New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sadie'sMom
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Sadie
My name: Lisa

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Feeling Overwhelmed...

Post by Sadie'sMom » 28 Oct 2022, 17:20

Hi Olesia!

First, thank you very much for coming to my assistance. You ladies have always been so nice to me. I took Gabapentin for a while and it didn't do a thing for me either. I agree, I wouldn't want to have to take Sadie to the vet all of the time to have her liver checked.

I am absolutely going to get some Traumeel - thank you so much for that suggestion. She just plays so darn hard and I struggle to not let her play because she lives for it. I will skip the T-Relief - sounds like Traumeel is the ticket for pain.

Thank you again for all of your continued help as we continue on this journey with our Sadie.

Have a great weekend.

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 28 Oct 2022, 17:23

Hi Pam!

So very nice to hear from you! I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Thank you for telling me your story about Tucker and aspirin. I just don't know if it was that darn aspirin or if she was having pain, but it sure scared me how she was acting. We are super careful in the summer with her because she would run until she dropped if we let her (but I appreciate you mentioning that as you never know if someone doesn't realize something isn't good for them/their dog).

It was great hearing from you. Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisa
Sadie is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever ("Toller" for short). She eats Authority Grain Free Chicken & Pea kibble. To make sure she ingests the enzymes, we mix some No Sodium Chicken Broth and a small handful of meat - chicken, hamburger, pork - and stir it up with her dog food (she eats like a champ now!). With each meal she gets 5 scoops (1 1/4 tsp's) of Diane's Enzymes and a WonderLabs B-12 with Intrinsic factor. She gets 1 Proviable-DC probiotic per day. Diagnosed in September 2019 with EPI. She has some issues with dry skin we are dealing with now.

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 28 Oct 2022, 17:29

Good afternoon from Wisconsin!

It is so nice hearing from you!! Thank you for sending the websites - I'm going to check those out after I finish this post. I had read the no-no about Naproxen and ibuprofen. But the other sites said aspirin was okay.... I can't take ibuprofen. Was given too much one time by a doctor and it tore my stomach up and I haven't been able to any ever since. Darn doctor.

What a scare you had with Kara!! So glad she is okay.

She has rested and appears to be feeling a lot better (since yesterday).

No weight loss --- more like weight gain! Trying to keep that under control right now. I will definitely keep in mind, for the future, that she might not eat because of pain. Honestly never thought about that for some reason!

She was limping on her back right leg - but that cleared up fairly quickly. Never thought about the water bottle - will remember that for the future too!

Thank you again for responding. Have a great weekend. So thankful I have you ladies in my life.

Lisa

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Oct 2022, 20:27

Hi Lisa, well there you have it. Some more suggestions. Maybe I am the only one who shys away from aspirin:

"Never attempt to relieve your dog's pain by administering over-the-counter medications, such as ibuprofen, naproxen (e.g., Aleve), acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol), or aspirin. Human anti-inflammatories can cause life-threatening toxicities in pets, and you should give your dog only veterinarian-prescribed medications.Jan 22, 2020
https://vetmedaz.com › 2020/01/22
Causes and Treatments of Limps for Dogs - VETMED"

"Can you give your dog aspirin for pain?

The short answer is no. While your vet may prescribe aspirin to help your dog when they're in pain, you should not give them the same medication you have in your cabinet. Medicines like ibuprofen and naproxen can be toxic to dogs, even in small doses.Feb 14, 2021
https://pets.webmd.com › dogs › ca...
Can I Give My Dog Aspirin? - Pet's WebMD"

These are a couple that come up when I asked the question. I suppose they actually have an aspirin forcdogs I wouls suspect it is buffered. Good luck in whatever you choose for Sadie! I will try to shoot you an email :D

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 Oct 2022, 03:50

I see jill has been reading the same websites

my vet who we called Uncle Ian now retired. was an amazing font of knowledge and after 3 shepherds we learned

the other thing to check if limping is maybe a stripped claw or something stuck in their paw and that can be tiny but I am sure you checked I remember one of mine got a pebble stuck,

good news that the limping has slowed down

they become so.pathetic when they have a sore paw, its a case of "Mum peel me a grape"
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 31 Oct 2022, 10:51

Morning Jill:

Thank you for your new response. Google - where the answer is yes AND no at the same time. :D That's why I love having this forum to ask questions.....because all of you are such a wealth of information. There hasn't been a subject that I didn't get an answer on. I'm just hesitant to ask my vet anything related to Sadie because he doesn't know anything about EPI (Sadie's case was his first and he's been a vet for over 30 years!!)

I look forward to hearing from you and hope that all is well.

Hugs - Lisa

Sadie'sMom

Post by Sadie'sMom » 31 Oct 2022, 10:56

Morning Jean!

I love your humor - peal me a grape. Ha ha.

We have a lot of buckthorn bushes all over our property and both dogs walk in the areas where the little pieces of branches fall off. I have suffered numerous puncture wounds from those bushes and they are enough to make a grown man cry. You have to wait for them to fester up before you can get the broken part out of your finger (or paw). So, that is definitely an option. Yes, we check their feet routinely - but we would never be able to see if it was a buckthorn due to the size. Sadie does chew on her feet when something is bothering her (not often). When I see that - I always check her feet. You are correct - 2 or 3 times it has been due to a split nail, which we take care of right away.

I watched both dogs this weekend and noticed that Bella has a slight limp on her back left leg and Sadie's slight limp is on her back right leg (I thought it was the opposite the other day). Bella has pretty bad arthritis and swollen joints.

Great hearing from you - appreciate (as always) the helpful hints and advice!

Take care. Hugs. Lisa

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 31 Oct 2022, 11:46

am I right in thinking the fruits of this bush are sloes and used for gin making :lol:

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 31 Oct 2022, 17:54

Jean, as always, you are hilarious!

I agree with staying away from over the counter aspirin as there can be many side effects in dogs. The only time we used over the counter was recommended by our vet after Kolby bloated and had surgery to untwist his stomach (and save his life). She recommended we give him one Gas-X gelcap after the evening meal each night.. It worked like a charm and we never had another bloat issue.....frankly, I don't think I would have survived another episode.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 01 Nov 2022, 03:08

remember that well we were all so worried

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx