New here and needing feeding advice

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New here and needing feeding advice

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Mar 2024, 18:44

Judy---

YEA, for ordering from Diane. She's awesome, and she's just "Diane". If you email her, she answers you, herself.

Did you order 6X or 8X?---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

mum2zorro
State: Illinois
Pet name: Zorro
My name: Judy K

Post by mum2zorro » 27 Mar 2024, 11:03

Thank you, Olesia!

Zorro had his first B12 shot yesterday along with subcutaneous fluids to try to help perk him up a bit. I also got the enzymes. (I was so desperate for enzymes NOW that I ordered Enzymes Diane, and now I have the one that the vet prescribed AND the enzymes Diane... So I'm starting with the ones that were prescribed.) He is also on an appetite stimulant. Anything to make him eat!

He had one poop yesterday (after not having gone at all the day before). It looked as though the "starting end" was a tiny bit soft from the previous poop nightmare, but then it leveled out and was perfectly appropriate. This was before the enzymes.

Enzymes finally in hand, I wanted to "sweeten the deal" so I offered him a taste of Greek yogurt with honey (which he seemed to like), and then mixed the enzymes with a spoonful of the yogurt... then mixed that into the food and waited 20 minutes. He did end up eating it. However, this morning he only had a few bites. I removed the bowl and started over, mixing turkey bone broth with the kibble instead of yogurt. So we will see if he goes for it later this morning. I have yet to see how that poo turns out. Thanks for the journal idea!

His BREATH however... It could stop a charging rhinocerous! Do many dogs get foul breath when they start the enzymes? (Not that I will turn down kisses, but still!)

Thank you again for your generous help!

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 27 Mar 2024, 15:22

Personally, I would start with the enzyme Diane ones. I am also cheap. I would save the prescription ones as an emergency.
I would use the enzyme Diane long term, so I would want to figure out the routine with those first. Of course, both will work, and it is completely up to you on which ones to use.
Some dogs do get smelly with the enzymes. Not one really knows why. It should get better with time, hopefully.

mum2zorro

Post by mum2zorro » 27 Mar 2024, 17:27

He is actually not eating today... at all. Not with yogurt coating the enzymes, not with turkey broth on enzymes, not with just water on the enzymes....

He just won't go anywhere near his food. It's very disconcerting.

mum2zorro

Post by mum2zorro » 29 Mar 2024, 21:33

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 18:44 Judy---

YEA, for ordering from Diane. She's awesome, and she's just "Diane". If you email her, she answers you, herself.

Did you order 6X or 8X?---P
I ordered the 6x. (Honestly I don't even know what the difference is, this is all so new.) I have the Pancre-Plus from the vet. I even ordered Pan-Tenex after reading that it might be less off-putting (smell wise) since it is made without acetone ???

I am really getting desperate to get this guy to eat.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Mar 2024, 19:14

Any luck getting him to eat? Will he eat plain protein without enzymes?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Mar 2024, 19:19

I realize I answered this post and you have switched posts. Sorry

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

mum2zorro

Post by mum2zorro » 30 Mar 2024, 20:57

jilbert57 wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 19:19 I realize I answered this post and you have switched posts. Sorry

Jill
My fault. I'm all over the place.

I'll try to stick to one thread, lol!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Mar 2024, 23:25

No problem I will head over to the other post😃

Jill

mum2zorro

Post by mum2zorro » 01 Apr 2024, 13:31

jilbert57 wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 19:14 Any luck getting him to eat? Will he eat plain protein without enzymes?

Jill
I walked the enzymes back to 1/2 t. per feeding instead of 3/4 t., and gave him plain (rotisserie) chicken with a little rice. He ate this for a couple of meals, but didn't poop for two days. Yesterday there was a blow out all over my living room carpet. Uggh.

I'm trying to increase enzymes to 3/4 t. now but he is refusing the chicken with rice even. He might eat it if it were just chicken?

I ordered Just Food For Dogs, hoping that maybe he will eat that with enzymes. Picky little stinker!