New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 02 Nov 2022, 12:28

Jean....your humor is priceless and something I believe we all need in our lives. I have the t.v. show "I Love Lucy" going through my head right now. The one regarding the grape stomping.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Take care and be safe.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 02 Nov 2022, 13:29

Liverpool's sense of humour is legend as is the East End of London

I just try to make light if thats the right word, of something thats terrifying

I love Lucy is one of my all time favourites as is The Golden Girls, I absolutely LOVE that show
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 04 Nov 2022, 11:05

It sounds like you are a part of the legend as I love your sense of humor.

Ahhh....the Golden Girls.....there isn't another show that I would rather watch then those 4 spicy and sassy ladies. What a classic.

Have a great weekend!

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Nov 2022, 17:20

thank goodness for humor.... as sometimes EPI "frustration" can almost do us in!!!!

BTW... just adding my 2 cents.... i too will not give aspirin.... there are just too many other all around safe meds for dogs.... besides..... i hesitate when the advice is 50-50 on something..... those odds just aren't very good!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 08 Nov 2022, 08:33

Good Morning Olesia:

I always appreciate hearing your two cents and all of the advice of the others. No more aspirin for the pups!!

You are 100% correct....the struggles and stress of having an EPI can feel overwhelming at times. I remember the sheer amount of fear when we first started "Sadie's journey". So whenever we can find some humor in things....we need to appreciate that and laugh as it is a great stress reliever.

Speaking of our Sadie and the help this wonderful organization has given us....it's time for me to make another donation.

Have a great rest of your day. And, as always, thank you for responding.

Lisa & Sadie

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 12 Feb 2023, 11:34

Good Morning:

It's me again. First, I purchased a bottle of Traumeel and it works great with no side effects.

Now, the reason for my post. Sadie has been shedding a lot - seems like more than usual. We are vacuuming constantly (but Bella is also shedding). I read that coconut oil helps with shedding. My questions: is this safe for Sadie to use? If so, would you suggest the pill form or the one you rub into their coat? (I would prefer the pill as I don't know if the oil residue on her hair would damage our furniture when she lays on it. Last - how often can I give it/apply it to her?

She is doing GREAT and I don't want to rock any boats! Not sure if this is EPI related or not - but her coat has turned from a beautiful orange color to 75% cream and 25% orange. Any thoughts? Or just changed with age?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Feb 2023, 15:03

Hi Lisa! I owe you an email things just seem to come up!
I am glad the Traumeel is working.
I have only ever used coconut oil as a food additive to help their skin and for weight gain. I get the big tub from Costco and all of us eat it. (Just raw out of the jar lol)The dogs use it as a treat. It is their cold pressed extra virgin.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 14 Feb 2023, 16:06

Hi Jill!!

I do miss hearing from you! I hope all is well.

Ugh, I don't want to use it if Sadie is going to gain weight as she is at weight where she needs to be at. But I think I should go ahead and buy a small amount and see if it helps with her excessive shedding. As always, I really appreciate your advice and help.

Take care. Lisa

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 14 Jun 2023, 08:47

Good Morning:

Sadie's "sister" and best friend, Bella, passed over the rainbow bridge last Friday. They had been constant buddies the last 6 years. Sadie is a very shy dog; always has been. Since Bella's passing we have noticed that Sadie's appetite has dropped in half. We knew she would be off for a few days....but thought she would be doing better by now. My concern, as always, is if this is going to have any effect on her EPI? Between the smaller amount of food being taken in and the stress we feel she is going through with being the only dog - we are just worried about her. Her stools remain great. I'm I overthinking this? Is there anything we should be doing for Sadie right now, other than loving her to pieces, so that her EPI isn't exacerbated?

Thank you for your continued assistance. It is always appreciated.

Lisa & Sadie

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Jun 2023, 10:33

Oh Lisa I am so sorry to hear Bella passed. I know what good buddies they were.😪
Yes the mental state of the ones still living is of a concern. When Mickey passed Kiya did not show any outward signs of grieving and I think even enjoyed the fact she got all the attention! Then we got TJ and fast forward 8 years to when Kiya passed. TJ was a lost soul. So along came outgoing take control Sadie and off they went. A buddy was what TJ needed and she is outgoing where he is shy and timid. They are fast friends and sleep together on the couch. So a friend was very helpful to him.

Does Sadie have any other dog friends that could meet for a play date?

Different dogs take time to grieve or not so just try and give extra cuddles.

I don't think EPI should be a problem as long as enzymes are still being consumed. How is her B12 level?

Again I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.