New Member First Post

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
zuzupetals
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Tig

Re: New Member First Post

Post by zuzupetals » 08 Sep 2020, 19:16

Hi thanks for your quick response and thoughts. I don't have the actual result details, I have asked for a copy and will definitely post once I have them. I have not tried Bailey on any enzymes or the slippery elm yet but would like to try as she definitely is having some issues. I hope to get to the herbal store in the next day or so and will check on line re the enzymes.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Sep 2020, 20:09

Definitely try some slippery elm powder.... jsut a little... don't over do because too much can give loose stools. On this page it tells you the suggested dosage for SLippery Elm:
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

Next, regarding enzymes..... as Madelon suggested, if/when you can post the actual test results here, that would be really helpful for us regarding what to suggest to you. But in the meantime... what i would do, mostly because she is an older dog, and as they age, like people, things just don't work as efficiently as they used too, many older dogs (and people) are recommended to try mild digestive enzymes like plant enzymes. These are cheap and over-the counter. SO... IMHO, before sending a lot of money on high dose actual porcine enzymes, i would first try some doggie plant enzymes to see if they help.

THe only think i would like to strongly recommend is to try one thing at a time for a few days before trying the next thing... tis way you will know what helps or hinders.

Please keep us posted! And Good News that this is not EPI!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 09 Sep 2020, 17:39

I didn't get a chance to pick up the test reports today, will go tomorrow hopefully and then post the details. Bailey is not having a good day today. Stools are just mush, the bland diet does not seem to help at all. I also need to pick up the slippery elm. Today just got away from me and now I feel so guilty.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Sep 2020, 19:02

Hi. Don't feel bad. Life happens and you are doing your best. Just call the receptionist at the vet and ask them to send you a .pdf of the test results to your email.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 09 Sep 2020, 19:41

Hello Jill thanks for your kind words. Yes that would work. Not sure why I didn’t think of the email. Seems like I have a head of mush!! Lol😄. Bailey is sleeping now after bugging for food all day. Funny some days she hunts for food others she has zero interest.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Sep 2020, 23:28

We say It's your pet, your money! They are usually happy to do that for you.
Nice to have them sleeping with a full tummy when they eat.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 10 Sep 2020, 17:22

Hi I have the results of Bailey's tests for EPI here they are
TLI = 27.1
Cobalamin (B12) = 184
Folate = 20
If you someone can interpret them for me that would be wonderful. Any further suggestions as to what I can give her to help with her diahreaa would be most helpful. Yesterday was not a good day and she had me up 3 times during the night and today it's like watery slime. (sorry)

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Sep 2020, 18:13

The test results indicate it is not EPI with A score of 27.1
Range for canines: 5.7- 45.2 ug/l

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tli/

The Cobalamin range
Reference Interval Cobalamin Folate Canine 251 - 908 ng/L 7.7 - 24.4 µg/L
Your pups at 184 needs supplementation. I would ask my vet or did he give you advice.

Jill

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 11 Sep 2020, 06:23

Morning thank you for your input. No the vet did not provide any suggestions related to the test results. But now I know, I will ask him abut the B12. Bailey had another rough night, got me up twice, I am at my wits end and just don't know what to do about her tummy issues. The vet keeps telling me keep her on her bland diet, which I have, but there is no real improvement. I feel so sorry for her, she must be in so much discomfort. It makes me cry and I feel so helpless. I am hoping the slippery elm works. I will keep you posted. Have a nice week-end.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Sep 2020, 09:48

Yes hoping the SE will help. Have you tried plain canned pumpkin?
Did you already post what food you feed?
As Olesia suggested , plant enzymes might be a direction to proceed. I have had good results with both Totalzymes and Prozyme.

Another thought is the chicken and rice diet. Sometimes chicken can be an issue, sometimes grains are an issue.

Adding one thing at a time only and keep a diary so you know what works or not.

Down the line I might replace the chicken with lean boiled ground beef for a few days. Then I would probably try a food with limited ingredients like whitefish and sweet potato, no grain.
Just some suggestions.

Jill