Mixed Poo

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
AdleyMom
State: Maryland
Pet name: Adley
My name: Kristen

Mixed Poo

Post by AdleyMom » 09 Feb 2024, 07:47

My 8 month old GSD was diagnosed with EPI in November. She has been improving steadily since then. She is currently eating 1 1/2 cups of Royal Canin Medium Dog Dry Kibble with 1 1/2 tsp of EnzymeDiane 6X powder 3 times a day (incubated 20 min.). She also gets 1 Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12 supplement with breakfast. She has been doing great! BUT - of course the BUT! Recently she has been having mixed poos. One turd completely normal, one soft turd and to top it of runny diarrhea. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Mixed Poo

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Feb 2024, 09:16

Good morning Kristen,
have you heard any tummy rumblings or excess gas, burping?
It could be SID(small intestinal dysbiosis) which is an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the small intestine.
You might want to try adding Slippery Elm to the diet twice a day to see if it helps. Is your pup on a prebiotic at all?
Here is information on Slippery elm and SID:

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

And welcome to the forum!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Feb 2024, 12:03

Hi and thanks for asking.

I agree... it sounds like SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis is getting a little out of control...... so i would introduce a prebiotic and if that doesn't work, try a pre+probiotic. Usually if you normally see decent poos but then the next batch ... if you will :) .... start getting sloppy..... it often means that there is not enough good bacteria and variety of bacteria to properly process the all remains that are being eliminated (poo).....

IN the end, you might need to re-examine the current diet and change the composition a bit.. or.... try adding a pinch more enzymes.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

AdleyMom
State: Maryland
Pet name: Adley
My name: Kristen

Post by AdleyMom » 10 Feb 2024, 11:01

I really appreciate the advice! Yes - occasional burps and rumblings. I will try adding the slippery elm. This is the first time I posted - but you all were the ones that helped us get Adley stable as our vet was not flexible or willing to work with us to help us establish a sensible solution that worked for our puppy. Her recommendations didn't work and it is your site that helps us turn Adley around. I am so thankful for your wisdom and for your willingness to share it with all of us who unexpectedly joined you on this journey. Definitely not what we expected with our 4 month old puppy. But we're making it work and taking it one day at a time. Never thought I'd care so much about dog poop. LOL!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Feb 2024, 11:05

Thank you for the kind words!
Glad we can be of help.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Feb 2024, 15:55

i too appreciate the kind words.

There is another possible solution suggestion, Tylan antibiotic powder- -if none of the suggestions we suggested work at all .... BUT.... since Adley is such a young dog, i strongly advise you to try everything else that you possibly can before asking the vet for antibiotics.....even if Tylan is the best of the best for SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis and it does not kill all the bacteria in the gut like many of the other anti's... you still want to avoid using unless you have to...... just saying.

So please do keep us posted so that we can hopefully help Adley achieve good poos :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........