At a Loss

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
bethmlambert22
State: Texas
Pet name: Riker
My name: Beth

At a Loss

Post by bethmlambert22 » 20 Feb 2024, 17:10

Hello everyone,

I am a long-time lurker and first-time poster. My GSD, Riker, was diagnosed with EPI in August 2023, and it was a stressful as well as a bit scary road to his initial diagnosis. I cannot thank this website and forum enough for all the insight and wisdom shared, as stumbling upon Epi4Dogs allowed me to advocate for Riker at his vet and get him the proper testing, etc that led to his diagnosis w/ EPI.

Once we started enzymes, his weight gain and general recovery were amazing! Unfortunately, over the last month or so he seems to have destabilized. His bowel movements have progressed from formed and dark brown to cow patty/light brown again. It's been pretty distressing. Luckily, he is not losing weight and is still having 2-3 poops/day (his baseline at stabilization). The quality of the poops though, are just terrible.

I am hoping for some feedback on his current diet/supplement regimen to see if there is anything I can modify to try to stabilize him again.

Fed 3x/day: Farmina ND Prime (Boar and apple)
Slippery elm: originally was given as needed for runny poops, but is now daily (.5 scoop of WonderLabs with 3rd meal)
Proviable probiotic: new addition over the last week (1 capsule emptied into 3rd meal)_
Wonder Labs B12: 1 capsule emptied on food w/ 3rd meal

I know it is likely a matter of playing around with this until I figure out the right combo, but any guidance is very very welcomed!!
Thank you!
Beth

bethmlambert22

Re: At a Loss

Post by bethmlambert22 » 20 Feb 2024, 17:14

Oh and of course! He has 1.5 tsp Enzyme Diane w/ 1.5 cups of food at each meal. Silly me- the most important part of his diet!

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 20 Feb 2024, 17:57

If slippery elm isn't working out, it might be time to try Tylan (Tylsoin). You have already tried probiotics. You might also want to try increasing the enzymes by 1/8-1/4th teaspoon. Sometimes, they just need more enzymes.
Though in order to help a little bit better. May we have their current weight?

bethmlambert22

Post by bethmlambert22 » 20 Feb 2024, 18:10

Of course! Riker is currently 83lbs.

Eddiespaghetti

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 20 Feb 2024, 18:42

Awesome. You can try to increase the slippery elm to one scoop. That is the recommended amount for a dog that size. Riker might just more of it to coat their GI tract.
It is most likely from the SIDs getting out of control. It does happen from time to time.
The common options are slippery elm, pre/probiotics, and Tylan powder. You have tried most of those except the Tylan. You can try to increase the slippery elm or speak to your vet and Tylan powder.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Feb 2024, 19:53

Hi Beth,
Jeremy gave you some great suggestions..... and i too suspect that this is SID/SIBO/Dysbiosis that got out of control.

All the suggestions are great, but remember to try things one-at-a-time... so.... the first thing i would do is
1. try increasing the slippery elm.... give it a few days to assess, if it improves things or makes things worse..... if it doesn't help.... then
2. try stopping the slippery elm
3. if stopping the slippery elm makes things worse, then go back to using it, but next try increasing the enzymes by 1/8 tsp.
4. if increasing the enzymes help but not completely.... then slightly increase the enzymes even a pinch more.
5. if increasing the enzymes doesn't help, then ask your vet to prescribe Tylan. 1/4 tsp twice a day/45 days with meals (just don't mix in the meals to start with.... pour the designated Tylan powder into empty gel caps.....
6. if the stools get sloppy again, then that would indicate that the food is not optimal and some ingredient in it is setting him off....is it the canned food that you are feeding him?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eddiespaghetti

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 21 Feb 2024, 00:02

While Olesia is absolutely correct with the suggestions. I, personally, don't like waiting that long when it comes to their poop. I would go straight to trying to get tylosin. The choice is 100 percent yours of course. Just saying what I would do. Get the poop stable then experiment.

betterwound
Pet name: mike

Post by betterwound » 21 Feb 2024, 03:03

Can you share with me how to care for a pet with EPI and what diet is appropriate?

geometry dash scratch

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 21 Feb 2024, 08:57

Is it possible he's picked up a parasite?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

bethmlambert22

Post by bethmlambert22 » 21 Feb 2024, 13:26

Thank you for all of the feedback everyone!

Olesia- he is eating the dry Farmina ND Prime line. Thank you so much for the detailed advice, so helpful!

Jeremy- appreciate the suggestions. I've reached out to his vet to see if I can get him some Tylan, even to have on hand if he is not getting better.

I do think I was hoping for a quick fix- especially with how fast his initial recovery was once he was started on enzymes after his initial EPI diagnosis. But, I agree, one change at a time. I will keep everyone updated. Fingers crossed!