GSD keeps throwing up - only stops when on meds

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: GSD keeps throwing up - only stops when on meds

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Sep 2022, 21:32

Tcworld, usually both are OTC here in US. On the Pepcid you want plain , not the Complete.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tcworld
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Mya
My name: Angela

Post by Tcworld » 09 Sep 2022, 21:39

Jill,
How do you dose for a dog's weight? I apologize I'm new to all of this. My lab is about 82lbs, could I give a full tablet?

Thanks.

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 10 Sep 2022, 23:53

Tcworld wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 21:24 Question on this topic of acid reflux.
My vet is not keen on me giving my pup any over the counter pepcid or similar medications. My 8 year old lab has pancreatitis and frequently has an upset stomach. I have prescribed cerenia from my vet. For the pepcid or prilosec are you getting medications through a vet or buying in a normal store and basing it off of the dogs weight?

Thanks for helping.
This answer might depend on where you live. In the US, there is a lot of over the counter options, including prilosec. Elsewhere, it's prescription only.

I am giving Pepcid AC on the advice of two vets; but it's because of a mast cell tumor. Dogs with mast cell tumors need antacids daily (or, as I learned the hard way, you do get bleeding ulcers)!

But there's different types of antacids. Proton pump inhibitors (PPI, such as prilosec, etc) OR H2 histamine reducers (such as Pepcid)

For the mast cell tumor, I need to give the H2 histamine reducers...as the tumors release histamine, which drives up stomach acid (from H2).

I have no idea if one (PPI vs H2 inhibitors) is better for general acid issues or not. Both reduce acid, but in a different way. I was just told that for the tumor, he needed had to reduce H2 histamine...which meant Pepcid.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2022, 15:39

when giving acid reflux meds to our dogs, it is prescribed by weight... BUT.... to be on the safe side. ALways ask your vet first how much of what product to give you dog.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........