Tick & Flea Meds Analysis 5-2020

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Tick & Flea Meds Analysis 5-2020

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2020, 14:33

Although this is a little off-topic, we feel it is well worth mentioning because so many EPI parents have questions about using which tick and flea med on their EPI pet. What is safe, what isn't.

We cannot tell you which product to use except to
1. stay away from the multi-purpose products that address tick, fleas and heartworms all in one..... we want to stay away from these kinds of products with our dogs (and cats) that are compromised due to EPI.
2. stay away from products that are too potent and only recommended to be given every 3, 6 , 9 or 12 months.... these are way too potent for our compromised dogs (and cats) due to EPI.

To read the indepth article / research..... please check it out here: https://epi4dogs.com/tick-flea-meds-analysis-5-2020/
It has a comprehensive list of tick and flea meds/ death rates/ rates of various health conditions triggered by certain products. A very good read.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Tick & Flea Meds Analysis 5-2020

Post by Madelon » 09 Jun 2020, 15:17

Thanks for the great information!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

sapresley
State: Louisiana
Pet name: Maddie
My name: Sherry

Post by sapresley » 10 Jun 2020, 10:49

I wanted to include reference to a link on giving dogs a foot soak at the end of the day. Alesia and I had a discussion on pesticides/herbicides and affect on animals and this link also addressing and goes deeper into those concerns since dog's feet and nose are the 2 places dogs sweat. This Dr. calls dog's feet little Swiffer dusters which is cute and so true. Below is the place to go to listen and watch this piece on the benefits of giving our dogs foot baths in the summer especially, cutting down on allergies, toxins, yeast and bacteria. She also had several alternatives to flea and tick control that are healthy and can be used alternately with chemical treatments. I found this very helpful and feel so badly that I didn't know about this a few years ago - it might have prevented the death of one of my dogs.
Sherry - Maddie's mom

MercolaHealthyPets
118K subscribers
SUBSCRIBE
http://healthypets.mercola.com/ Dr. Karen Becker, a proactive and integrative wellness veterinarian demonstrates foot soaks for your dogs.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jun 2020, 21:27

Thanks Sherry!

Great article.... but i had to go in and specifically type"Dr. Mercola foot soaks" and this came up.
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... -bath.aspx
... in short, just soak your dogs feet nightly (especially in summer) with povidone iodine (betadine) and water.... use just enough to make the water look like tea..

I used to wash my Lulu's feet whenever she started chewing them a lot.... but i only did it because she had allergies, i never thought to think it thru further,,, that as a dog walks outside, they step on and pick up all kinds of toxins.... so this is a really good routine to practice!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Jun 2020, 05:30

it would likely be useful for grass seed intollerances as they get between the pads

Kai my middle Shepherd had this all of his life we used to wash his paws when he came in from a walk anywhere near grass

he had to take anti histamines all the time we had him, 10 years

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Jun 2020, 08:18

THat's how i started out with Lulu's allergies... i too used to just wipe down the paws, but then i started dipping in a little bowl of water with Betadine (same thing as Povidone ) and for us it worked better with the allergies.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 15 Jun 2020, 20:09

Great information. Thanks!

Barb

sapresley
State: Louisiana
Pet name: Maddie
My name: Sherry

Post by sapresley » 17 Jun 2020, 18:52

This is a very good post subject, not something I ever thought about doing even though I knew our dogs were probably getting a lot of herbicides on their feet! I didn't know the Betadine was a natural product either. So glad so many knowledgeable people on here; way too much for any one person so remember:)

Molly
State: New Hampshire
Pet name: Connor
My name: Molly

Post by Molly » 20 Jun 2020, 07:29

I’m glad I read back a few posts. I wonder if this is what is going on with our dog’s paw right now. He’s on an antihistamine and a light steroid and that has started to promote some healing. I should wash his feet every time he comes in. Allergies are awful this year. Especially right now.
Attachments
8C411E40-3541-41C4-ABA3-D807A2BB56C7.jpeg
8C411E40-3541-41C4-ABA3-D807A2BB56C7.jpeg (100.08 KiB) Viewed 5328 times

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 21 Jun 2020, 21:29

I've had great results using a Chlorhexadine shampoo (recommended by our dermatologist) and athletes foot cream on the paw (recommended by our vet after several cultures and all coming back as yeast). It's definitely a puzzle figuring out what works with allergies.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.