Welcome EVERYONE!!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Welcome EVERYONE!!!!

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Jul 2018, 22:50

Hey everyone.... please continue to check out the website pages and try things on the forum,
The web master has been working right thru the weekend, fixing glitches, making corrections, editing connections, etc... so some things that were not working Friday or Saturday are working now.

Like we said... it is a process.... but the results are well worth it :P
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Rudysmom

Post by Rudysmom » 24 Jul 2018, 09:14

I'm new to the forum and to EPI...after several weeks of trying to figure out what was going on with Rudy, our Landseer Newf, he was diagnosed on July 19, 2018! He only started the enzymes yesterday so I'm hopeful for improvement!!
Very thankful to have found this site!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2018, 11:22

Hi Rudy's mom and welcome to our EPI family.
Sorry that Rudy has been diagnosed with EPI, but.... the good news is that once you understand that with EPI you need to treat the whole dog (and we will help you with this) it is amazing how quickly these dogs become very manageable .

The key things are:
1. Porcine based enzymes with EVERY meal
2. Over 80% of all EPi dogs need B12 supplementation, normal range is NOT good enough
3. In the beginning many have better results with food with love fiber content, try to avoid food with grain. Simply because grain laden food can interfere with the efficacy of the now necessary enzymes anywhere from 0% to 50%..... and we have no idea which dog will have a problem with "grains" .. so universally (in the beginning ) we suggest to start with no grain/low fiber food... something with 4% or even less fiber content often works better.
4. Get SID under control. Some EPi dogs do not have much of a problem with SID, but most do in the beginning. We used to automatically recommend Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate antibiotic powder) over Metronidazole antibiotic... but now we are going one step further and telling folks hold off on the Tylan for a few weeks and try a prebiotic to see if that is enough to improve the gut flora... if not... then resort to trying Tylan antibiotic over Metro. Metro doesn't always work on SID..... and can have adverse effects, whereas Tylan has a better track record battling SID and has no known adverse effects........

ANd the last but very important piece to managing EPI is to keep an EPI log. Trust me this will save your sanity when thing go south or are just not working as they should. What this means is that something needs to be adjusted... but juggling 4 possibilities and trying to figure out which is "off" can be mind-boggling. If you keep an EPI Log.... it will help you and your vet see what helps and what hinders your pet. Sometimes it is not just a specific ingredient that sets them off... but sometimes it is also the amount of a certain ingredient... hence keeping an accurate log/journal will REALLY help you. I am attaching a sample of an EPI log for you to have an idea of what to keep track of... AND i will also provide a link to our EPI Log page because one of our members actually created an EPI LOG on Google so you don't have to write anything down, jsut keep ino on your computer and you will have access to it no matter where you go. The EPI "google" Log page is here
https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

and paper sample of an EPI log is below:
The attachment EPI Log 8-2017.pdf is no longer available
Also i am attaching a quickie EPI beginner guide the summarizes managing EPI. for your perusal...
Attachments
EPI Log 8-2017.pdf
(403.36 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Rudysmom

Post by Rudysmom » 24 Jul 2018, 12:53

Thank you for the information! I love the log idea and thanks for the template. I will get on it today.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2018, 16:29

You are very welcome Rudy's mom.

Forgive me, but i need to try something.... we just rolled out this new forum a few weeks ago... and this week i just learned how to do attachments with files.... when i responded to you above, the attachment of the paper version went thru... but now i am seeing a notice that it is no longer available??? This doesn't make sense to me... so.... i am going to attach another paper EPI log as an attachment..... then after some time goes by i am going to click on it and see if that is what makes it unavailable .........

*SIGH*... old dog trying to learn new tricks here.... and i am not always successful....... :(

PDF of paper EPI Log:
EPI Log 8-2017.pdf
(403.36 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

Rudysmom

Post by Rudysmom » 24 Jul 2018, 17:29

Thanks for resending, however, the first attempt worked! LOL! :D

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Jul 2018, 19:34

Glad it worked the first time for you..... but with the 1st one i sent... it now says now longer available.... but with the 2nd time i added it as an attachment... looks liek it has been downloaded 3 times and is still available.... so... it just might be a wierd glitch in the 1st one.

Thanks for you patience with me doing trial and error stuff on your thread (posts) :)
as i am still learning how to navigate on this forum :)