Tylan..... soft poo again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Tylan..... soft poo again

Post by Kissy1921 » 02 Feb 2024, 06:09

Morning all,

Molly has been on Tylan powder since 16th January, just over 2 weeks and her poos have been perfect, but the last couple of days her poo has started to get softer, until this morning it was like porridge. It is normal dark colour, not heaps and heaps of it as it was before, but am just slightly concerned?

Am I dosing too much, not enough? Haven't a clue, nothing else has changed, just softer poos again.

She is currently in season so wonder if it could be that or something else?

She weighs 35 kg and has 1/4 spoonful twice a day mixed in with breakfast and supper.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Tylan..... soft poo again

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 02 Feb 2024, 09:42

You are giving the correct dose. What does happen sometimes, is after a couple weeks the poos start to back slide. As far as we know; it's just the yuck shaking lose from their intestines. It should go away in a day or two.
If it doesn't you might be dealing with food intolerance or a conflict of food vs enzymes. A pinch more of enzymes could also help.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Feb 2024, 09:48

Looks to me like you need to increase the dose a tad by the doses under the chart. Maybe by 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon.

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate) Dosage Guide

13kg/30 lb – 1/8 tsp
27kg/60 lb – 1/4 tsp
41kg/90 lb – 3/8 tsp
54kg/120 lb – 1/2 tsp
twice per day

Your pup falls in between 1/4 - 3/8 teaspoon at 77lbs.

How is the B12?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 02 Feb 2024, 09:56

Your pup falls in between 1/4 - 3/8 teaspoon at 77lbs.

How is the B12?

Jill
Thanks Jill, I did wonder if it was worth increasing slightly. She is on B12 with Intrisic factor by Chemeyes, has always been on two capsules a day, I have learnt that if ever i stop these or lower the amount it is instant squirty poo lol
You are giving the correct dose. What does happen sometimes, is after a couple weeks the poos start to back slide. As far as we know; it's just the yuck shaking lose from their intestines. It should go away in a day or two.
Thanks,will give it a couple of days and see it it tapers off, if not will firstly increase very slightly as Jill suggests or look at enzymes/food.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Feb 2024, 10:38

i agree... slightly increase the Tylan.

However.... if this continues for quite a while.... and if the poo is loose but brown ... it might be a that something in the diet no longer agrees with her.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 02 Feb 2024, 10:51

Thanks....her diet hasn't changed she is on homecooked but as you say it could be something that all of a sudden doesn't agree.

Its not epi poo...she only goes once a day and is a small amount...normal brown but she is also in season and cleaning herself a LOT....sometimes she gets squiity soft poo with her season.

Will slightly increase the tylan and see what happens.

Dawn x

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Feb 2024, 11:02

hi Dawn.... hopefully slightly increasing the Tylan will help....... i get so frustrated when everything is going along jsut fine and then all of a sudden an ingredient that agreed with them in the past no longer agrees with them.... that is SO darn frustrating.

Hopefully it is just her season that might be putting her body into a little stress............that will pass.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 02 Feb 2024, 11:09

Yes annoying lol.

She has been fine for a whole year..
This is the same as this time last year...was feb 2nd 2023 she went to vets diagnosed sibo and 2 weeks of amoxicillin....she was in season then too lol

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Feb 2024, 11:38

paws and fingers crossed this too shall pass :)

Kissy1921

Post by Kissy1921 » 03 Feb 2024, 04:27

Thank you for your advice...you guys certainly know what you're doing, am so grateful.

Upped mollys tylan by 1/16th of a teaspoon twice a day yesterday...today we are back to 3 nice solid dark brown turds...who would have thought that such a tiny amount would make so much difference!

Mind you....when she was weighed was when at the vets last time she had suffered with diarrhea and undigested food in her poo for a week so she probably weighs more than 34kg.....hadn't thought of that lol