Lab work

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ditexas
State: Texas
Pet name: Houston
My name: Diane

Lab work

Post by Ditexas » 15 Feb 2024, 21:26

Hi,

I am new to the forum. My GS, Houston will be two in March and is having lab work done Saturday for EPI. How long does it normally take to get the results in? I have been googling and get such a broad range of time frames. Thank you so much for any information.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Lab work

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Feb 2024, 21:29

Hi Diane,

results usually takes a week :)

Keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

betterwound
Pet name: mike

Post by betterwound » 22 Feb 2024, 02:25

Ditexas wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 21:26 Hi,

I am new to the forum. My GS, Houston will be two in March and is having lab work done Saturday for EPI. How long does it normally take to get the results in? I have been googling and get such a broad range of time frames. Thank you so much for any information.doodle jump
It only takes about 1 week, my friend. Before, it took me from 1 week to 1 week and a half to get results

veuhasa
State: Idaho
Pet name: sa
My name: saea

Post by veuhasa » 27 Feb 2024, 02:32

It only takes about 1 week, my friend. Before, it took me from 1 week to 1 week and a half to get resultsgeometry dash subzero
That's right, I just did it and it took literally 1 week to get results.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 27 Feb 2024, 11:32

It's been almost two weeks. Did you get the results?

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 03 Mar 2024, 09:27

Hi y'all,

I want to thank y'all for being so kind with your information. Houston got her lab results back from A&M it took about 5 days. She does have EPI. She started her once weekly B12 injections (they think she will be taking those for about 3 months) and is taking PancreVed powder with each meal. I am adding the powder to moist food, stirring well and letting it sit per the vet 15-20 minutes before she eats.
We go back in six weeks to check her folate and B12 levels. The doctor said I should notice a difference within a week.

She will be two years on the 30th of this month, never any health issues. I cannot believe how much weight she lost so rapidly. She is 70 lbs. In August she was 95 pounds. How long did it take for y'alls dogs to start gaining their weight back?

Again, I am really thankful to have found this site and for y'alls information and caring hearts. Be blessed!!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Mar 2024, 09:49

Hi Diane,
Sorry your pup was diagnosed with Epi but now you know what tou are dealing with.
Will you please post the lab results?
Once the 4 cornerstones of Epi are addressed,
Enzymes
Diet
Antibiotic for SID
B12
as soon as all 4 are implemented and your pup is actually getting nutrition from food the weight should start to go back on. Please be sure to use the food amount for the weight your dog should be and spread it out to 3 meals for awhile, one being before bed.
All food and treats from now on need to be treated with enzymes. Enzymes in this case are not a supplement but a life saving necessity.
Each animal gains weight at a different pace.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 03 Mar 2024, 10:44

Hi Jill,

Thank you so much for the info. They did give her a round of antibiotics and they had changed her food to Hills Science Diet Biome which helped immediately, so they wanted to keep her on that for now since she was doing so well with it. The excessive stools stopped instantly, and she was able to maintain on weight. Throughout this she has been on the recommended food amount for what should be her normal weight, they kept her on her current a.m./ p.m. feeding.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Mar 2024, 11:12

Thank you for confirming those things for me. Looks like things are being addressed. Now hopefully some weight gain will take place!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Mar 2024, 11:25

when they recheck the B12... hopefully it will be in the upper mid-range.... we like to suggest upper 500's-600's.... and anything higher i great....
BUT..... since EPI is a chronic condition, even if the new B12 levels are great...... work with your vet to figure out what a "maintenance" dose of B12 should/could be going forward.... as you will not want to stop the B12 completely since, as mentioned, EPI is a chronic condition.

With regards to the weight, some start to gain weight within a few weeks, others take a few months.... and then a few may even take a few years.... it all depends on the individual EPI dog .
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........