What to do if EPI dog refuses to eat?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
LisaDorn2024
State: Utah
Pet name: Levi
My name: Lisa Dorn

What to do if EPI dog refuses to eat?

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 14 Mar 2024, 21:51

Levi refused to eat his dinner tonight and it had ALL of his medications mixed in it. Do I prepare him another dinner in an hour or two, or do I wait and feed him at breakfast? He has not eaten since 1:30 pm today which was his lunch.

Prior to his hospitalization, Levi would go on hunger strikes that lasted for days sometimes. Usually he refused to eat when he was becoming allergic to a new protein source. Sometimes he would not eat due to nausea or abdominal pain.

He is not responding to any of the EPI medications because of his other health conditions: lymphoplasmacytic infiltrates and eosinophilic enteritis are the two causing him the most trouble right now. I did give him a Cerenia injection in case he was nauseous and to prevent non-stop vomiting that can go on for hours.

Since Levi and I are new to EPI, I don't know if he can skip meals and his medications. Please advise. Thank you.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: What to do if EPI dog refuses to eat?

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Mar 2024, 23:05

I am sorry Levi doesn't want to eat. It is not a good feeling for sure.
So Epi medication- do you mean his enzymes? If he isn't eating food he doesn't need enzymes.
What else is he taking, B12?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 14 Mar 2024, 23:19

Hi Jill,
Levi takes the following medications at dinner:
1/4 tsp Tylan
10 mg. of Prednisone
20 mg of Omeprazole
1/2 tsp slippery elm
3 Creon capsules (I know he doesn't need the Creon if he doesn't eat - he is going to have to start earning an allowance if he wants to waste Creon at $15 per meal. LOL)

I feel like he needs to eat something, but his stomach/abdomen are so bloated and there's lots of rumbling , but no gas. He has lost so much weight and is so fragile I feel like he cannot afford to miss a meal. His behavior was really irritable tonight so I know his gut is really off.

I did give him a Cerenia injection around 7:30 pm in case he was feeling nauseous. Did not want the vomiting to start.

Levi has 2 other more serious intestinal diagnoses than the EPI and I know he is in a lot of pain.

He has not eaten since 1:30 pm and will not get breakfast until around 9:00 am. That will be almost 20 hours without eating.

Can EPI dogs go that long without eating and getting their medications?

Thank you,
Lisa

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 15 Mar 2024, 03:29

If puppos don't eat they really shouldn't get prednisone either. It can wreck havoc on an empty stomach. What you could try is cutting back each feeding until they eat all their meals. Eddie does this a lot and we are consistently changing how much we feed him per meal in order to get him to eat when it has his medication in it. Having them more active is also an option but that isn't always easy especially when trying to get everything dialed in.
When you say the stomach/abdomen is bloated. I need to ask if their back is hunched downward? If it is you might be dealing with false Cushing's. It's from the Prednisone. It could also be Cushing's disease. It usually makes them more hungry, but if they aren't feeling well overall they won't want to eat. Some dogs are really suspectable to the side effects of Prednisone and others can be on it for years and you wouldn't know. It will have other symptoms too. Thining skin and hair loss are the most common. Melatonin is a good at home remedy to help alleviate the side effects of prednisone.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 15 Mar 2024, 09:43

So sorry to read of your problems. I know nothing of the concurrent conditions, but are they something to do with the bloat? My dog had developed fluid in the abdomen and chest cavity, in her case it was PLE, protein losing enteropathy, which showed the fluid build up on a scan. If all this is pressing on the guts, stomach or other organs and the heart, it is a vet situation to check everything out, as you doubtless know. Whatever the cause, call your vet because they have the medical history.
Incidentally, my dog was treated successfully with pred.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 15 Mar 2024, 12:57

HI Patsy,
Thank you for your response. Levi's other conditions do not have anything to do with bloat (that I know of) but I will ask his veterinarian at our Monday appt. His stomach and abdomen fill up with gas and you can hear the rumbling. He often passes very foul smelling gas, but not last night.
Thank you so much!

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 15 Mar 2024, 13:05

Eddiespaghetti wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 03:29 If puppos don't eat they really shouldn't get prednisone either. It can wreck havoc on an empty stomach. What you could try is cutting back each feeding until they eat all their meals. Eddie does this a lot and we are consistently changing how much we feed him per meal in order to get him to eat when it has his medication in it. Having them more active is also an option but that isn't always easy especially when trying to get everything dialed in.
When you say the stomach/abdomen is bloated. I need to ask if their back is hunched downward? If it is you might be dealing with false Cushing's. It's from the Prednisone. It could also be Cushing's disease. It usually makes them more hungry, but if they aren't feeling well overall they won't want to eat. Some dogs are really suspectable to the side effects of Prednisone and others can be on it for years and you wouldn't know. It will have other symptoms too. Thining skin and hair loss are the most common. Melatonin is a good at home remedy to help alleviate the side effects of prednisone.
Thank you for sharing the information about no prednisone on an empty stomach. But what do you do when you are not supposed to stop the prednisone abruptly? Which is worse?
I did have a golden once who had "atypical Cushings" but his symptoms were so different than what I am experiencing with Levi. I will bring this up to Levi's vet on Monday when we have an appt. I will ask her about the possibility of "false Cushings."

What dose of Melatonin would you give for 10 mg of prednisone b.i.d.? I am hoping we will be changing the prednisone to a different medication on Monday. He is going downhill fast since EPI is the least concerning of all of his diagnoses. I do believe if the lymphoplasmacytic infiltrates and the eosinophiic enteritis could be medially treated appropriately, the EPI could be easily managed.

Thank you for these great ideas to bring to Levi's vet. I appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.
Lisa

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 15 Mar 2024, 13:48

Aaaah…. Rumbling and room-emptying foul farts are classic Sibo/SID. Antibiotics!! Tylan in the US otherwise Oxytetracycline. In Uk. Metrobactin is not advised because of side effects.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

LisaDorn2024

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 15 Mar 2024, 14:16

Patsy wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 13:48 Aaaah…. Rumbling and room-emptying foul farts are classic Sibo/SID. Antibiotics!! Tylan in the US otherwise Oxytetracycline. In Uk. Metrobactin is not advised because of side effects.
Yes, Levi has severe SIBO/SID. That's why he needs to get the Tylan in him, When he does not eat he does not get the Tylan as its mixed in his food. He has now refused to eat last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast. I just went to the vet and was able to pick up some Entyce (appetite stimulant.) Hopefully he will each lunch.

How would I get the Tylan into him if he does not eat? It is a powder with an awful taste.

Thank you.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Mar 2024, 14:21

Put the dose in an empty gel cap and pop it on the way back of his tongue. Then gently hold the muzzle closed until he swallows or follow it with a syringe of food or Entyce.
You can order empty capsules on Amazon or swing by a pharmacy and ask for some.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.