Best Dog Food Suggestions that work For EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bonnie's
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Odin
My name: Bonnie

Re: Best Dog Food Suggestions that work For EPI

Post by Bonnie's » 28 Feb 2024, 15:20

Thank you Jane, I'm very skeptical of grain free foods as our last Golden died of DCM because of that very reason. We had him on a grain free lamb formula because of allergies to beef and chicken. Such a fine line. Also very good to know that Merrick is made by Purina, I had no idea.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 28 Feb 2024, 15:32

The current thinking about DCM, not that I'm an expert...other people can probably point you to research, is that the "problem" with grain-free foods wasn't that they didn't have grain, it was that the grain was replaced by other things such as peas and that taurine (now added to most dog foods) was lacking. There are a couple of sections on this website regarding grain free diets that might be helpful. However, if you want to avoid grain-free foods, the Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie and Ancient Stream both have grain and 3% fiber.

Bonnie's

Post by Bonnie's » 28 Feb 2024, 15:57

Hi Jane, I'm aware that lack of Taurine led to DCM so I check for it's presence in the ingredient list. I'll look into a few grain free as long as they haven't any peas or beans and contain the needed Taurine then. I'd like to try the Taste of Wild that a few of you have mentioned but now along with Olesia's comment and quite of few consumer complaints regarding a lot of dogs getting sick from this brand, I'm quite leery. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 28 Feb 2024, 16:11

No problem. Honestly, the only reason I recommended TOTW is because it is relatively inexpensive and I don't know of any other inexpensive foods that meet the suggestions for EPI. It wouldn't be top of my list for foods, and I don't feed it to any of my current dogs. I'll keep an eye out for other inexpensive foods that look good for EPI, with or without grains.

Bonnie's

Post by Bonnie's » 28 Feb 2024, 16:51

That's great Jane, I very much appreciate you doing so. Hopefully some other EPI pet parents will advise what dog food works well for their dogs.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 28 Feb 2024, 17:05

The thing about grain is; some dogs have an issue with the grain basically reducing the efficacy of the enzymes. You can compensate with giving increased enzymes. You will have to experiment to see how much extra will have to be given, as each dog is different.

Bonnie's

Post by Bonnie's » 28 Feb 2024, 17:58

I have played with slightly increasing his enzymes but that actually makes his condition worse, that too is a very fine line. I'll continue to look into finding a grain free option, hopefully without peas and beans, which sadly seems to be a very tall order.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2024, 18:22

here is an interesting visual of who produces what dogs foods..... the overlaps are quite interesting:
Attachments
brands enlarged.png
brands enlarged.png (354.54 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 28 Feb 2024, 18:34

What a great resource! Thanks, Olesia!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2024, 18:39

interesting, eh?!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........