Linoleic acid and Taurine

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
daizyduh911
State: California
Pet name: Kai
My name: Daisy

Linoleic acid and Taurine

Post by daizyduh911 » 13 Feb 2024, 16:39

I never know how to start these threads so I'll just dive in.
Kai is about to be 4 yrs old next month for now she seems to be stable with her current food which is home cooked by me and is the following attachment and I will type at the bottom as well with the added things that are not on the recipe.
Kai Recipe.jpg
Kai Recipe.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 507 times
THIS IS ALL BROKEN DOWN IN 3 MEALS DAILY
830g sweet potato(baked with skin but weighed post baked without skin)
560g Tilapia (weighed pre baked or boil)
2 3/4 tsp Balance It carnivore blend
1 capsule proviable probiotic in the morning(sprinkled on her food and mixed in)
2 Proin ( 1 breakfast and 1 dinner)
1 tsp Nordic Naturals Omega 3-pet (fish oil)
1 B12 pill every other day
1 tsp pancreatic enzymes per meal Epizyme brand (really want to switch brand because this has gotten really pricey)
Kai was diagnosed with EPI last year at the end of March. And I opted to see a nutritionist and cook her food rather than kibble because we always had issues with kibble. From her first meal plan corn oil was suggested and after a huge set back in October 2023 corn oil doesn't seem to work nor the rice which is why now she has sweet potato (thanks to you guys) It was suggested I try to reintroduce corn oil again, but it just doesn't work (she gets the runs) and now I am told to do Walnut oil and Taurine powder. Both of which I haven't started. Walnut oil is ment to replace the corn oil for linoleic acid so the amount would be the same and Taurine is to avoid heart issues. Has anyone used walnut oil? And any success? anyone use taurine powder?
I want to add that sweet potato has been truly so successful for her and has had solid poos since I was suggested that here on a different thread. I am forever thankful.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Linoleic acid and Taurine

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Feb 2024, 17:13

Don't know much about tilapia but found this:

Tilapia. Freshwater fish are high in taurine as well. Tilapia's dark muscle has about 972 milligrams for a 150-gram filet, while the white meat has less than 120 milligrams. There's also the dark meat from carp with 868 milligrams and catfish with almost 700 milligrams for the same serving.

You could use flaxseed oil for linoleic acid too.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 13 Feb 2024, 17:18

I have not used walnut oil, but sometimes when introducing oils or supplements it can cause the runs. This might be temporary as they get use to it. If you are using the oil for linoleic acid, I would use sunflower oil. It has a slightly higher linoleic acid footprint, so you might be able to get away with less.
I have not tried taurine powder. His food does have taurine in it so I know it is safe for dogs. It does seem like this is popping up more as of late. Just start low and work your way up to the recommended amount.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Feb 2024, 18:33

it appears that sunflower oil is fairly close in % of linoleic acid to corn oil (just a little higher like Jeremy suggested) and used in many dog food products .

However, i am wondering..... does the "balance it" cover any bone matter?

have you tried other home-made recipes?
I am currently making all homemade for my dog, called a PupLoaf, and what i really like about this recipe is that i do not have to add any supplements cause everything is included that a dog needs...... the only thing i do is add sweet potato and additional cooked broccoli, squash or green stringbeans.

#1 HOMEMADE PUP LOAF

Ingredients:

3 pounds beef (90% lean)
8 ounces beef heart
5 ounces beef liver
20 ounces chicken gizzards
3 cans sardines in water, minus the juice (no salt)
6 ounces mussels (3 teaspoons kelp could replace the mussels for trace minerals)
2 teaspoons ground fresh ginger
5 eggs with shell
3 ounces red bell pepper
5 ounces mixed dark leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach)
4 ounces broccoli
6 ounces butternut squash
3 tablespoons flax seed oil (or coconut oil)
4 ounces cranberries
4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms

