Hard stools

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Kate
State: California
Pet name: Emma
My name: Kate

Hard stools

Post by Kate » 15 Mar 2024, 19:40

Emma has had EPI since December 2022. She was diagnosed in April 2023.
Happily she has done well with treatment.

I have noticed lately that she has pretty hard stools, smaller chunks. Is it possible that it is too much enzyme? Should I just try a bit less?

Otherwise she's good.
Thanks, Kate

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: Hard stools

Post by Montgomery » 15 Mar 2024, 19:47

Is she drinking enough water? Can you encourage her to consume more if needed by freezing water in a kong or adding it to her food, for instance?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Mar 2024, 09:31

Have you recently added new food with bone in it?
As V said please make sure your pup gets enough water.
Is your pup getting daily exercise and play time?
I would add a little plain pumpkin or some leafy greens finely chopped to a meal.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Mar 2024, 10:48

i too would not reduce the enzymes, but rather make sure she is drinking enough water, and maybe add some fresh veggies and fruit to the meals. ALso...as mentioned above, she might be getting too much bone if you changed the diet,,,,,,,
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kate

Post by Kate » 16 Mar 2024, 21:14

Thank you for the advice. Emma's diet consists of Purina pro plan kibble and canned, to that I add cooked turkey or beef, a tablespoon of canned pumpkin, a little frozen spinach and blueberries.
No added bone. I do add a fair amount of water to the mix. She gets a squirt of salmon oil, Fortiflora, collagen, biotin. Sometimes a boiled egg.
Are other cooked veggies acceptable for EPI?
She does not drink a lot of water. Exercise daily, off leash for a 2 mi walk. In and out all day.
That's about it.
Thanks again.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Mar 2024, 23:16

yes,... you can give : string beans, squash, butternut squash, kale, broccoli, rutabaga, turnips, carrots, sweet potato, cukes, beets, celery, zucchini and there are some others too.... but veggies need to be cooked and some you have to not overdue, like broccoli or Brussel sprouts- -as it could give them gas)

And there are lots of fresh fruits that they can have too...strawberries, watermelon, pears, apples, banana, cranberries (cooked), kiwi, pineapple, raspberries, blackberries, peaches (and even fresh tomato in limited amounts). Of course all fruits should be given in small amounts.

However.... what you are feeding sounds good... but maybe add some more fruit... for the fiber... supposedly fiber often helps with constipation.. or try adding another tsp of canned pumpkin... see if that helps............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kate

Post by Kate » 20 Mar 2024, 20:39

Thank you for the advice. I'll try more veg.
I did cut back on the enzyme a bit and have not seen any problems.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Mar 2024, 20:03

when you cook whatever veggie you decide on..... maybe save the water and include some of that in the meal.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes !