New Diagnosis - GSD Puppy

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New Diagnosis - GSD Puppy

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Feb 2020, 11:58

Hi Eleanor, you could try feeding on a flat plate.
Also put a few dry kibble in some water after the enzymed meal and let your Fi rinse the mouth out with fresh water.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ehellriegel
State: Georgia
Pet name: Fi
My name: Eleanor

Post by Ehellriegel » 08 Feb 2020, 15:26

Pam,
Yes we mix in warm water and thoroughly stir everything around together to dissolve the enzymes! I really think I may have been the first slow feeder we had because she had to shove her nose down between plastic pieces that may have had undissolved enzymes on them. Plus her only sore spots are on her lips, not inside her mouth. I appreciate the knowledge of what you do, it really helps!! We are currently feeding 2.5cups twice a day while she gains weight back, then we’ll be transitioning to the Sport Dog Elite food and cutting back to 1.5-2cups twice a day since it’s so much more calorically dense.

Jill,
We got a new slow feeder that has bigger channels, so if that doesn’t work then we’ll start trying a plate! We give her a few ice cubes after her meals now to try and help her clean out her mouth, but we can try the kibble in water too.

Thank you So much for your responses! Here’s a picture of the sores for reference:
Attachments
6AEBE84D-5905-42A0-84CF-30F8741C7202.jpeg
6AEBE84D-5905-42A0-84CF-30F8741C7202.jpeg (427.9 KiB) Viewed 3691 times

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 08 Feb 2020, 15:47

I love Jill's idea of kibble in water!
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Feb 2020, 16:01

Those are the little sores alright😥

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 09 Feb 2020, 11:34

Hello again!
So I hand-fed breakfast this morning and will do the same with dinner to try and give her lips a break from the enzymes. We are going to then switch to plate feeding for a while to see if it helps. One thing I noticed is that she’s hacking a lot and vomited some bile this morning, so I think she has some acid reflux from the enzymes as well. Poor baby can’t catch a break :( I went ahead and ordered some Slippery Elm Bark Powder from Wonderlabs, but it says they’re back ordered so I’m not sure when we’ll get it. I found a brand on Amazon that has good reviews, many of which are from pet parents. Does anyone have any experience using this brand in the interim? I’m just going to use it until the Wonderlabs comes in, but this can be here by tomorrow!
NOW Supplements, Slippery Elm Powder (Ulmus rubra), Non-GMO Project Verified, Herbal Supplement, 4-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UE25XQ/re ... qEbRD75FW6

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Feb 2020, 11:39

The NOW brand is very good.
Make sure you clean the muzzle after eating.

Jill

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 09 Feb 2020, 15:40

Thank you!! Does anyone know the suggested dosage? The Wonderlabs just says “one scoop,” but doesn’t specify how big the scoop is so I can’t translate it for the NOW brand.

And we are definitely cleaning her muzzle after meals! We’re having her go after ice cubes in her water bowl after every meal.

Ehellriegel

Post by Ehellriegel » 09 Feb 2020, 16:43

Nevermind on the dosing! I found the instructions on the Slippery Elm page on the main EPI4Dogs site :) 1/2 tsp with each meal!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Feb 2020, 13:50

Ice cubes are the best, and they love them to chase, they sterilise the mouth, I know nothing about this because in the main the UK enzymes dont cause issues

The thing i do know us that folk say is it resolved itself

Till then the flat plate and feed from hand
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Feb 2020, 14:16

Hi there! Glad you've got the B12 started. If I remember right Fi weighs around 57lbs? If so I would do 1 pill a day, which is the Texas A&M protocol. As for the mouth sores, some dogs are just more sensitive than others despite mixing the enzymes well and letting it sit. The flat plate and bobbing for kibbles are great tricks and usually work. You might also try using a little less water - you don't want any water to be sitting in the bowl - and in the most extreme cases, you can try grinding the kibble. I've been grinding the kibble since my boy was diagnosed almost 5years ago. With regard to the throwing up bile - it's likely from the SID because the B12 is still too low, but if after a few weeks you notice throwing up in the morning bile, you can feed a small enzyme meal right before bed.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.