rash

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
denise107
State: California
Pet name: Holly
My name: Denise

rash

Post by denise107 » 19 May 2020, 18:26

Hi,
My two-year-old german shepherd has been on the enzymes powder since Feb or March. she gained weight, and her poop looks good. But, Around her mouth is dry, she has a rash on her tummy, and her eye is icky. We are taking her to the vet today but just wanted to know if that could be from the enzymes? Does it change her ph or something? Or is it just allergies?
Denise

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: rash

Post by Olesia711 » 20 May 2020, 10:34

Hi Denise,

So sorry for the delayed response.... it sounds more like allergies.

Please check to see if she has what looks like sores in her mouth.... that would mean that she is overly sensitive to the enzymes and that you you prepare her food with the enzymes, you need to try adding a tsp or two of more water... OR.... what most people do is let the food sit maybe 10 minutes longer (incubate) so that the enzymes are not so caustic.

It is possible that the enzymes are causing a rash immediately around the mouth from caustic properties,in which case you can alleviate by wiping her mouth with a wet cloth after she eats.

Typically if a dog has an allergy to the enzymes (pork) which is very rare... then it displays with loose stools.

Because your dog has a rash in multiple places, like the tummy, i suspect this is not enzyme related.

Am interested in what the vet has to say.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........