Which way do I go?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
thunder
State: Illinois
Pet name: Raider
My name: Shan

Which way do I go?

Post by thunder » 23 Feb 2020, 17:06

I found out a month ago my German Shepherd Raider has epi. The tli test came back B12 was good. He didn’t need antibiotics. She put him on prozyme. I have been reading a lot on epi in the last month. So I put Raider on a grain free food. He seem to have a firmer bowel movement. The vet told me to switch to salmon and sweet potatoes. I did the last two weeks we are back to cow patties again. So she gave proviable dc on Thursday said by Monday he should be doing better. If not we will try Tylan. I asked her a few weeks ago about tylan she said he didn’t need it. I have heard the enzymes she gave me really won’t even help him. Not sure what to think and help?

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Which way do I go?

Post by Madelon » 23 Feb 2020, 18:37

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Do you have the test results? If not, please get a copy from your vet and post the TLI, B12 and Folate numbers here - it will help us be better able to offer suggestions. If your dog does have EPI, then the Prozyme will not help - EPI dogs require porcine enzyme replacement.

There are four cornerstones to properly managing EPI:

ENZYMES: Most of us use EnzymeDiane Pancreatin 6x (www.enzymediane.com) - recommended starting dose is 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble, mix in luke warm water to dissolve, mix in kibble and sit 20-30 minutes before serving.

B12: EPI dogs need their B12 to be on the high side of normal 600+. Most have low B12 at diagnosis or will develop it. You can either do shots or use WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills. B12 supplementing is for life with these dogs.

ANTIBIOTICS: In the beginning we recommend giving the proper protocol of enzymes, B12 and food a few weeks to see if the gut corrects itself. If not then a 45 day course of Tylan is recommended and slowly wean off. You can also try Slippery Elm Bark Powder before antibiotics https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

FOOD: We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less and avoid or limit peas. Feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day.

Keep a detailed journal o everything you give and everything that comes out so you'll know what's working and what isn't. Don't worry, we'll be here to help guide you along the way.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Feb 2020, 17:53

Take heart, you will be ok, and Raider will improve. Just so you know, Diane's Enzymes can be ordered directly from Diane, and she sends them quickly. She will also include an informative pamphlet. If you want to give Raider B12, you can order WonderLabs Pet with Intrinsic Factor, from the company or from Amazon, and you can even buy Tylan from an online source. I hope your vet will realize she doesn't know that much about EPI, and either educates herself or refers you to another vet. I had a similar experience. Take care---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 Feb 2020, 20:39

We always say the best vet is not necessarily one that is familiar with EPI but one that you trust and is willing to learn with you. Unfortunately EPI is not given much attention in veterinarian school because it is not as common as tick diseases, heartworms, etc. so many vets are unfamiliar with it or the most recent protocol.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.