Quick question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ditexas
State: Texas
Pet name: Houston
My name: Diane

Quick question

Post by Ditexas » 14 Mar 2024, 17:05

Hi y'all,

Hope everyone is doing well. Houston continues to improve. Oh my gosh....she looks like a different dog! She is definitely gaining weight and I am soooo thankful. Saturday will be her third B12 injection as well as being on enzymes. She has been pooping solid, I am walking around the yard with her like the poop patrol to make sure everything is going well. She just went and it was solid but had a lighter brown color mixed in with the dark on this bm. She is strictly on her Hills Science Biome and nothing else. After what all she has been through I am just trying to be as alert/cautious as I can.

Thank y'all in advance.

Diane

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Quick question

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Mar 2024, 17:41

I think sometimes some new poop comes out at the same time as old poop, and they may look a little different. A possibility, since you are sure of her diet. Good for you, being vigilant.

If she becomes gassy, has a rumbling tummy, or if her poo softens a bit, you will want to check out the SID page, or check back with the forum for advice. Some people like to go ahead and buy a bottle of slippery elm, which is the first line of defense against SID. EPI dogs tend to get this, but it is manageable, too.

Getting EPI under control may have some ups & downs along the way, so it's always good to have things written down. That way, you can go back & try to put the puzzle together more easily.

I hope this helps. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Mar 2024, 17:50

Hey Diane---

I just went back & skimmed over your notes, and I wonder if you know this...you probably do, but it's important, so---

You should be feeding 150% the amount of food that you would feed Houston when she weighed 95 pounds. So, if at 95 pounds her daily recommended feeding was 5 cups, you want to feed 7 1/2 cups daily., divided among two or more meals, with the appropriate measured amount of enzymes.

I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to make sure. Good job with everything!

---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 14 Mar 2024, 21:17

Noooooo, I didn't know about feeding her that - they didn't tell me to do that! They just said her regular amount. Wow. I had no idea Pam. I appreciate the info. I have just been split feeding the five cups. Oh, she soooo won't mind getting more food. What is the reason in adding the extra? I am a teacher and she has been eating before I go to school and dropping her off at doggie daycare. She eats her night meal around 5:30 after picking her up.

Appreciate the info!

Diane

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 14 Mar 2024, 21:39

Oh my gosh....since she is feeling better....I have another question....today has been a day....She has been wanting more food - like 3 hours after first meal she was sitting right in front of where I prepared it...and as I was typing she went and again letting me know she wants food. I mixed up a bowl and have the timer going for the enzymes to do their thing. Do you think since she is feeling better/gaining weight....her body is just needing it now? This is the first day she has done this....

Thank you

Diane

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 15 Mar 2024, 03:14

They need extra to help replenish all the muscle and fat they lost during the figuring out EPI period. Plus, some EPI dogs just need more food. We recommend 150 percent because it's a good starting point. You can adjust later depending on what you see.
She might be more into food for a lot of reasons. The most common I can think of are; B12 levels are finally in the good zone. Eating doesn't make her sick anymore.
There are some options you can try if her begging for food gets to be a problem for you. As for now, if she is gaining weight, you don't have to do anything different.

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 15 Mar 2024, 11:50

Thank you Eddie. I appreciate it. Taking all this in - my hat is off to y'all for all your assistance! Much appreciated!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Mar 2024, 14:45

Ditexas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:17 Noooooo, I didn't know about feeding her that - they didn't tell me to do that! They just said her regular amount. Wow. I had no idea Pam. I appreciate the info. I have just been split feeding the five cups. Oh, she soooo won't mind getting more food. What is the reason in adding the extra? I am a teacher and she has been eating before I go to school and dropping her off at doggie daycare. She eats her night meal around 5:30 after picking her up.

Appreciate the info!

Diane
It's to make her gain weight. Just break it into as many meals as you can. I'm a teacher, too. At the end, I had Tucker eating at 6:30 am & pm. As was already said, just watch his size, and if you think he's getting fat (which is a very good feeling!), start tapering off to the recommended amount. Tucker was always too skinny, and it wasn't until all those super classic symptoms began, that we realized what was up. Without feeling guilty, we need to remember that before we figured things out, our pups were literally starving. Take Care! --- Pam

Ditexas

Post by Ditexas » 15 Mar 2024, 14:57

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much. Ohhhh this has been an experience. She just looks like she is on her way back to being her. I appreciate all y'alls help.

Pam, I am ready for summer break, how about you? LOL....Spring break has just flown by.