Trialing no Creon.......scared

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Patsy

Re: Trialing no Creon.......scared

Post by Patsy » 28 Mar 2019, 07:39

Let’s hope your costs drop down very quickly. I overcame complaints about money by reminding him he kept his hobbies in the garage and they need constant new bits! I don’t ask and nor does he now.
Also you must remind the vet to concentrate on the essential tests for now. A lot of the subsidiary problems occur because of a downturn in epi symptoms. These usually resolve themselves as the dogs epi state is resolved. I read too often of expensive biopsies and scans that don’t actually reveal any more than the common sense approach of feeling where it hurts, studying poo photos, urine and blood.
Like doctors, some vets want to be surgeons, others are prefer the medical approach. With eg, human cancer, in the UK you meet a multidisciplinary team....the surgeon proposes surgery, the radiologist wants radiotherapy, the medic wants chemo. It’s hard to know who is right.

Separately, my cocker had guarding issues, and the rule was to never ever confront him aggressively, and OH, got angry once which upset everyone, with the remark, it’s me or the dog. I ignored it, and nothing happened. Intensive training in dog psychology for OH was attempted. Things got better!
Keep going, you will turn the corner.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 28 Mar 2019, 07:45

I'm glad things seem to be turning around with Buzz. Hopefully the costs will go down now that the Creon is at the right dose for one thing! Much less going in.....
Glad Oleisa, Madelon and Jill have been helping, that's a good team to have on board.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Mar 2019, 09:39

Hi Danielle, glad to hear Buzz is doing better and the lower Creon dose is working.
The cost monthly should lower and stabilize once things settle down. Not sure on Creon price but going from 420 a month down to 60 has to be big!
When Buzz vomits is it all day off and on or limited to a time frame?
Hang in there, our babies are worth it. We all love them. 5 times in his life Mick clogged with a stone, in the evening, after hours, had to rush to emergency vet. Surgery the next day. Each emergency was about 3500.00. This always happened when we were on a down turn in the business. Somehow we got through. When it came right down to it my husband loved that pup as much as I did, even though at times words were said and it made me think. That dog would never stay put on John's lap, always my shadow :D
Hang tough.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.