wet or dry food?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
virtualist
State: Pennsylvania

wet or dry food?

Post by virtualist » 21 Feb 2019, 15:31

This is Sara, Sophie's mom! A question for all of you. Does anyone feed only wet food to their EPI dog? Or does anyone feed only dry food? If one feeds only wet food, is that ok not to have anything crunchy for their teeth?

If Sophie is stable with her weight and is even gaining more than her original weight, should I be cutting back to 2 meals a day or cutting back on the amount of food at her 3 meals? She weighs 31 lbs now and gets ~1 cup of wet and dry food combined 3 times a day.

Thank you. Sara

kcblock1
State: Massachusetts
Pet name: Zack

Re: wet or dry food?

Post by kcblock1 » 21 Feb 2019, 18:15

My Pom Zack is on wet food. Prior to his EPI diagnosis he was on kibble free feeding, with small amount of wet food for his liquid phenobarbital dose due to his history of seizures. But we found it easier to totally switch to wet food feedings after his diagnosis. It was easier than having to soak kibble, etc. We periodically add a few pieces of kibble to his wet food just before his feeding. He had dental issues before we adopted him and so he has healthy mouth additive to his water and small amounts of a dental chew daily. He won’t let me brush his teeth.
Kathy Crocker, Cape Cod, MA, USA, Zack is a 6 year old, 10 lb., Pomeranian dx on Nov 6,2018 with TLI of 2.5 after month of yellow cow patty stool. Lost one pound. Stool converted to normal immediately, main issue gastric reflux. Currently on Royal Canin wet food with bits of kibble, ProcreaPlusPowder, Tylan pinch 2xday, B12 injection monthly, weening off compounded Omeprazole. Also receives twice daily Phenobarbital for history of seizures.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Feb 2019, 20:32

I would say if you are happy with her weight keep doing what you're doing. Is it convenient to feed 3 times a day? If so keep it up. If not split the food in half and see how she does. I like the idea of wet and kibble mix. I do this for mine at dinner.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Feb 2019, 11:18

Jill hit the nail on the head :) do what works.

I personally feed 80% home-made and 20% kibble .... so... it is a combo of wet and dry... works like a charm for us :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 22 Feb 2019, 13:14

we feed kibble with some wet food as a topper

and I agree, what works, works, there is no right or wrong here

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

mygabby
State: Washington
Pet name: Gabby

Post by mygabby » 21 May 2019, 00:55

Hi,
My Gabby was diagnosed a few months ago and with the help of a great vet and some of the advice from this forum, she is doing great. My vet prescribed a wet food called Royal Canine Gastrointestinal and High Energy along with 1/8 tsp of pancreatic enzymes (from EnzymeDiane). It requires a prescription and Chewy’s price is much better than Petsmart (about $76 for 24 large cans). I also add one packet of Fortiflora by Pro Plan once a day. I have both of these auto shipped every 3 weeks. Gabby is very little (she was 3.5 pounds when I got her, she is now 5.5 pounds which is her normal weight; she is 1.8 yrs old). She absolutely loves this wet food which I give her twice a day plus treats. The treats are this same food with enzymes but dehydrated. Remember, I have a tiny dog and only use 1/8 tsp on her food. You may need more-ask you vet. Dehydrate On high (165 degrees) for 30 min. and then 11-12 hrs at 103 degrees. This keeps bacteria from growing (not high enough to kill bacteria but you don’t want to denature the enzyme which means it is destroyed. I make little balls with a teaspoon. Once fairly dry but still a bit soft inside, I can store them in a jar in the refrigerator and use them for training, treats.
My name is Kathy Paris and I live in Washinton State and adopted a 1.7 year old pom on 2/22/19. The breeder thought she was thin due to competition with her other poms for left out food. When I brought Gabby to the vet and gave her the symptoms of ravenous appetite, huge volumes of poop and going often, eating her poop, and weighing only 3.5 (but should way 5.5 pounds) the vet immediately suspected EPI. Tests confirmed it. Now we are going through the long process of finding out what works and what doesn’t. She is my 6th pom but none have had this disease. I will not give up on her, nor will my vet.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 21 May 2019, 14:44

Thank you mygabby for your insight we have a treat tab and one in particular about the treats in a dehydrator

https://epi4dogs.com/treats/
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

kailynsandiego
State: California
Pet name: Goldendoodle
My name: Kailynn Bowling

Post by kailynsandiego » 06 Feb 2023, 05:39

Generally speaking, wet food is better for dogs than dry food. Wet food has fewer carbohydrates, which are difficult for dogs to digest, and more water, which keeps dogs hydrated.
Kailynn Bowling
Founder of San Diego Goldendoodles (https://www.sandiego-goldendoodle.com/)

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 06 Feb 2023, 17:54

Unless you're feeding a true dental diet, kibble has no effect on dental health. The idea that it does is a very old and stubborn myth. If you're concerned about your pup's teeth, there are a lot of things you can do. Healthy Mouth in the water dish, or applied as a dentifrice is quite effective. Chewing things like Nylabones, which get roughed up as they are gnawed, will help clean without upsetting an EPI dog's system, and there are many variatons on this theme.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.