For those of you with puppies...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: For those of you with puppies...

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Mar 2024, 18:16

Lisa,

Izzy also got very high reward treats like real meat, liver pieces, beef and chicken . (i have a dehydrator so i used to make my own treats)... and yet it was easy to transition her to playing tuggy with me vs. treats even though she was a food motivated dog because interaction with their human is worth way more than food....... they key being "interaction" :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

LisaDorn2024
State: Utah
Pet name: Levi
My name: Lisa Dorn

Re: For those of you with puppies...

Post by LisaDorn2024 » 22 Mar 2024, 18:47

Olesia711 wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:16 Lisa,

Izzy also got very high reward treats like real meat, liver pieces, beef and chicken . (i have a dehydrator so i used to make my own treats)... and yet it was easy to transition her to playing tuggy with me vs. treats even though she was a food motivated dog because interaction with their human is worth way more than food....... they key being "interaction" :)
I wish Levi viewed it this way. It would be so much easier. Probably because I had played tug, fetch, flirt pole, etc so much before he got sick and this was just part of the routine fun we had together. Treats were for training, but also just for being a good boy -sometimes because I was catching him being good or sometimes I just wanted to praise him. He will learn to adjust but it will take time. With golden retrievers, food and human interactions are at the same level of motivation for the most part. And since humans dispense the treats, it strengthens the association between people and food. I can only speak about the dogs I have had. And maybe it's more about my style of being a dog mom. I don't have a dehydrator and I have never cooked (although I have cooked for Levi when we were doing food trials) but it looks like things are about to change. LOL.
But even if I purchased a dehydrator, with Levi's allergies I am not sure there would be treats I could make for him...at least right now. Hoping in time he will be able to enjoy some good healthy food occasionally. He is making great progress with the EPI portion of health issues.