Vaccinations and Flea control for EPI dogs

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: Vaccinations and Flea control for EPI dogs

Post by Riley's Mom » 08 Apr 2019, 23:00

And welcome to the family!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Ruby
State: Florida

Post by Ruby » 18 Jun 2019, 22:00

Hi, I will just share my experiences with you. Take it for what it is worth to you. If you don't need flea and tick control I wouldn't and hadn't used it on 3 of my animals . Two dogs and one cat. Never had a problem with fleas or ticks. I feel that less is best. I don't like to do something for them if there is no problem. To me it why put any chemicals on them.

On the other had my EPI dog now can not tolerate Advantage II she gets itchy and starts losing her hair. So since she did have fleas I sat with her and comb through her hair taking off fleas everyday. vacuumed everyday used natural things and the fleas left. My other dog at the same time I used Advantage II the fleas weren't leaving...so I looked on line it said you can give you dog the same medication after 14 days even called the rep of Advantage and was told I could use it again on my dog same thing. Well, my dog not an EPI dog over the next few weeks started to cough , lost his appetite for a week or so and then became disorientated and would stand in my living room not knowing where we were and would bark, bark, bark. That had gone on for months ( I never gave him anymore) He still is not totally the same as far of wondering where we are from time to time that was never ever him. I then after a few months used Frontline instead. He started itching and then his skin became very flakey ..... So I stopped that he is now flea free because I did natural things. Too much to go into now. SO MY THOUGHT ON ALL THIS FLEA MEDS IS DON'T USE IT IF YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE TO. ESPECIALLY IN COLD WEATHER. Hope this helps a little. Good luck

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 18 Jun 2019, 22:13

We are like family Richard, and glad you're a part of it now!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

mishi84
State: New York
Pet name: Kettie

Post by mishi84 » 16 Aug 2022, 00:13

I am opposed to any chemicals in my house because of the animals and people with asthma. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their dogs or cats when using flea bombs properly however I would worry about the squirrels.
The only truly safe way to handle fleas is to vacuum the whole house paying attention to corners and woodwork (throw the bag away) then steam clean all your carpets. This will greatly reduce the number of fleas. Then put Frontline on your cats and dogs (not the squirrel) Any remaining fleas will jump on the pets to eat and will die, be sure to repeat the Frontline application for 3 months to kill off all hatching eggs. Use only Frontline because the store-bought ones are very dangerous, particularly bio spot and anything by Hartz. While I'm not thrilled about putting chemicals directly on the pets either I believe it is safer than the bombs for all involved and will prevent a re-infestation later on.
If you opt to use the bombs I would wash the floors and even mop the carpets after. Don't forget to wash down all counters, tables, shelving, and woodwork. Basically, anything that you or your pets will walk on or chew on.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 16 Aug 2022, 01:38

I vaccinated Montgomery last year on the vet's advice and will never do it again. I could have fried an egg on his forehead, and he had explosive black diarrhea all over the livingroom. He was lethargic and crabby and sick and painfull. He got "flea'd" because he hangs with a cat who had picked up fleas, so both of them got the treatment. He didn't react to it at all. I used Advantage on both cats. We rescued his friend and she lives with us now. She has IBD that was never treated, so it's been a haul.
I should have known better about the vaccines. If I wouldn't put a vaccine into myself, why would I do it to anyone else?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

SarahC55
Pet name: Reva
My name: Sarah Coton

Post by SarahC55 » 16 Aug 2022, 08:37

Madelon wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 22:36 Hi there. This is such a hot button topic. Ultimately it's a personal decision between you and your vet. I can tell you I have heard of some people having bad side effects from Nexguard and others swear by it. I personally recommend any vaccinations and flea/tick and heartworm meds be given a few weeks apart. I give heartworm meds on the 1st of the month and flea/tick on the 15th. I use Frontline for flea/tick - a lot of vets say its no longer effective but I guess that depends on your level of exposure. As for vaccines, I get the the titer test for vaccines and have a medical waiver from my vet for rabies as my EPI dog has bad reactions. I highly recommend researching the laws in your city, county and state and then discuss with your vet as to what the best options are for you and your dog.
Hi - I'm from the UK and a recently retired veterinary nurse. Fipronil (Frontline) does appear to be losing its efficacy against fleas, although it's sometimes hard to say for certain - it's a neurotoxin so causes the fleas to convulse and become hyperactive (poor little things) so people often think it's not working because they see loads of very active fleas shortly after application. I've continued giving Nexgard Spectra, in one of her meals, since Reva was diagnosed nearly 2 months ago with no apparent effect on her EPI symptoms. I prefer tablets to topical treatments as she loves swimming and there's evidence that pet parasiticides are contaminating waterways and affecting wildlife, so I prefer to use something I can bag and dispose of safely when it's passed through the dog! I have no worries at all about vaccinating her and she'll have her first annual booster next month as planned. Ultimately I'd discuss any concerns with your vet, but I'm not aware of any issues with vaccinating, defleaing or worming an EPI dog.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 16 Aug 2022, 09:37

Marti became flu-like ill after vaccination when she was diagnosed age 4. The vet felt it had been linked too. We agreed to keep the leptospirosis going, as rats are everywhere out of sight, and when I was a teenager, our Westie terrier died from it, and so much stuff had to be destroyed in case of infection.
Marti was stilled kennelled occasionally, and the vet promised he would write a letter of explanation to the owner and any inspectors. He felt she would have had enough protection in her blood from the old ones. I didn’t kennel her often because I would have write a manual for them, for looking after her individual issues! I don’t know if he could do that these days. Titre testing is expensive.
I avoided flea/tick treatments as well. I did worm her since she would eat poo!
I agree the other UK post regarding Frontline. It is ineffective in S.Yorkshire. I use a tablet on my non-epi dogs, though only when necessary.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.