Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Re: Newly Diagnosed Corgi w/EPI - Suggestions?

Post by Bri S » 04 Jan 2019, 12:05

Hi everyone, I hope all is well!

I have had Opal on Wonderlabs B12 for about a week and a half now and it's hard to say if she's doing better than on the Cobalequin B12 Chewable she was taking since we haven't re-done blood work yet to see where her levels are at now.

Everything seems to be the same except she's frequently urinating. She's asking to go probably 4 or 5 times in the evening which has increased from her usual routine. Have any of you found this to be a side affect of the B12 from Wonderlabs maybe?

We haven't changed anything else for her - but have noticed the more frequent urinating so I thought I'd ask! Also we have broken up her yearly shots into 1 shot per week and we are on week 2. No issues there either! Today she gets her rabies shot.

Thanks,
Bri & Opal
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Jan 2019, 13:12

Hi Bri, I don't recall increased urination with B12 but I have dealt with increased urination with beginning enzymes. Others may chime in.😁Has Opal been consuming more water than usual?
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 04 Jan 2019, 13:31

Hi There!

Opal drinks a pretty good amount of water normally... so I wouldn't say she's necessarily drinking more than usual. But she does drink quite a bit of water! She's just been asking to go outside A LOT in the evenings recently and she actually does have to go pee.

Normally she's a stinker and just asks to go outside and play lol (it's a bit too cold for that right now in Washington!), but she's been actually going recently when she asks.

Thanks!
Bri & Opal
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 05 Jan 2019, 10:21

Hi Bri,

For some reason, some dogs start to urinate frequently early in their treatment. Other dogs do not. Our Kolby suddenly started peeing excessively. He would ask to go out in the middle of the night and started to have accidents in the house even though he had been trained for a year. This lasted a couple of months and then disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived. We have heard many similar reports that some pups experience this. Keep recording it in your log/journal in case it is something other than the new treatment. We did have Kolby checked for UTI, but it came back negative.

Hopefully, Opal will adjust soon and her need to urinate will return to normal.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Jan 2019, 20:14

Yes quite a few owners have reported increased peeing after starting treatment but it usually subsides. I don't know if there's any real stats on B12 causing increased urination, but I can tell you when I drink those energy drinks that contain high amounts of vitamin B it makes me go :D I would definitely keep an eye on it and if you have any concern, have the vet check her for a UTI or bladder infection. Please keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Jan 2019, 09:29

So glad you were able to do the Happy Poo Dance. It might seeem ridiculous to others, but we know that the poos are our guide to what is going on with our pups. When we see good poos, we know that we are approaching balance of food, enzymes, B12, antibiotics. The good stools msy not always be consistent at first, so don't be discouraged. But you are definitely on the right track. Hang in there.

And the log/journal saved our sanity too!

Barb

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 10 Jan 2019, 13:05

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

I think for now I will definitely keep an eye on it. She doesn't seem to have any discomfort, so maybe the B12 is just making her need to go more often? If it persists I will certainly take her in.

She had her rabies shot yesterday - the last shot of her yearly ones that we had spread out over 3 weeks and she weighs 23.6 lbs! Woo hoo! She was down to 18lbs or so when the EPI was first diagnosed/ when we were trying to figure out a treatment that would work for her. That's a lot of weight gain for a small dog and she looks GREAT :)

Thank You!
Bri & Opal

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Jan 2019, 17:11

Congratulations on the weight gain for Opal. Keep up the good work😊
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 11 Jan 2019, 09:02

Hello,

Totally odd as nothing has changed with Opal ‘s diet lately - but last night she asked to go outside at 11pm, 3am, and 6am. Each time she went pee and poop (odd!) but the last time at 6am this morning she vomited twice. It was just white foam, and I have no idea why.

Normally she sleeps thru the night which didn’t happen, then her going to the bathroom every time she asked, and vomiting....

Any thoughts?

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jan 2019, 11:06

When my dogs vomit froth first thing it is usually acid reflux or needing to eat. You might try adding a small enzymed meal before bed or talk to your vet about the use of an acid reducer like pepcid or zantac before bed.