ salmon + 1 cup blue dog food, I also increase enzymes more, add slippery elm and vb12. I suspect if salmon is the cause of the issue because that’s the new ingredient for her. She usually have chicken breast + carrot (or pumpkin sometimes). I doubt if salmon is too fat for her to digest.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Feb 2024, 09:15

Will you please name the specific Blue dog food? Does it contain grains?

Thanks
Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 04 Feb 2024, 12:09

It could be from switching the food quickly. You are supposed to ween and transition slowly, but I have no idea how we supposed to do that. I am currently going through this as well because my butthead will just get tired of food and stop eating so I have to switch to something else.
If the poop is formed and doesn't have undigested food in it, you are probably dealing with SIDs. The slippery elm and B12 might help. If not you might have to go the tylosin route.
Otherwise, it might be what Jill suggested and maybe has too much grain for what your pup can handle.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Feb 2024, 12:20

hmm... it could be any of the things Jeremy and Jill mentioned..... but when you mentioned how thirsty she is after eating meals.......coupled with the weight loss (although this does not explain the tummy grumbling)...... what i do suggest just to be on the safe side..... is to ask your vet to test for possible diabetes. Even though all the symptoms don't fit.... better safe than sorry.

REgarding the Salmon..... it is a highly fatty fish.... so adding it to the meal could have been a factor especially if she has issues with too much fat.............

Unfortunately, lots of possibilities and the only way to figure it out is exactly what you are doing, trying things (or eliminating them) one at a time, especially if what you might be dealing with is a combo of EPI + IBD (food sensitivities)....

Anyway... jsut thought i would mentioned the diabetes just in case it is a remote possibility.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Germohawk

Post by Germohawk » 05 Feb 2024, 07:52

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your reply. The blue dog food is Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula that I bought from Costco. She has been used this dog food since she was a baby.

jilbert57 wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 09:15 Will you please name the specific Blue dog food? Does it contain grains?

Thanks
Jill

Germohawk

Post by Germohawk » 05 Feb 2024, 08:00

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply.

After a weekend, I figured out couple of factors. First Salmon is definitely a factor. I was worried that her food does not contain fat/oil since I've always give her chicken breast, but salmon seems too fat for her. After I eliminate salmon from her food, no belly noise any more. Second, it maybe the VB12 take effects. I haven't give her B12 for quite a long time (Almost a year). After 2 weeks' supplemental, it is possible that her body got enough B12 and start working. I also give her a little bit more enzymes meanwhile. I got to know that Brown Rice is a big NO for her, carrot may be also NO.

Yesterday she had a play date with her brother. They hiked for almost 3 hours and had great time together. She also had a great sleep yesterday night, I can tell by her pose, no belly noise, thanks god! This morning her poop looks as firm as before.

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 12:09 It could be from switching the food quickly. You are supposed to ween and transition slowly, but I have no idea how we supposed to do that. I am currently going through this as well because my butthead will just get tired of food and stop eating so I have to switch to something else.
If the poop is formed and doesn't have undigested food in it, you are probably dealing with SIDs. The slippery elm and B12 might help. If not you might have to go the tylosin route.
Otherwise, it might be what Jill suggested and maybe has too much grain for what your pup can handle.

Germohawk

Post by Germohawk » 05 Feb 2024, 08:04

Hi Olesia, thank you very much for your reply.

I actually had the same concern as you since I saw she drink so much water in the first time. I had her checked last year with Vet, result looks fine, Vet said it could be the enzymes that she uses. I am gonna get her checked very soon this year, I'll make sure vet check the diabetes related.
Olesia711 wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 12:20 hmm... it could be any of the things Jeremy and Jill mentioned..... but when you mentioned how thirsty she is after eating meals.......coupled with the weight loss (although this does not explain the tummy grumbling)...... what i do suggest just to be on the safe side..... is to ask your vet to test for possible diabetes. Even though all the symptoms don't fit.... better safe than sorry.

REgarding the Salmon..... it is a highly fatty fish.... so adding it to the meal could have been a factor especially if she has issues with too much fat.............

Unfortunately, lots of possibilities and the only way to figure it out is exactly what you are doing, trying things (or eliminating them) one at a time, especially if what you might be dealing with is a combo of EPI + IBD (food sensitivities)....

Anyway... jsut thought i would mentioned the diabetes just in case it is a remote possibility.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Feb 2024, 10:44

Hi Maggie, glad to hear you will be re-checking for possible diabetes. Even thou it sounds like just a remote possibility, it is better to be safe than sorry..........

what enzymes are you using? (my apologies if you mentioned this already)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........