Levi-9 month old golden retriever (home from ER/ICU 3 days)

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Re: Levi-9 month old golden retriever (home from ER/ICU 3 days)

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 09 Mar 2024, 21:25

You can do either. I know you can probably get alligator meat in America and cook it or feed it raw. You might be able to use that instead of the wet food? While EPI is miserable, if there is a time to deal with it, it's now. The options have never been this abundant. Maybe, hopefully if you replace some of the wet food the lower amount of peas in the kibble might be under the threshold of what they can handle?
You should be able to open the Creon capsule dump about half out and push it closed. You could also switch to a different kind. Enzyme Diane is pretty beloved here and comes in a powder. Which can be easily adjusted. If you do want to switch I think enzyme Diane sells a small sample pack for like 27 dollars. It's only 50 grams but you might want to make sure they tolerate it before buying a bunch. I don't know if Levi can handle it, which their allergies. Eddie started taking selegiline and that is what we do. We open one capsule dump about half in and close it up and put it away for the next day. You could also reduce the food a little instead of increasing the enzymes. I am not sure if it is the issue or not, but sometimes when Eddie has/had difficulty digesting something that is what we did. Whole green beans has been by far the worst. They would come out the exact same shape they went in. Until we increased the enzymes a little. The bright side about the enzymes is; unless you are giving way way too much some extra won't hurt. I am under the go ham on enzymes get them stable then adjust.

Dan_L
State: Florida
Pet name: Jaxson
My name: Dan

Post by Dan_L » 10 Mar 2024, 06:56

LisaDorn2024 wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:09 I know pet stores sell rabbit, kangaroo an bison, but are you talking about feeding him the real meat from the animal? Where would I buy exotic meats - do they have them online that are from reputable sources?
Lisa - If you do decide to go with some form of exotic meat for your baby you may want to take a look at Wild Fork Foods. They carry a decent variety of meats as well as some of the exotic type that they list as “speciality” meats. They claim to ship to anywhere in the US and they do ship frozen and packed in dry ice.

Just a possible option for you to consider if this is a path you want to explore. The website is:
https://wildforkfoods.com/

Specialty meats are here:
https://wildforkfoods.com/collections/specialty-meats/

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Mar 2024, 13:13

thanks Dan.... i LOVE Wild Forks.. and have recommended them to Lisa in a private email.... but i really appreciate you posting about it to help others who might be looking for an odd source of meat.

My current dog does not have EPI... but i do make his own food and purchase Beef Heart from Wild FOrks and they have excellent quality and their prices are really really good too!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

LisaDorn2024
State: Utah
Pet name: Levi
My name: Lisa Dorn

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 10 Mar 2024, 13:45

Thank you, Dan. This sounds like a great resource. I hope Levi will be able to get back to eating real foods again and I know trying these exotic meats are probably his best chance at reintroducing animal protein. I truly appreciate you positing the links.

I see you live in Florida. I used to live on St Simons Island in Georgia and am planning a move back to the South as soon as Levi is stabilized. I have some favorite places in Florida that I am considering as I am beach person who has been stuck in the desert for the past 4 years. I need to live near the ocean and I want Levi to get to experience the beach, too. He was born a natural swimmer and I can't keep him out of the water. Where in Florida do you live and do you have access to good animal resources and vet care? Are there places you would recommend and places to avoid? If you prefer to private message me that would be great. I am also looking at South Carolina. Vet care in St. George UT is minimal and its why Levi had to be hospitalized in another state. I need to live where I can access medical care for Levi when he needs it.

Thank you for sharing the information about Wild Forks!

Dan_L
State: Florida
Pet name: Jaxson
My name: Dan

Post by Dan_L » 10 Mar 2024, 14:23

LisaDorn2024 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:45 If you prefer to private message me that would be great.
PM sent