Grind and mix all ingredients together.
Pour into loaf, casserole, or muffin pans.
Bake at 325 for 30 to 60 minutes depending on size of pan; should be lightly done, not overcooked (juicy in the center). If your pet has a beef or chicken allergy, turkey can be substituted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

daizyduh911
Pet name: Kai
My name: Daisy

Post by daizyduh911 » 16 Feb 2024, 16:57

Thank you all for your respones. We will be starting Taurine is this weekend and the walnut oil next weekend. @Olesia I havent tried any other recipes because her previous on with rice and tilapia semi-stabled her then it all got disrupted for a couple of months and finally the substitution of sweet potato instead of rice as well as the removal of corn oil has her stable now. I might try that recipe you typed out in a couple months. thank you again!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Feb 2024, 19:28

Hi Daisy,

So glad to hear that Kai is back to being stable again after you took out the corn oil and changed the rice to sweet potato .

And yes, as long as she is stable stay the course for now.... maybe someday try the other recipe :)

In the meantime, thanks for the update and please do keep us posted
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Post by Kissy1921 » 19 Feb 2024, 07:29

Sorry to but in here, but Balance It is full of synthetic vitamins and my nutritionist told me to stop using it, she gave me a recipe that works well for my girl, we have been feeding it for over a year and she is doing fabulous on it.

I add lightly cooked beef or chicken hearts to the homecooked as they are both a natural source of taurine, 5% of her total meal.

The recipe my nutritionist gave me is as follows:

65% protein ie meat, eggs, fish, ensure not to fatty, ie for beef I use 5% fat max only.
5% heart
5% liver
25% vegetables - i use butternut squash, cabbage, broccoli, green beans etc but the list is endless.

You do not need to add any synthetic vitamins as long as you vary the protein and veg source, it will balance over time.
Feed oily fish ie sardines, mackerel or salmon twice a week, if not then add fish oil and vitamin e supplement.

A calcium source must be added I use Animal Essentials Seaweed calcium powder.

This diet works so well, I am currently doing my course and registering to make and sell homecooked dog food to the local pet store as so many people are asking me what I feed my girl .

If you change anything though so it slowly over a few weeks.............. we took a month to transition from canned food and kibble and she managed perfectly. Her coat is amazing, she has so much more energy and our vet is super pleased!

Good luck

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Feb 2024, 11:51

hi Dawn,

I too found out that one does not have to add commercial supplements IF (but this is a BIG "if") you are feeding proper amount and the right kind of ingredients.

BUtternut Squash is one of the top squashes you can feed a dog.... and OMG..... Beef heart is the best organ meat...but again.... all in proper amounts.

The ratio suggested sounds good to me....however... what i do for bone matter when i make the food (that i lightly bake at 325) is that i grind dried egg shells in a coffee grinder so that it becomes a powder..... that i add to my mix of food. I also add cans of salt free sardines packed in water (drained) in combination with a meat protein.

65% protein ie meat, eggs, fish, ensure not to fatty, ie for beef I use 5% fat max only.
5% heart
5% liver
25% vegetables - i use butternut squash, cabbage, broccoli, green beans etc but the list is endless.

Kissy1921
Pet name: Molly
My name: Dawn

Post by Kissy1921 » 19 Feb 2024, 11:56

Hi Olesia,

What you are feeding sounds great to me too!
I can't feed eggshells as the only eggs we can get around here are commercial ones and they are sprayed with chemicals, not ideal for dogs. Maybe we should get some chickens and have our own egg supply................ shh................. don't tell hubby lol .

Dawn x

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Feb 2024, 12:02

yea, we are lucky, we have access to farm fresh, free range eggs :)

But what i also do, is purchase chicken necks and bake at low temp and not comletely....so the bone are not over done and brittle.... and Cody gets 1 chicken neck once a day.. i break it into small pieces (just because i still worry) and he LOVES it...........

My husband and my neighbors all laugh at me and claim that my dog eats MUCH better than they do........... hahahaha!