recommend food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: recommend food

Post by Jean » 18 Mar 2020, 05:52

It would be interesting to know what excellent means in results terms, was it by blood test food fasted
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Mar 2020, 08:54

Yes Denise, I would agree with Jean on the B12 terminology the vet used. If the B12 is normal result that is not good enough for Epi. Please if you can have the vet email the results .pdf form. You will then have for future reference.😀

Nice to hear the poops are improving.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Mar 2020, 18:47

Hi Denise. Sorry for the late welcome/response. Unfortunately a lot of vets are misinformed by the big pharmaceutical companies regarding dosing of enzymes. Please no apologies for not looking at the entire site here - there is A LOT of information and it can be overwhelming - especially in the beginning. I'm going to break it down for you here so it will be easier for you to understand/find. There are four cornerstones to managing EPI: ENZYMES, B12, ANTIBIOTICS and FOOD

ENZYMES: The recommended starting dose is 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble, mix with a little luke warm water, mix in kibble and wait 20-30minutes before serving. Most of us use EnzymeDiane Pancreatin 6x - it's A LOT less expensive than the prescription enzymes from the vet - no prescription needed and shipped directly to your home.

B12: Most EPI dogs have low B12 at diagnosis OR WILL DEVELOP IT. EPI dogs need their B12 on the high side of normal 600+ and supplementing is for life. You can either follow our shot protocol or use the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills.

ANTIBIOTICS: In the beginning if dealing with a SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) flare up, we recommend using the right dose of enzymes, B12 and food for about two weeks to see if the gut will correct itself. If not, you can try Slippery Elm Bark Powder or a 45 day course of Tylan antibiotics.

FOOD: We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less and avoid peas - grains/legumes/fiber can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes. Feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller more frequent meals throughout the day until you reach goal weight.

I agree with Jean and Jill, get a copy of the test results so you have it on hand and I'm curious as to what the B12 number is. Keep a detailed journal of everything you give and the resulting poop so that you know what works and what doesn't. Don't worry, it's a lot in the beginning but we'll be here to guide you along the way.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 21 Mar 2020, 08:42

Hey, I haf a time deciding on a food that worked well for Kohle, I finally after much trial ended up with Sport Dog Elite. They have a variety of flavors and I like that the food I am giving Kohle is legume and grain free. You might look at there line of food. It's a little pricey, but in the end it saves on vet visits and additional meds and bouts of sid or sibo.
Kellie and kohle