NINA

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

NINA

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Mar 2024, 11:25

This will be a bittersweet and lengthy post, about two well-loved EPI doggies. Some of this will be a repeat, but as the day draws near, I'm a little nervous & I could use some support.

Some of you know that last November I lost my Tucker, my sweetheart, my boyfriend dog, who will never be replaced by anyone. I hate cancer. Diagnosed with EPI at 4 years old, he had long suffered the insufficiency without any help. Once we figured out that he had it, we were able to turn him around with the help of this wonderful group. We had five good years together, but due to his time of hunger & discomfort, he became a bit of a bully around here, and we had to always be aware of our "dog arrangements".

Tucker was grumpy, and sometimes he was mean. He would do things like lying very close to a doorway, snapping at the others when they tried to leave the room, and stealing the other dogs' food (!!!) without issue. You could almost see him laughing inside. While we didn't let him get away with ugly acts we still understood, he took every opportunity to maintain his entitled leadership. He and our other male never liked each other, and we had to separate them when we left the house.

And now there is Nina. On the Epi4dogs Facebook page, a story was posted about a GSD/EPI girl whose family absolutely had to rehome her. This was not a fluff rehoming; the need was serious, from a family that had already rescued her from a dangerous situation. Tucker had been gone for a few months, and I was still missing him terribly. I had even asked my daughter to let me have her GSD, but she couldn't give him up. I saw the post, responded casually because NJ is so far from FL, and after a couple of weeks the deal was done. Nina will be here April 2.

I have communicated privately with Olesia about stress & EPI, and I know it is quite possible that Nina will flare because of losing her family. I feel so bad for her, already. If I may, I'd like to pick your brains for any additional ideas and experiences the rest you have had, especially if anyone has knowingly adopted a dog with EPI. Extra especially, if you incorporated an EPI dog into your existing pack.

I think that's it. Thanks for reading, and thanks for making it so easy to come back as part of the group. After Tuck's death, I tried to still be helpful here, but it really was just too painful.

Take Care---Pam, Tucker, and Nina
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: NINA

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Mar 2024, 11:38

ahhh Pam...... so many of us can understand how painful it is to lose a "heart-dog" as so many of these EPI dogs are. ... even with all the "quirks" many of them display. NO dog can every really replace them.... but rather a new addition gives us different things to grow to love....

REgarding Adopting Nina..... You are truly a blessing, opening your heart and home and taking in Nina.

I have not brought into my home a dog with existing EPI, but rather have only introduced new puppies into my home, who then happened to develop EPI later....... so i am not sure how much help my suggestions can be... but with a grown dog.... i would think that not forcing affection on them, but rather be there and let them come to you when they are ready might be one good step.... AND....try spending various types of time with them. (1) spending time with you, Nina and your other dogs (2) but also spend time with just you and Nina... either by going to something like a park with just you two.... or spend in or outside when your other dogs are elsewhere...............

I am sure this will work out great but yes, do be prepared that there might be a little bit of a flare up in the very beginning just the stress of something new... new hoe, new people, etc.... OR.... there might not be any stress... who knows... just don't be surprised if there is a little

Looking forward to what others have to say......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Mar 2024, 11:42

Thank you Pam for welcoming Nina.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Dan_L
Pet name: Jaxson
My name: Dan

Post by Dan_L » 24 Mar 2024, 11:54

Just a suggestion from my own personal experience but we have used towels, blanket, toys, etc that would have the scents from their home and themselves. Smells they would be quite familiar with and possibly drawn a bit of comfort from. Especially in a new surrounding it might give something soothing they can to relate to.

A few times I have had to leave one of mine in a pet hospital overnight or more and we would leave one of their blankets in their hospital kennel. I would like to believe it helps to manage their stress levels a bit.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Mar 2024, 12:22

Olesia--Not forcing affection on her...I'd have never thought of that. Thank you, and also for your kind words about Tucker. On this forum, it's almost like we get to know each others' dogs after awhile, isn't it?

Jill, thank you. Wish me luck! Sounds like I'll be doing myself a favor if I take her out back & throw her a ball, shortly after her arrival.

Dan, those ideas are great. Lois has said she'll bring Nina's crate & her toys...I'll also ask for some linens that smell like her home. Thanks.---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Mar 2024, 19:27

I just found this out----

(Nina is stabilized since last summer)

Nina's mom mixes two cups of kibble with purified water and one TABLESPOON (so 3 teaspoons) of enzymes. And that's it. No B12, no SE or Tylan.

Have you ever? How can this be explained?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Mar 2024, 09:42

How interesting. I guess some dogs need more enzyme but wonder if the normal ratio of 1:1 would work.
Did you already say what food she is eating?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Mar 2024, 11:02

when Nina arrives.... stay on the same schedule and after she settles... then maybe try other combinations.

Nina might being doing well with 3 tsps of enzymes per 2 cups of food if the food is not that optimal for her and that might be why she does well with an extra tsp of enzymes.... many times if you have to or if you tend to feed a food that doesn't agree 100% with the dog's EPI condition... to compensate you just give extra enzymes.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 29 Mar 2024, 17:06

Very sorry about Tucker. I do understand the pain of losing a heart dog. It hurts. It hurts bad.

I hope Nina settles in quickly with no serious setbacks!
Chance was my 4 legged soul mate. My mobility assist service dog. Pure yellow Lab, 75 lbs. After struggling with weight all his life, finally dx with EPI. cTLI < 1, folate and B12 very low. Fed Raw. Maintained with Creon, Garden of Life probiotic and intermittent calcium bentonite clay. (Tylosin was a big nightmare for him)!

Rylee is Chance's successor; also pure Yellow/Fox red Lab. Started with symptoms at 8 weeks. At 6 months of age, also prescribed Creon due to suspected EPI (due to passing large amounts of undigested food). Currently suspected of blockages in pancreatic ducts. She is maintained VERY nicely on Creon and probiotics. Also raw fed.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Mar 2024, 18:57

Nina eats Purina One True Instinct High protein Beef & Salmon. Her mom told me it is less than 4% fiber, so I went ahead and bought some. I'm going to stick with it for awhile, so I don't mess her up unnecessarily, but eventually it will make sense to tweak things. The additional price of the extra enzymes may be offset by the price of this food vs the TOW and Fromm I usually feed my dogs. I'd love to get all the bigs on the same food.

I'm surprised she isn't flaring with SID. Could the enzymes make a difference with that?

Thanks, everyone, for the input & ideas. It makes sense that a cheaper food might yield fewer nutrients. You guys know so much!!!

Andrea, thank you for your kind words. He was one heckuva good boy. Funny, we're both back here with new pups...

Pam